• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I want help assessing how close I am to tournament-ready, and how to get the rest of the way there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
Lately I feel like I've beaten for-glory-1-on-1. I normally thrived on combing the matchmaking for the occasional precious person who was better than me and fighting them over and over, as long as they were willing, until I could learn to beat them. Recently the flow of people who are better than me has stopped. I haven't been able to find anyone who can really dominate me in a lag-free game in about a week. I still recognize players who are good by my standards, but instead of me learning from them dominating, now they're learning from me dominating.

But I can't be the best yet, right? I'm only barely nailing down my needle reverse slide cancel for dependable in-combat use. Pros are supposed to be able to fire off a jillion hyper-advanced techniques a minute. So where -am- I on the skill ladder? I have no idea. I'm guessing it's normal for tournament-ready players to be "better than everyone", generally, who can be found by random matchmaking in fg1o1. But I don't know how -much- better, and how close I am to being tournament ready, and what the next steps to take are.

My guess is that the most obvious way to do this would be for someone who -knows- they're tournament ready to try some games with me, see if the connection is good, slap me around a few times, and tell me how I do. Would anyone like to be my champion? My availability for games will be somewhat limited by when I have useful wifi (my campus wifi can make it hard to connect with specific friends even though I can get random 1o1 games), but I've got breaks coming up where I'll be on my dependable home wifi.

Tl;dr looking for a pro to come kick my ass and help me figure out how to get on your level! Thank you very much!

-Oath

Edited: Clarity

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
The best way to be tournament-ready is to attend a tournament.

No, I'm serious, attending a tournament usually boosts your skill by a noticeable amount, just because of the amount of tournament-level play you will watch and face (in matches or in friendlies).

Other than that, why don't you post a video? That's probably the best way for people to help you.

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
Great idea! Why didn't I think of that? As a question of forum etiquette (sorry, lack of forum experience), once I have the video uploaded should I post it in this thread or start a new thread?

NairWizard

Somewhere
Just post it here, imo. No need to make a new thread.
edit: though I'm not sure if "rate my videos" threads belong in this particular forum, might be better off in your character-specific forum. But I think it's fine if you're looking for general advice

Last edited:

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
There is a video forum.

Play against people on smashladder.com or nintendojo.com. Or, as already mentioned, go to a tournament yourself. There is no substitute or better way to get good at competitive Smash than to go to a tournament. You'll discover there is a LOT more to the competitive scene than just being good at the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom