• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IC: Developing a BRAWL Game. New Info

Som

Smash Cadet
My Background

Okay hi everyone a little background on me. I'm fairly new to smash I've been playing for about 4 months. However I am not new to competitive gaming playing mostly 3rd strike. I played Jiggly and placed second in our university tournament, after losing the finals to a beastly Samus. At the very end of Melee I was playing Icy's as my second and looking forward to maining them in brawl.

recently I got access to a modded Wii and a copy of Brawl

now here is where the horror begins ... * lol

when I first picked Icy's I was in shock the Ice climbers are now slow really really slow...
no more wave dashing, I had to stop myself from attempting to do it on twitch reaction.
Most of the old desyncs are out now. I've gotten dash dance to work, and couple others which I cant figure out yet exactly. If your use to dominating with Icy's in the last one, be prepared to lose, at least at first because this Icy's is altogether a different beast.

Nerfs

-Killing power on b-air, f-s, d-s, u-s

-slow so, so, slow now

-not as many desyncs so far, they seem to sync up allot faster now. (this could be good or bad in some ways)

-wavedash,-wave grab, wave smash is out

-Ice cubes don't take as much damage as they use to, they also melt faster now

So with all this I was beginning to think the climbers where unplayable but luckily they got some buffs as well

Buffs

-both climbers can now grab ledge, and they can tether recover to get back

-f-air and n -air is much improved and their air game in general is allot better now

-Side B is now close to broken. Invincibility frames on start-up (tested against a donkey punch). Its invincible (early frames), it breaks shields, a very fast re-sync, can set-up combos, help you get in without wavedash, and can help you defensively get out of combos. The landing lag is reduced on this move and it hits much harder.

-some of their moves can hit for insane amounts of damage , I once hit a d-smash for close to 40 hp (tipper maybe?)

-standard grab range (without wave dash) seems to be improved and throw combos are still in

-d-special is improved

So far I've struggled with some really tough match ups, must notably against diddy and Ike

But I've had some success with the Icy's playing them, as mostly an aerial character, using the side special to get in, and zoning with cubes/n-air. Finally though brawl is not generally about edge-gaurding Icy's need to do this allot with their dilapidated killing moves. I've gotten several kills off edge guarding with them which I don't get with other characters. * Power sheilding it seems is going to be very important skill for the climbers. (more on this latter).

I got some tournament vids for you guys coming up, (I finished second to an amazing diddy) and some more info on brawl Icy match-ups.
But for now I got to take care of the girlfriend (at least for valentines day lolz) :)

My Vids

these videos are very old we will try to get some newer ones soon to reflect the changes in they way we/I am playing our climbers

Som (IC) vs Kyle (DK)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwdhTVf3HPI

Som (IC) vs Kyle (DK) 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMy3LrWQWJE

Som (IC) vs Kyle (DK) 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4uDAPyau6I

Som (IC) vs Kyle (DK) 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP3dZY9Retw

Som (IC) vs Kyle (DK) 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYAg7knsCVA

Som (IC) vs Kyle (DK) 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnIutHfaLDs

Som (IC) vs Kyle (DK) 7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6knqBrlyd4M

TheSlyMoogle (Fox) vs Som (IC)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrdcEZl1dLE

Som (IC) vs Jonathan_Meadows (Diddy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxRXPa7WMRg

How to beat Diddy

Edit (1)

Diddy is a beast, definitely one of the better characters in this game under our current understanding of it. I get to play a decent Diddy quite a bit, after losing close to 20 matches straight against him, I started to worry that this was an impossible match up. I know know its not, and in fact as this game progressive I can see it being even or even in favor of Icy's.

Here's what murders Icy's in this mathcup- (what to look out for as well)

(1) f-air, is **** it comes out fast, has high priority and has huge knock back

(2) f-smash is also **** it hits twice and has amazing knock back

(3) banana set ups can force separation of your climbers

(4) Didy's air doge and spot doge can make you think twice about attacking

(5) running a combos like crazy into f-smash and the like, its also safe unless...

