• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Block Edgehog

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
I didn't really see a specific thread for this or a video, so I decided to toss something I recorded up even though it's likely already known.

Because you can now maintain a slide during a neutral B out of a dash, the Climbers can slide off the edge into hog while doing Ice Block. Usually this will result in the actual Ice Block getting canceled, sometimes with no animation and sometimes showing some of or the entire block depending on your timing. If you do it just right, however, the ICs will slide off, release the actual blocks and automatically edgehog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2diaLs6SbjY

J'dig?

Straylit

Smash Cadet
Though i commend you on and interesting find, i dont see it being too useful unless you can do it effortlessly every time. And maybe it was just because you had just found it or something but you made it look difficult to do it every time without fail.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
I'd probably put it around the same difficulty as a perfect wavedash or so, maybe a little easier. It's all about learning the timing, as you need to start the slide early enough to get the block out but late enough to still fall off.

But yeah, I wasn't doing it too well in the vid. Been working on which characters can do it and each has a different timing on their slide and other johns, etc. ;)

Myst007_teh_newb

Smash Journeyman
It isn't really way more effective than simply falling off of the edge to edgehog. It's kind of like platform cancelling in the fact that it's useful when you get it perfectly on (By getting the ice block off before the fall), but it totally screws you over if you make even the slightest error. The cons outweigh the pros in my opinion.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
There was a thread some time ago on tactical discussion I think we a list of all the effects you get from doing B attacks as you slide off a platform. Some attacks cancel, some attacks cause you to stop, some attacks just make you slide off doing the attack and some actually cause you to gain distance from the sliding (Try blizzard as you run off a platform).

Grabbing the ledge with iceblock instead of just hugging is probably useless :(

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I think it's worth practicing. It seems like a win-win situation to me. Even if you miss the ice block, you still get on the ledge at a decent speed.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
I think it's worth practicing. It seems like a win-win situation to me. Even if you miss the ice block, you still get on the ledge at a decent speed.
This, yes. There is a chance of pulling up short but, assuming the frame window is more than just 1 frame, closer to 3 or 4, you could get your timing nearer to the "slide with full block visible but then canceled" then "shoot ice block a frame too early and not fall to edgehog". Neither is what you're going for exactly but an edgehog will usually be better than the projectiles (opponent-dependent, of course).

You lost your partner in the process.
D;
Haha, it's actually a little easier for me to time with just one IC. I realize it's the same timing, but yeah, visually it's just a tad simpler for me.

Top Bottom