• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I wrote about Nintendo for school!!!

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
Hey. In my class we had to write an essay on Japan. I did mine on Shigeru Miyamote. Tell me what you think. My teacher gave it a 95.

Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, and Pikmin are just some of the games he created. He spends twelve hours of his day working for Nintendo. He is Shigeru Miyamoto. Nintendo is one of the longest running video game franchises in history. Shigeru has been the main man behind over seventy of Nintendo games. Most of which, in my opinion, are fantastic games. Without Miyamoto, the world of video games would not be the same; it would be a lot worse. Japan is known as a leader in electronic technology. Shigeru has definitely helped Japan gain that role.

Shigeru Miyamoto was born on November 16, 1952 in Kyoto, Japan. Kyoto is located in the middle western part of the island of Honshu and is surrounded by mountains. It is also known for housing big technology companies. One of which is Nintendo. The young prodigy would often go exploring. One day he stumbled upon a huge cave. Shigeru would visit this cave but wouldn’t go in. One day though he gathered up the courage to go into the huge cavern. The cave, and other things he has seen, have greatly influenced his art of making games. As a kid he loved to draw. He wanted to be either a comic book artist or a puppeteer. In a way he has become both of those.

He enrolled at Kanazawa College of Art in 1970. The college was founded in 1946 and Shigeru is the most famous person to come out of the college since. He graduated five years later with a degree in industrial design. Miyamoto then asked his father to contact his friend, Hiroshi Yamauchi, the head of Nintendo Japan. Hiroshi hired Miyamoto as a staff artist, but then made him an apprentice of Gupei Yokoi who was leading the video game portion of Nintendo. In 1980, arcade games were the big thing. So Nintendo of Japan made a game called Radar Scope. But when the machines got shipped out arcades games had become less popular. So what did Hiroshi do? He turned to Miyamoto for help, a decision that rocketed Japan to be the most successful country to make video games.

Miyamoto had to alter the Radar Scope machine into an entirely new game using the mechanics of the previous game, pixilated graphics, and an electronic keyboard. With only that he had to design a game that would either launch Nintendo into fame or be the downfall of the company. He made the biggest game in history without any prior programming skills. Alas, Donkey Kong was created. The game is based on a character named Mario (previously named Jumpman) who had to rescue a damsel in distress named Pauline (later renamed Peach). Donkey Kong is the gorilla who kidnaps Pauline. Mario jumps over barrels and slides on conveyer belts to rescue Pauline. There are four levels and each is harder than the last. The game revolutionized video games by creating the most successful and recognizable video game character in history. Mario has starred in over 100 games on over 12 consoles. Mario sold over 193 million units.

Miyamoto followed up Donkey Kong with a popular sequel, Donkey Kong Junior. Then he came out with the 2 player arcade game Mario Bros.. It appeared on some Atari home console systems. Then in 1984 he made a game called Devil World in which the object was to collect items such as crosses and bibles to a seal to move to the next level. This game was not released in the U.S.A.. Nintendo released their first home console in 1983 in Japan. It is called the Famicom in Japan and the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) in America. Miyamoto created 7 games for the Famicom including the debut game of Link in The Legend of Zelda and the most successful video game of all time, Super Mario Bros.. Then the Super Famicom (SNES) came out in 1990 in Japan. Miyamoto made 13 extremely popular games for the Super Famicom including F-Zero, Super Mario World, and, Star Fox. The Famicom and the Super Famicom were so popular that other Japanese companies made clone machines that could take the games from the Famicoms.

In 1989, Nintendo released the Game Boy. It is a portable game system that was and still is successful. There have been 10 different portable game systems that Nintendo has made. Here they are in chronological order: Game and Watch, Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Light, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP, Game Boy Micro, Nintendo DS, and the Nintendo DS Light. Myamoto has been involved in 14 of these handheld consoles games.

The Nintendo 64 came out in Japan in 1996. 13 of these games were directed by Shigeru Miyamoto. My personal favorite games for the N64 are Super Smash Brothers, Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, and Paper Mario. This system uses an analog stick instead of a control pad and the games are 3-D. The Nintendo Gamecube was released in 2001 and is the first Nintendo console to use disks rather than cartridges. Our main man Miyamoto directed around 20 games for the Gamecube. The big titles are Luigi’s Mansion, Super Smash Brothers Melee, Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime 1 and 2. The Nintendo Wii is the latest console that came out this month in December. Myamoto is currently working on Super Mario Galaxy. He already has directed the game The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess, which has gotten rave reviews.

As you can see, Myamoto is not just a game designer but a Japanese icon. He was the first person accepted into the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences’ Hall of Fame. He is also featured in Time magazine as one of Asia’s biggest hero’s. Without him the world of video gaming would be nothing. He not only revolutionized gaming, he took all of our imaginations, rolled them up into a gooey piece of slop, and sculpted the games we all wanted but that no one could make except for him. Miyamoto may not be too much of a historical figure now, but I guarantee that when time goes on and games progress, people will look back at a man who made video games and see a legend.

The paragraphs didnt work to well. I pasted it from word.
Hope you enjoyed it.Tell me what you thought.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
freshman in highschool. Younger than a lot of people here. So keep that in mind K.
Sweet dude. The younger you start writing, the better off you are (even though this was a school paper:laugh: ).

This is still a pretty weak essay. You jump from point to point without making any real connections. Also, your transitions between sentences need work. You talk about the companies in Kyoto, then you talk about Miyamoto going exploring. It's just not a good transition mid-paragraph. Then you end with Miyamoto liking to draw. If you're writing an essay, each of these things should have their own paragraph. Even if you have like 20 paragraphs when you're done, it would still look better then what you have right.

It's a great start, but it needs work. Keep writing and I know you'll get better.

Top Bottom