• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I strongly encourage you to play Mii Brawler after EVO. (And my thoughts)

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
Orginally posted on reddit
(https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...ongly_encourage_you_to_still_play_miis_after/)

As you might have known from the title, miis are seemly on the verge of a very short run in SSB4. Nobody is quite as active as they were on this forum, miis aren't being played as frequently as they should (both customs and non-custom tournaments), and Dapuffster is going to retire regardless if he wins EVO or not.
If you guys don't believe here's the source:
http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums...8-9145-4F76-90FC-E4A98AA82D9E_zps4g7lcwpq.jpg
However, mii's aren't dead yet.
Not even by the soles of their shoes or the gloves that they wear.
Here's a couple of reasons why:
Mii's have many more MU's to cover
Mii Brawler frame data was just measured recently
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...wju2Vq5a4irDPLvwfxuOKVGxk/edit#gid=1074262911
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Owju2Vq5a4irDPLvwfxuOKVGxk/edit#gid=403730752
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Owju2Vq5a4irDPLvwfxuOKVGxk/edit#gid=719457467
Mii has not been experimented further as he should be.
Would abandoning an entire character that hasn't been even touched a good idea?
Not at all.
This even isn't on the levels of characters that have been banned in other fighting games for obvious reasons.
(Infinities, Unfair Frame Advantages, Powerful Moveset, etc...)
Although one may argue size is the factor keeping Miis from being playable, sizes are really easy to get a hold of once you know what they can do with certain attacks such as an UpB. As an example a default sized mii isn't able to connect a Uair to a Helicopter Kick, but a tiny sized mii brawler can easily connect the two together.
Besides size, there is so much more that needs to be found and simplified for proper education of the mii MU. I can not stress that enough.
(Personal thoughts)
I for one, am not giving up this character solely because of what anyone says to me. I enjoy this character and would gladly make the switch to having 1111 default any day of the week. Giving up what I find the most enjoyable in this game would be asking me to pull my hair individually out from my head, each one stress filled and painful as I go bald.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I was going to stop playing Mii after EVO because I figured the Custom zealots would keep up their attack on Mii trying to take down the character with them. I refuse to play a 1-1-1-1 Mii Brawler, it's not the character I started with and not the character I play. I'd sooner just have all Mii fighters banned instead of try to limit the character.
So consider me, a day 1 Mii Brawler main pro-ban rather than pro-limit.

It's all or nothing, I'll be perfectly happy picking up a top tier and ruining the game experience for the scrubs who ruined the game for mii.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I actually came to this board looking for default 1111 metagame discussion. I play Mii Brawler and I'd definitely like to see more of him in default.

I think alot of characters are underestimated in default. People said swordfighter was the worst character in the game until Trela showed he could take out top players with top tier characters.

Brawler is a combo machine and you just have to work around his low range and poor recovery. But I see Little Mac's doing fine with dedication.

I definitely see alot of people dropping him, but I definitely want to learn from other Brawler players.

Edit:I admit its gotta be a hard pill to swallow for Brawlers. Swordfighter has 3 amazing specials for default and Mii Gunner has a bad recovery no matter what specials you pick. Meanwhile Brawler has powerful killers and recovery customs.

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I was going to stop playing Mii after EVO because I figured the Custom zealots would keep up their attack on Mii trying to take down the character with them. I refuse to play a 1-1-1-1 Mii Brawler, it's not the character I started with and not the character I play. I'd sooner just have all Mii fighters banned instead of try to limit the character.

It's all or nothing, I'll be perfectly happy picking up a top tier and ruining the game experience for the scrubs who ruined the game for mii.
as a custom ganon main and a fan of waching and playing against custom mii brawlers i empathize etirely with you here. Freaking custom zealots are going to ruin this game, i swear. wtf is thheir deal? i have not seen a single sane argument against customs that wasn't salt for losing to something they didn't take the time to adapt to.

Sir_Africa

Smash Cadet
Quick question. What is 1111? Or the numbers for the Mii fighters for that matter? I have no idea what those do or how they affect the mii fighter. (Coming from a guy who doesn't play at his local tournaments)

MoSBanapple

Smash Rookie
Quick question. What is 1111? Or the numbers for the Mii fighters for that matter? I have no idea what those do or how they affect the mii fighter. (Coming from a guy who doesn't play at his local tournaments)
While Miis don't have a non-custom moveset, they do have numbered specials (for example, Brawler's 1111 set is shotput, onslaught, ax kick, and head-on assault). Some/most tournaments have relegated miis to 1111 movesets, which kinda sucks, since 1111 usually isn't an optimal moveset.

