• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I really dislike Little Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

FajitaEata

Smash Rookie
This is probably the most frustrating character for me to deal with in 1v1 for glory. He is certainly beatable and has clearly defined strengths and weaknesses, but I can't help but feel that punishing his shortcomings takes more work than abusing his strengths. No other character forces you to alter your play so drastically than Mac in my opinion which wouldn't be bad if if the play style you are forced into wasn't so boring. Maybe I am just annoyed that I see him every other game, but I am interested in what you guys think of the character.

Vade

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vade
3DS FC
4296-3320-8652
I'm okay with Mac right now, I love playing him, and even for me fighting a good mac is fun. The thing is I've been playing Peach like crazy lately so I don't really have to alter my play to deal with him so I don't think it's boring. Plus nothing is better for me than deny'ing a mac recovery with a turnip.

DDDchu

Smash Cadet
NNID
DDDchu96
3DS FC
4098-2457-6801
I hate going against his metal or giant variations in Classic Mode because of how strong he is. Playing as him is pretty fun, but personally I prefer the air. *slaps self for pun*

Jinx129

Smash Ace
NNID
Jinx129
3DS FC
3368-3418-9942
I hate Little Mac and...and yeah. I just hate him.

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
As soon as I saw Little Mac as part of the current conquest I just threw up my hands and said

"Guess I know which team is gonna win"

I think he's supposed to be the character anyone can play.

Simple to use hard to beat.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
This is probably the most frustrating character for me to deal with in 1v1 for glory. He is certainly beatable and has clearly defined strengths and weaknesses, but I can't help but feel that punishing his shortcomings takes more work than abusing his strengths. No other character forces you to alter your play so drastically than Mac in my opinion which wouldn't be bad if if the play style you are forced into wasn't so boring. Maybe I am just annoyed that I see him every other game, but I am interested in what you guys think of the character.
Little Mac really isn't that hard to deal with, you just don't go hand to hand in front of him. Grabs are quite strong in this game, and if you can get him off the edge the deed is done.

Rosalina on the other hand, if done correctly, can be devastating.

Ultimately though you should be adjusting your play to each opponent to some extent. If you don't need to they probably aren't that good. The best battles are the ones that force you to adapt.

ArcDawn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1993-8333-6433
The way to beat Mac is to use Mac :O
lol enough half kidding aside, Little Mac is a very easily gimpable character. As long as you play it safe, you should easily win. it seems unintuitive, but force Mac to approach you instead of the other way around.

I like the character, but I'm perplexed at his ill-proportionately high occurrence rate online.

What makes players - especially new ones - gravitate to him? There are forty-eight characters to pick, and there are a lot of them that are fast, or hard-hitting, or just cool. This reminds me of how many Ikes I had to fight in Brawl's online.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I like the character, but I'm perplexed at his ill-proportionately high occurrence rate online.

What makes players - especially new ones - gravitate to him? There are forty-eight characters to pick, and there are a lot of them that are fast, or hard-hitting, or just cool. This reminds me of how many Ikes I had to fight in Brawl's online.
Between two inexperienced players, Little Mac is tempting (like how many found Ike tempting in Brawl), as head on he'll win an encounter, and can kill at low percentages. When players can struggle to get back in the best of circumstances, that is, they are very new to the game, they may think he's "Super OP". What he's weak to is more advanced play (that is, when you actually know how to play).

It's also well worth noting that Final Destination is the strongest level from Little Mac (from what I can tell at least), and as such new players trying "Omega" stages will just start to gravitate to him.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
He's frustrating when used cheaply, and him along with Mega Man, are two characters that most people online use that way. Honestly facing a bad Little Mac is more annoying than facing a good one. I might lose to the latter more often but at least it's fun compared to some spammy nonsense match.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman

One, he is a character available right away without having to unlock. Two, it's easy to forget he was a top requested newcomer, but he was. Three, he is one of the simplest characters to play - just punch. You don't have to worry about aerials and recovery too much since those are terrible even if you try to develop them. All you have to do is develop ground game. That is alluring to those just starting out.

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer

My little brother got Smash Bros. Well, he's 14, but still.

He started with Villager because Villager is ****ing awesome and from Animal Crossing.
Two days later he comes up to me excitedly and says I THINK I FOUND MY NEW CHARACTER and shows me the victory screen with Little Mac.