YOU PARRY it..(twice). this is going to be a huge part of the ice climbers game in brawl

were going to have to learn to parry (power shield) like mad men. This changes the matchup completely

for example the Diddy player normally could spam f-air, and the knock back from a blocked forward air will leave you out of throw range and unable to punish unless you parry it. When you parry the attack the knock back is reduced and you can immediately grab, and set up a decent grab combo, and a possible reset. This is Huge ! you can do the same thing for running A. Power shielding (what I like to call parrying) is allot easer in brawl and is going to be key for getting throws and the ice climber game in general. Without mastery of it the Diddy battle is heavily in his favor.

so what else helps in this battle? well currently I'm playing a mostly defensive mindset, when I attempt to naturalize running a's with down tilts. block or parry f-airs (I've tried and nothing the climbers have will stop f-air effectively ( the smashes are to slow, and their tilts cannot effectively stop it, neither can their specials). You need to parry it ! then you can grab and punish with a combo. Another strategy I employ is to stay in the air and jump away defensively with your natural which is active for so long. Diddy has an amazing air doge but it can be mind gamed when you figure out Icy Ariel game. Three main approaches when you need to get it involve (1) your running a which you can follow up with a u-air or, mind game an air doge for greater punishment. (2) when you predict a banana toss or running a from mid distance use the invincibility frames from a forward special to get in. (3) there is still the dysnced approach. (4) the air approach (more info as it develops).

one last word of caution this match up is not easy, and you will lose allot at the begging and maybe with ice climbers in general. But it is winnable and if your good at power shielding and grab combos and smart play its winnable, maybe even in our favor.

How to do the brawl chain grab! and other combos

okay today my buddy Kyle, came over and we work and the "infinite" looking chain grab.

this is how it works, you need nana nearby. Popo grabs and back throws when he back throws there's a couple frames where the opponent is "bounced" on the ground before he goes flying. This is where you need to grab them. Its easer on big characters ie- Donkey but I've tested it successfully on pikachu/lugi and got it to work.

For now the timing is really hard so I'm focusing on one rep and one main combo with it.
Here's the input (1) popo grab (2) back on the control stick (3) back & z for nana to regrab (4) forward on the control stick, this will toss you opponent forward and set popo running (5) finally f-air for the spike and kill if off the edge. combo is hawt, try it out.

Updated * there are a couple variations on the chain throws

the 4 main ones include

(1) grab nana spike with f-air, re-grab if they appear to be standing after the spike. If they get knocked down then jab them with a forced wake up an attempt to re-grab. this is a decent combo first mentioned by virtual void, and is great for inflicting heavy damage quickly and is moderately easy to do. More testing needs to be done to see if opponnents can't reliable tech roll out of this.

(2) the back throw combo I mentioned

(3) the same as back air air but replace it with forward throw

(4) down throw running across the map, this combo demonstrated by Paxz follows the same principle as the back throw but its done with the down throw instead. after the first throw you have to run forward and re-grab into down throw. Possible the second easiest its heavily reliant on spacing and is the mostly doesn't work when your climbers are de-synced. This is opposed to the back throw or forward throw chain grabs which you can compensate and readjust easer. You could for example initiate a backthrow chaingrab if nana is behind you or a forward throw if she's infront of you.

Also we got another combo to work

(1) F-air to grab on low percentages (check it out on the second Donkey Icy Video underneath it happens really early on)

Som (IC) vs Kyle (DK) 2

(2)I was able to combo an edge-guarding ice cube into a footstool jump for a kill on dk

(3) this needs to be confirmed but it seems that a short hoped fastfalled back-air might be able to combo into down-smash when timed correctly

(4) working on some combos with n-air its looks like it has very little lag and combo potential

Right now I'm working on some consistent desync approaches combos, and trying to out with up-b, will post up some new info on that soon/ .

New Desyncs!

updated* I was messing around in training mode and testing out some dysncs and I descovered around 12 more here they are some of them are insanely hard and likely not to be very usefull. I'll put a star on easy ones and a + on the seemingly usefull ones.

(1) *+ do your forward b special in the air tap on the button to get elevation, right before you land you can buffer a desync

(2)* the" blond roll" I use to do this by accident all the time, when done right it looks exactly like popo is rolling one way and nana bless her lolz is rolling the wrong way. its done by pressing back and L at the same time.

(3) *popo back roll nana forward grab. Back and z at the same time let go of the control stick quickly to have her do a forward throw towards the direction your facing

(4) *popo back roll nana backwards grab. Same but hold the control stick for a longer duration to turn nana around.

(5)+ spot doge nana, backroll popo, press downback and L at the same time. You need strict timming to pull it off

(6) platform drop de-sncy- jump up on the platform and immediately press down (fast fall might help) the instant popo lands (before nana) the result is one ice climber will drop and the other will stay.

(7)* + this might be obvious but its still can be useful, but after a failed nana-polt attempt you get a free de-sync.

(8) press the direction pad exactly in between uptilt and forward tilt, and press the attack button at the exact moment and you get a de-sync where one climber forward tilts and the other uptilts

(9) same thing for down and forward tilt

(10) same for uptilt and jump at the exact moment will result in one climber up-tilting on the ground and the other jumping into the air timing is strict !

(11)* jump de-sync, hold down block and jump right when popo hits the ground (jump deysnc)

(12) blond roll when your standing on the edge and it will result in popo air dogging off the sage and nana rolling forward. (don;t know how useful this is lol)

Finch

Smash Lord
Though it seems they will have to be played completely differently, this really gives a lot of hope for me towards maining them a second time around. Especially about the side B as an approaching move.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Really can't wait for vids. I hope ICs will be a lot better when mastered, maybe we just need to look at their weaknesses and find ways around them. I'm glad their aerial game is better as well. Grab combos still in rocks too ;p. Awsome post, good work man. Psy.

Som

Smash Cadet
IC's definitely have some potential this time around. They are a different beast than they were in Melee though
to early to tell for sure but I was really thinking they were garbage. I no longer think so though ! but wow they are different! I agree with that completely

Lightning Ice

Smash Journeyman
It's always great to get some Ice Climbers impression, hopefully I can avoid Diddy players and it looks like Parrying is going to be very effective for the Ice climbers in general.

Binx

Smash Master
Lets not replace the word power shielding with parry please. Anyways with a good Binx Block into a Binx combo, or Bombo if you will, and you can beat anyone this is also sometimes incorrectly known as a powershield to any 2 moves or more the ice climbers can do.

Good to know powershielding is easier to do this time around since I brought up PSing into grabs back in the melee Ice Climber discussion thread.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Anti-Diddy Tactics are discussed well Som, I think you should also mention the potential of Banana's in YOUR offense as anyone can catch the item and use them against Diddy, ultimately this is the downfall to Banana games. I also feel you should bold some stuff in your text to make it easier to follow, IE: Where the impressions end and the Match-up discussed.

Can Nana catch a Banana as Popow is doing something else?
What Banana set-ups are most effective for the IC's to use?
Do the IC's have any Knockdown OKI set-ups? Cam banana's be implemented here?

Vids in an hour.
Kyle~

UPDATE-

There's only 4 because Som decided to play Metaknight for SemiFinals and Zelda in GrandFinals. Sorry IC fans.

Som (IC) vs Kyle (DK)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwdhTVf3HPI

Som (IC) vs Kyle (DK) 2

TheSlyMoogle (Fox) vs Som (IC)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrdcEZl1dLE

Som (IC) vs Jonathan_Meadows (Diddy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxRXPa7WMRg

4 Som
Jais (Snake) vs Som (Zelda)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHZFr3FUhMU

Ben@MSU (Yoshi) vs Som (Metaknight) SEMIFINAL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSO7YBzNBe0

Jonathan_Meadows (Diddy) vs Som (Zelda) GRANDFINALS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIBGLXBLc70

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
I've updated with the last of Som vids. One against my DK is almost embaressing, I got *****.

However, I am curious as to why there is little to no activity around here... Are the IC the least popular/most inactive character on Smashboards?

Why do you guys like IC? Let's start with that.

JusDBerube

Smash Cadet
I've been playing Ice Climbers since day one in Melee. I haven't decided if I will main Ice Climbers in Brawl yet, I want to play more of the game before I make a choice.

As for why I like the Ice Climbers? I think it's because I like the whole idea of two characters at once. When I first saw the Melee trailer at E3 2001 I was hyped up. I talked with many people who were able to go to the Nintendo press conference and they told me Ice Climbers were two chars at once. I thought of all the possibilities and was pretty happy. Also I owned the game before they were in Melee so I knew who they were.

I thought it would be completely unfair to have another character help you out, and possibly have a CPU on your side for 1 on 1 matches. While it didn't turn out to be as game breaking as I had thought I was still excited and learned many of the tricks Ice Climbers had to offer.

