• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I want a new way to transform between characters

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sorry if I made the title seem to whiny, I didn't know how to phrase it without making it sound misleading. (Such as New way for characters to transform... etc)

Anyway.. I was thinking that we need a new way for transforming characters to work in SSB.
I know it's not us who decide this... but doesn't hurt to bring this up.

My idea for how characters should transform this time is to map this command to a TAUNT button.

Wait... Hear me out.

I know people have issues with the taunt button for some reason but... It's still there. No matter what control style you use, you'll always be able to choose between 3 different Taunt commands. I for once don't see why we need so many... but they're cool to have either way.
ANYWAY, there's one taunt button that repeats itself. THIS is where the TRANSFORM function should be ported.

Let me make myself clearer:

Dpad UP: Taunt 1
Dpad LEFT: Taunt 2
Dpad RIGHT: Taunt 3
Dpad DOWN: TRANSFORM (for transforming characters) / Repeat Taunt 1, or Taunt 4.

The point of this is so that some characters would gain a DOWN+B move. And others would have an easier time switching between versions.
Taunt buttons have had more uses than simple taunts since SSB64 (Kirby dropping his copied ability).

With this said, these are the characters who, so far, could benefit from this change:

-Zelda/Sheik + Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard: Will gain a Down+B move.
-Samus/ZSS: Will get an easier way to transform from one version to the other (She did this easily in cutscenes of Other M, since they're using an Other M model, it makes sense to have this

Other possible benefits:
-Mario/Dr.Mario

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Already said in my other post on that other thread that Sakurai doesn't really seem to care about how easy Samus can change suits in game (she's been able to do this long before Other M), and he just does it the way it is now to make the transformation "gimmicks" seem more unique.

Nonetheless, I think this is actually a cool idea. Or at least make it like Taunt Transforming from Samus to ZSS, but without the lag.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Already said in my other post on that other thread that Sakurai doesn't really seem to care about how easy Samus can change suits in game (she's been able to do this long before Other M), and he just does it the way it is now to make the transformation "gimmicks" seem more unique.

Nonetheless, I think this is actually a cool idea. Or at least make it like Taunt Transforming from Samus to ZSS, but without the lag.

Hopefully this time he has payed a little more attention (past Metroid games were handhelds, unless you count Prime which Japan apparently doesn't so much).
I had forgotten 2D games also represented this in a way. But in Other M it's done so casually and in a lot of cutscenes, it's impossible to miss!

Luigi player

Smash Master
Wouldn't it be kinda unfair for other characters if there's almost no downside to switching between forms?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Wouldn't it be kinda unfair for other characters if there's almost no downside to switching between forms?

I thought about this at first... but seeing how, for example, Zelda/Sheik are so low on the tier list in Brawl (and Sheik is so high in Melee while Zelda is low) I figured in the end, it won't change much other than give them an additional option.

And I also think transforming already has a drawback. When it takes a while to load the alternate character, your opponents are most likely already in your face. Especially Pokemon Trainer who can only switch in the ground. (If this is done through a taunt button, this action will be ground-bound I bet).

DefenseTech

Smash Apprentice
One taunt will suffice in my opinion, not sure on the transform idea (unfair to characters who dont transform)

I do think the d-pad should assume a more functional role...but what?

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I think both triggers at the same time would be nice for things like Final Smash or Transforming, doesn't remove any utilities, exists as a universal combination for other things (potentially new moves even), very hard to do on accident/easy to do on purpose etc etc

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
So long as they fix the transformation lag that was in Brawl, if it's possible to preload zelda and sheik like they did in Melee.
Is there anyone here who could explain how that worked? I know that the transformation times in Brawl were never constant because every time you transformed it would have to load the character in, but by some form of programming wizardry or such, they preloaded zelda and sheik at the same time before a match so they could swap out instantly. Did they have to preload these characters before every match, or just for matches where zelda and sheik were selected?

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I actually like it, adding a B-Down move to those characters would make the game a little more refreshing and there's basically no downside to it. But of course, this is Nintendo we are talking about, B-Down will be used for transformation for the next 20 years until a new dev will have the revolutionary idea of giving these characters a B-Down. :/

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
So long as they fix the transformation lag that was in Brawl, if it's possible to preload zelda and sheik like they did in Melee.
Is there anyone here who could explain how that worked? I know that the transformation times in Brawl were never constant because every time you transformed it would have to load the character in, but by some form of programming wizardry or such, they preloaded zelda and sheik at the same time before a match so they could swap out instantly. Did they have to preload these characters before every match, or just for matches where zelda and sheik were selected?

If you're referring to the Team method, you could pre-load transforming characters in doubles which resulted in transforming much faster than usual.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Losing a move is part of the balancing act for having two full movesets at your disposal. I'm not sure that taking away that penalty is a good idea. ZSS and Samus are a bit of a unique case in that you can only make the transformation one way without using Final Smashes, and even then it can be difficult to execute without being interrupted.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
You could have a tag-out button for all characters. That way you can pick a character for each stock during a stock match and cycle through fighters.

Top Bottom