Trust me it's not hard to find the hardest hitting and most satisfying character to play.

also I dislike playing against him too but oh well.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
I've found that the Dorf punishes the run-of-the-mill Macs pretty decently. So does spot dodging and rolling around the edge, though. The problem basically takes care of itself.

FozzyPickles

Smash Rookie
He is my biggest annoyance in this game.
For the little amount of 1v1 I've played he's just annoyed the crap outta me. He's just so odd to play against.

I don't even think he's that great of a character.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I think Rosalina is a far more annoying character to play online. Easily the most frustrating. I'd rather fight one hundred Macs than one Rosie player. As good as FD is for Mac it is even better for space Peach. She is the Olimar of this game.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I think Rosalina is a far more annoying character to play online. Easily the most frustrating. I'd rather fight one hundred Macs than one Rosie player. As good as FD is for Mac it is even better for space Peach. She is the Olimar of this game.
This. Luma is as annoying as a cockroach stuck in my eyeball. Mac was annoying the first few days. Now, not really. I do have to alter my playstyle a little, but I personally don't dislike him at all.

I don't mind playing against him, but playing as him... I suck with him. lol

Lichi

This is my war snarl
What I hate about playing LM is not only that I have to play differently, but in a way that bores me to death. I'm not a huge fan of endless long range harassing, projectile spamming and waiting for cheap gimps. I want to punch people in the face. :3
Luckily, I do not encounter a huge amount of Macs in FG. There is no character at all that I encounter very frequently, only some that I see very rarely.

AlexAnthonyD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anthony
3DS FC
1521-5082-7099
Can confirm Rosaluma is infinitely more annoying than mac. I have only faced one mac who was I just couldn't beat. I'm not sure if I wasn't playing well at the time or what but I have yet to come across another mac who was anywhere near as good. I also suck as him pretty hard, anyone with no recovery in this game of absolutely insane recoveries is going to be on the bottom of my usability list. My personal strategy involves hitting and getting hit off the stage, throwing my opponent off on my return and following up with fast paced smart decisions. The second mac is hit off the stage it is game over 90% of the time.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Little mac would have been balance if Sakurai didn't give him a damn counter! I mean you want me to bring my arial game but you give him a move that makes him A-OK until he hits the ground!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Since I'm a Rosalina main and I'm suddenly seeing her get a lot of heat both here and on Tumblr for being the OP For Glory character or something, I suppose I'll give some advise.

If you really want to have an edge on her, get good with :4zss:. The match up is at least even, if not in ZSS's favour right now, IMO. She has all of the right tools to counter anything Rosalina throws at her. Truly is the battle of the space waifus.

:4lucario: is pretty good against her too.

DON'T play as projectile/zoning focused characters, like Mega Man and to a smaller extent, Link. Same applies to any characters that focus on

Also, don't focus too much on either Rosalina or Luma, try to figure out the smartest options. Even if Rosalina is closer to you, it's sometimes smarter to aim for Luma, since Rosalina is good at defending herself with her aerials and such.

Also, Luma has an infinite, which can pile on a ton of damage, and even carry certain characters all the way to the side blast zones. Be wary of that when near him, and watch out for any setups Rosalina tries for this.

Shin Bowser Meow

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinBowserMeow
3DS FC
4184-3865-2383
I actually like fighting Little Macs. Even the bad ones. Makes me value the ground game alot more and he punishes hard if I slip up.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I actually think it's kinda fun playing him. All you have to do is get him off stage.
Since I'm a Rosalina main and I'm suddenly seeing her get a lot of heat both here and on Tumblr for being the OP For Glory character or something, I suppose I'll give some advise.

If you really want to have an edge on her, get good with :4zss:. The match up is at least even, if not in ZSS's favour right now, IMO. She has all of the right tools to counter anything Rosalina throws at her. Truly is the battle of the space waifus.

DON'T play as projectile/zoning focused characters, like Mega Man and to a smaller extent, Link. Same applies to any characters that focus on

Also, don't focus too much on either Rosalina or Luma, try to figure out the smartest options. Even if Rosalina is closer to you, it's sometimes smarter to aim for Luma, since Rosalina is good at defending herself with her aerials and such.