Over the years I came to find that few people liked playing as the Ice Climbers. It always was odd to me because I always felt they were a strong character choice. People would always go into matches underestimating me and then when I owned them they would be shocked. It was a lot of fun winning matches with an underdog even though I knew they were a beast. I liked opening people's minds about how good this character could be. At some of the tournaments I played at I often heard things like, "He's using Ice Climbers? Does he just want to lose?"

Over the years though more and more people began to use Ice Climbers in a more competitive sense. They were then also pushed up the tier list and I'm pretty happy about that. Ice Climbers rule.

Now as for why people don't like to play as them? I don't fully understand it myself. People say it's too complicated with two characters but I never found it much of a problem. I think they just have a problem when they have to save Nana or when you want to resync up so the CPU doesn't really take over. I think this is an annoying problem for most people but I never found it to be that hard or annoying.

Another thing against the Ice Climbers is that they are kind of an obscure character. Most people haven't heard of them or their game. So I think it kinda turns people off when they go to select that character.

That's just about all I can think of right now.

CK20XX

Smash Rookie
Man, I felt like a football fan watching the first video. I kept going, "No no you're doing it wrong! Why'd you wait so long to use Belay?! And be aggressive in the air! Run toward them, scoop 'em up, then pursue with an Up or Backward aerial to knock them off!" The rest we very nice though.

Scoop (Dash + A) may end up substituted with Squall Hammer (Forward + B) depending. The former knocks opponents upward, setting them for perfectly for aerials since the Ice Climbers have little forward or backward movement in the air, but the latter looks like it's been made more approachable thanks to extra invincibility frames. Hm...

CK20XX

Smash Rookie
As for why I like them? Well... it might have something to do with them being a pair, making them unique not only in Smash Brothers, but also when put up against every fighting game ever made. Not even Chang and Choi from SNK vs. Capcom fight like them.

I remember when I first bought Melee, I almost returned it after trying it out. Kirby, my favorite, was nerfed, and the game played so much faster than before that I couldn't get a hold on it. Determined not to give up though, I tried out other characters... and quickly became enamored with the Ice Climbers. They were fresh and unique, fairly quick and straightforward, but most importantly their smashes were quick and easy to get off, plus they could do more damage than even Bowser as a pair. They were the Alpha Beginner characters for me. Their play style allowed me to learn the game, master it, and master them as well.

Binx

Smash Master
I was a Marth main for a long time like the first year I played the game, I really liked the range, the easy combos the insane recovery the great grabs, chain throwing people. Anyways I got bored of playing Marth and decided I wanted to main a character who would be fun regardless of if they were the best character in the game or not, so I started watching all kinds of vids, reading character specific boards to get tips on what they could do, then over the next three months I played almost all of my matches as Ice Climbers until I knew all their range had a very good feel for nana's AI when I could and couldn't recover and all kinds of stuff like that.

What got me interested in them in the first place though was this REALLY TERRIBLE ice climber player, I don't remember his name but he did a roll to 2 ice blocks and a nanapult and I thought that was so cool, and basically Nanapulting got me to play them, I don't use it much cause it's awful but they are fun and I love the cute little Eskimos.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
As a defensive technique, I suggest using reverse jumping down+b.

Down+b's can be reversed much like neutral+b's could in Melee, and the IC's blizzard has the most range of all their moves. Using a jump into a reversed one would be a solid retreating option, IMO. Just a suggestion.

Phlemingo

Smash Ace

Down+b's can be reversed much like neutral+b's could in Melee, and the IC's blizzard has the most range of all their moves. Using a jump into a reversed one would be a solid retreating option, IMO. Just a suggestion.
How do you do that?

Finch

Smash Lord
Jump in one direction. While in the air hit the control stick once in the opposite direction. Press down B. You should do a blizzard in the opposite direction you were facing.

Som

Smash Cadet
Man, I felt like a football fan watching the first video. I kept going, "No no you're doing it wrong! Why'd you wait so long to use Belay?! And be aggressive in the air! Run toward them, scoop 'em up, then pursue with an Up or Backward aerial to knock them off!"
lolz yeah ideally that would be sweet. Two things though against Donkey its tough to come in on him, in the air he's got an excellent back kick that will beat out almost any direct assault, sometimes you need to mind game him to get in. Also without l-canceling almost any areal is throw bait unless your very careful with spacing. I'm find neutral air the best for that ! Back air can work sometimes to though depending on the angle, though it doesn't out like it use to :(

Som

Smash Cadet

nice actually I was just experiment with short hop blizzard as an offensive approach, and it look s sweet! I gotta try the back jump blizzard. I've got some hot desynced blizzard grabs today, I'm going try using more of it, see what it can do.

Why do I play icy's

I started messing around with them in Melle and although a jiggly main at the time, I just had so much fun wave-smashing. It was incredible fun "warping" across the screen and delivering a crushing blow. In brawl wave dashing is out so I almost gave up on them. But then I started learning more about their game in general. The more you play them the more they grow on you, and once I started desyncing and grab combos (which is right where I'm at now) I'm sold.

Yeah I know I played a few characters in the tournament (G&W, Zelda, Icy's, Meta) lol. This game is still new and I was trying out some other characters to see what they can do, probably should have stuck with climbers in the finals. I tried to avoid the Icy Diddy fight as its really hard at this point. It wont be so tough once better at chain grabbing, which btw I'm updating the first post on how to do them right now, if anyone once to give it a shot.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
I like the IC's because the players actually care for Nana, their like,"NOOOOO NANNANANNA NOOOOOOO" every time she gets KO'd or potentially KO'd. I've also heard, "What dumb ***** you are NANA... sigh"but, we're hard on her because we love her, amirite?

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Double post VIDS-

Second stock of "Som (IC) vs Kyle (DK)7" is amazing.

Som (IC) vs Kyle (DK) 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4uDAPyau6I

Som (IC) vs Kyle (DK) 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP3dZY9Retw

Som (IC) vs Kyle (DK) 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYAg7knsCVA

Som (IC) vs Kyle (DK) 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnIutHfaLDs

Som (IC) vs Kyle (DK) 7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6knqBrlyd4M

Som (IC) vs Jonthan_Meadows (Bowser)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IawGo1q7T_Y

4 SOM-
Som (Jiggly) vs Jonathan_Meadows (Diddy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7y3x2Ml6Fc

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Bumping this thread because it has Important info, especially for newer players. Sticky Maybe? But seriously, why isn't there a single stickied thread in the IC'? SWF really bothers me sometimes...

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I've managed to do an interesting desynch from a SH-Bair in that after the Bair perform a Reverse aerial Blizzard IN THE SAME SHORTHOP and only Nana or Popo will perform the blizzard, allowing the other to follow-up with whatever. The timing is really hard(I've gotten it down to about 30% consistency). I don't know the exact timing but it may be helpful. *shrugs*

Som

Smash Cadet
I've managed to do an interesting desynch from a SH-Bair in that after the Bair perform a Reverse aerial Blizzard IN THE SAME SHORTHOP and only Nana or Popo will perform the blizzard, allowing the other to follow-up with whatever. The timing is really hard(I've gotten it down to about 30% consistency). I don't know the exact timing but it may be helpful. *shrugs*
interesting in the past I've gotten an occasional desync from sh-b-a but I haven't been able to reproduce it, I wonder if this has anything to do with the buffered pivot on aerial you mentioned you might be inputing the pivot buffer within the aerial .I'm going to test this out tonight and update and see if we cant figure this out.

Som

Smash Cadet
okay I went to try out the short hop b-air dysnc got a little sidetracked and ended discovering a new one, aerial hit dysnc

when you hit your opponent with an aerial, input an attack just before you land (about 4 frames leeway) and you can dysnc on landing.

so now we have dysnc from missed aerials from a buffered pivot (as Speedsk8er discovered)

and now we have free dysnc on aerial hit.

lolz try not to get carried away and try the other dysnc tonight and see if we cant confirm it.

Also this thread is going to get rewritten soon with all the ice-climber brawl info in one place. I found some really interesting findings and I cant wait to share em with my fellow icy's :)

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Bump until MODS sticky this as it s the most informative and structured thread in the entire Ice Climbers forumz.

BTW- Congratulations on your Pikachu Som.

Kurosagi

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a fan of your squall spamming really. If anything it should only be used as an approach to get the grab game going, which I didn't see any of. I think VirtualVoid is the only one who should be making a stickied topic because i think he's has the best handle on the ICs thus far.

Top Bottom