• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I want to buy the wireless PowerA GC controller but I have a question

Kyl

Smash Rookie
Just have a few questions, is it worth the $49.99? Also is the claim that the shoulder buttons require full pressure to use true?

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Yes you have to press all the way down for the shoulder buttons. They're not analog and I believe this was done because the pro controller itself is only digital. Is it worth $50? Depends on what you plan to get out of it. I'll go ahead and give my review of it.

The controller has all the buttons to a pro controller along with motion controls. Only exclusions are to be rumble and NFC reader for amiibos. You can play any game with them without having to worry about losing any buttons unlike the official GameCube controllers. You can play games just fine with it but the controls may feel weird because of the button layout but some games make sense.

Now how the controller feels compared to an official GameCube controller, the buttons have a more clicky feel and sound louder, the shoulder buttons are smaller than the original, but everything else is pretty good quality and it's almost as good as the official controller.

If you plan to be competitive, this wouldn't be the best choice as again those shoulder buttons are digital and you won't have the input out as fast as you would with an official one. That and wireless generally have slightly more input lag than wired controllers. I personally think it's great for smash but I'll use it for more a casual and then whip out the official one to be more competitive.

Basically I think this controller is a good alternative to a pro controller, but if you plan to only play smash with it, it's good but the official controller is plainly better. If you don't already have a GC adapter nor an official controller, that may be more expensive than this wireless controller, but you can also just buy the wired powerA version which is $25 but you lose motion controls. If you really don't want to go wired then this would be your best choice, not unless you rather want to stick with a pro controller.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I’ve seen that the rubber on the control sticks will flake and fall apart pretty fast if you use them heavily. They also run on AA batteries. I wouldn’t make it your main tournament controller (if you’re into that scene) - but would probably be fine to use at home. It does work as intended, and it’s nice to not have to deal with wires.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
That and wireless generally have slightly more input lag than wired controllers.
Actually, the testing videos I've seen on Youtube show that wired actually has slightly more lag than wireless. It's usually only an extra frame though, not massively inconvenient.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Actually, the testing videos I've seen on Youtube show that wired actually has slightly more lag than wireless. It's usually only an extra frame though, not massively inconvenient.
Wired has more lag only if you’re using a pro controller via USB. The GC adapter with wired GC controller had the least lag of any of the official equipment, if I recall correctly

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I'm speaking for wired controllers and not wireless controllers that can also plug into wired. Either way an official GameCube controller still has less lag than wireless controllers.

Top Bottom