Doruge

Smash Journeyman

Maybe instead of giving up or trying to blame the "custom zealots" you could campaign for allowing Miis to use their full moveset like they are supposed to. If all the Mii mains just give up then nothing will change and Miis will just get shafted forever.

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
Maybe instead of giving up or trying to blame the "custom zealots" you could campaign for allowing Miis to use their full moveset like they are supposed to. If all the Mii mains just give up then nothing will change and Miis will just get shafted forever.
I'm on it. I'm going to start a topic in the competive discussion.

T0MMY

Smash Master
This is what I have been doing.
What happens? Inevitable, some custom freak comes in and says "not fair!" and says if Customs aren't allowed to be used then they will make sure Mii's cannot either, so join their cult or die.
I say I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.
I dare everyone to ban my character - because then you've just created a top-tier ***** instead of someone having fun with an unorthodox moveset of an underused character.

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, it's not the pro-custom people that are restricting miis. It's the TO's that just copy-paste the ruleset of whatever the last big customs-off tournament was, and it's the people who want to ban everything that they consider "custom". Those are the people who are causing Miis to be unfairly restricted. As a "custom freak" I can tell you that we are the ones who WANT miis to be fully useable.

Either way, the arguments against miis are typically extremely weak and easily disproven. But if nobody fights against those arguments then TO's will listen to them.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
^the arguments may be weak but the people who hold those views unfortunately are often both stubborn and hold a large amount of influence in the community making it tough to fight in the first place. heck, in my area pro custom people are being shunned and mocked as "scrubs" regularly for going against said sheep mentality.

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
^the arguments may be weak but the people who hold those views unfortunately are often both stubborn and hold a large amount of influence in the community making it tough to fight in the first place. heck, in my area pro custom people are being shunned and mocked as "scrubs" regularly for going against said sheep mentality.
We aren't scrubs for choosing customs in my perspective, we are going beyond anyone else.
Also in my opinion, they might not know what to think to deal with them. Maybe even jumping to conclusions reaching unthoughtful thinking.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
'Why not do something about it'? A good idea.

Actually, I've given up on arguing with the players.

I've written this, to target the source. The people who make the rules. Consider it an open letter you can share with your TO in the hopes of convincing them to ease up Mii restrictions.

http://smashboards.com/threads/mii-...in-the-afterlife.401541/page-18#post-19645879

I'll also be dropping this off in Gunner discussion. You are welcome to share it whenever and wherever you think it would be useful. The Swordfighter boards rather liked it, so hopefully it will be a good resource for Brawler and Gunner players too!

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
I took up the Mii Brawler as a main for the simple fact that it was a cool looking character, and they actually made a custom character that didn't simply have a silly gimmick. When suggestions were made for the Mii, I was fully expecting a character that uses various references to Nintendo and the Mii Verse and it would, in the end, look kinda ridiculous, but the way the Miis were implemented shows a well thought-out, entertaining character with a seriously cool design.

I don't take the majority of arguments against Miis and customs seriously because people were crying over them when it was first announced. I can understand the problem with equipment, that is definitely a mechanic that can screw with tournaments, but I feel that customs can, and will, add some fresh and needed change into a metagame, making character strategies truly your own. Like I said in another thread, the game is still far too young to outright give up on customs.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Personally I lean more so towards the site of not banning Mii's outright just because they have customization that game allows whether or not you are have the option set to custom or not. I think its a little unfair to do so, especially since as many people have pointed out the Mii's aren't really broken in anyway, and top tiers are far as competitive play is concerned still pretty much dominates everything. I may have have missed it, but I don't think I have seen anything about customs let alone Mii fighters post EVO, and I assume its because of the fact that everyone pretty much thinks customs are dead now, and are going to be banned now that EVO is over with. In relation to Mii's while I don't think its fair to limit them either, I think if I had to pick having them with default moves or not having them at all, I think I would rather than be forced into their default moves, even if obviously they are are significantly neutered that way.

Another thing I think should be put into consideration is that the whole size bit should stay the way EVO sets at it, let those be the standard sizes rather than restricting them to their default size (via mii maker), considering that default size while it does alter things, I don't think any of the Mii fighters except Brawler really can make much use out of their default size even if they are playing with their default movesets. That's kind of my view on it.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
I can understand the problem with equipment, that is definitely a mechanic that can screw with tournaments,
A true statement on its own, but Irrelevant for Miis.

Miis retain their full move list (instead of swapping to 1111) in Customs Off settings, but any Equipment they had is disabled. The select screen will imply their stats are still modified, but it's actually not true; they revert to normal stats for their size/weight, and any special benefits such as Quick Lander or starting with an item no longer function.

That is to say, Mii players cannot sneak equipment in to Customs Off tournaments. It LOOKS like they can, but the game actually does just turn their equipment off before the match starts.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
I totally agree with the opinion that Miis don't have true "customs", but I also think that everything would be alright if we were at least allowed to run a 2122 or 2222 set (I personally don't see the use of Onslaught) with a tiny Mii. Restricting any further is like not allowing Luigi his down throw or ZSS her Boost Kick.

Callinater

Smash Rookie
I totally agree with the opinion that Miis don't have true "customs", but I also think that everything would be alright if we were at least allowed to run a 2122 or 2222 set (I personally don't see the use of Onslaught) with a tiny Mii. Restricting any further is like not allowing Luigi his down throw or ZSS her Boost Kick.
Yeah, people act like tiny mii brawler is the new Meta Knight. But the question is, if the tiny brawler isn't as good as Sheik then why is Sheik legal? I guess people are salty about players using the best possible combination for custom fighters. But again, if the Tiny Mii isn't as good as Sheik, then why bother? Sure he's predictable, and will probably go for the same combo, but that makes him more easy to exploit. I can't see why people think Tiny Brawler is op. Even ol' Puffie, the legendary Brawler main, is shy to try out the tiny variant, because it's "too powerful."

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
Puffster doesn't play tiny because of recent Mii rulings and his comfort with the 50/50 size. He also thinks it's unlikely someone would be able to take advantage of the benefits of the tiny Mii. Psst, wanna know tiny 2122 Mii Brawler's true hard counter? DI in!

Callinater

Smash Rookie
Puffster doesn't play tiny because of recent Mii rulings and his comfort with the 50/50 size. He also thinks it's unlikely someone would be able to take advantage of the benefits of the tiny Mii. Psst, wanna know tiny 2122 Mii Brawler's true hard counter? DI in!
I guess you're right, but since people wouldn't know the matchup, it would be easier to adapt. And to try new characters, (or variants in this case) you have to ADAPT.

Considering Puffster keeps on saying that his character is "trash" and that he is C-Tier at best, you'd think he'd be considering to drop him. But he doesn't. He doesn't want to adapt to something else.

How did ZeRo adapt to Sheik after Diddy Dong got nerfed? Well...he adapted.
Unless Puffster secretly thinks he is SSS tier and doesn't want us to know...maybe that's why he still mains him. xD

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
Maybe it's because he... likes the character? Hm... no, no, that doesn't seem likely.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Not trying to come off as rude but if you're a dedicated Mii Fighter main you'll keep playing with him. I do understand that 1111 Brawler is big difference compared to using a custom Mii. I personally feel that changing weight/height shouldn't be allowed Im all for using their customs but even they aren't allowed I still play brawler in 1111. What makes it even tougher to develop Brawler's meta is the lack of discussion in this thread its mainly complaining about TOs rulesets. I would honestly say keep pushing to allow the fighters to use their customs but also to keep striving to push their meta wether its 1111 or not. As a person who started on the 3DS with Diddy Kong and had a interest in also picking up this newcomer wether it was 1111 or not coming to this thread makes it very underwhelming to develop Brawler as a tourney ready Secondary I do believe this character isn't bottom 10 or even low tier...

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
You know, just having one custom move would satisfy me. 1121 would be alright for me. The only problem that 1111 Brawler has is that he can't kill at all. The opponent gets pushed to high percentages and the combos stop. Since we don't have Feint Jump, we lose our mobility to deal with it. It's just not the same. We go from playing a fast, explosive character, to a mediocre low-percent comboer fishing for F smash reads. It's barely the same character.

Callinater

Smash Rookie
You know, just having one custom move would satisfy me. 1121 would be alright for me. The only problem that 1111 Brawler has is that he can't kill at all. The opponent gets pushed to high percentages and the combos stop. Since we don't have Feint Jump, we lose our mobility to deal with it. It's just not the same. We go from playing a fast, explosive character, to a mediocre low-percent comboer fishing for F smash reads. It's barely the same character.
I do not believe there is a "default" Mii set up at all. (1111). They are Miis. They all just so happen to have their moves jumbled up when they are made. They are Miis for a reason. The default setup is the setup that you feel is right. When you take away their other moves and call it the "default" setup, they are no longer Miis. They're just Yuus. Miis are all about customisation, so you have to choose how you want your Mii to play.

Top Bottom