Also, Luma has an infinite, which can pile on a ton of damage, and even carry certain characters all the way to the side blast zones. Be wary of that when near him, and watch out for any setups Rosalina tries for this.
Good advice.

I have yet to encounter the infinite and I was told that it only works for certain characters. My main gripe is not defeating her but just how frustrating the match is, even if you win. At least with the Ice Climbers (not the same thing but kinda the same in that they have unique mechanics that can be abused) is at least when you kill the buddy, it is satisfying in that you reduce its power tremendously. When you kill Luma, you still have Rosie and her ridic aerial moves. And then in no time Luma is back and you start all over.

I play as BJ and he is not the greatest character already but the match against Rosie is completely one sided unless you are super cautious.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
As a Smash newbie (skillwise, i played mostly SSB64 and some melee ), playing against Little Mac is very frustrating.

Even when faced against another newbie who is barely managing to connect anything, a single mistake can cost you a stock against this character and give the win to the Little Mac player even when he´s barely touched you.

Earlier i was playing vs one of those super agressive Little Macs and he was missing me all the time and just managed to do like 30% of my hp while he was at something like 167%, then i mistimed a Falcon Kick and boom, out of the stage with me.

Seriously?

Now, i understand i have a lot to learn but this kind of stuff is just frustrating.

Last edited:

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
As a Smash newbie (skillwise, i played mostly SSB64 and some melee ), playing against Little Mac is very frustrating.

Even when faced against another newbie who is barely managing to connect anything, a single mistake can cost you a stock against this character and give the win to the Little Mac player even when he´s barely touched you.

Earlier i was playing vs one of those super agressive Little Macs and he was missing me all the time and just managed to do like 30% of my hp while he was at something like 167%, then i mistimed a Falcon Kick and boom, out of the stage with me.

Seriously?

Now, i understand i have a lot to learn but this kind of stuff is just frustrating.
To be fair though Mac has the same or greater risk. It is very easy to SD as Mac. Like if he goes off stage accidentally and you pursue and hit with that knee... it's bedtime.

I am not the best player either but most of the time I grab spam him. That is an effective way to deal with most Macs without much skill.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace

Utterly amazing advice. Normally I'm not this sarcastic but this just feels like it's not a real answer.

1. "Give up on your main, play as a character with the matchup advantage" isn't helpful both in the sense that it doesn't let a person grow with the character of their choice and to make matters worse we're specifically talking about For Glory here, a mode where you don't even know what character your opponent will use until the fight starts. So me picking a different character to tackle Rosalina when I may not be fighting Rosalina in the first place is silly.

2. This is more of an opinion thing than me finding actual flaws in your advice but I swear close-combat characters are the worst against her, especially on For Glory. Approaching her is extremely difficult and it's not like she's actually immune to projectiles. She just has that down special, which again, can be dealt with.

3. Unless we're talking about the infinite that only works on Sheik and Captain Falcon, this is not reassuring to anyone and only reinforces these outcries you've supposedly been hearing that Rosalina is overpowered. Also saying to watch out for the setups without explaining what the setups are is worthless advice. People who do not play as or against Rosalina a lot likely do not know how these infinites are performed.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I actually think it's kinda fun playing him. All you have to do is get him off stage.

Good advice.

I have yet to encounter the infinite and I was told that it only works for certain characters. My main gripe is not defeating her but just how frustrating the match is, even if you win. At least with the Ice Climbers (not the same thing but kinda the same in that they have unique mechanics that can be abused) is at least when you kill the buddy, it is satisfying in that you reduce its power tremendously. When you kill Luma, you still have Rosie and her ridic aerial moves. And then in no time Luma is back and you start all over.

I play as BJ and he is not the greatest character already but the match against Rosie is completely one sided unless you are super cautious.
The infinite technically "works" an almost any character, but in terms of carrying you off to the side, it's limited. It's still a great damage builder on pretty much anyone though. I believe Greninja might be immune to it though, from my testing, and characters like Bowser need to have a bit of damage on them already for it to work.

It's also great against Falco. Yesterday, I KO'd the same Falco twice because I carried him fairly far off stage with the infinite and then he dropped out of it, but because he was likely mashing buttons to get out of it (trying to attack Luma), he was committed to falling attack animations and fell too low to recover from them.

And yeah, BJ is one of Rosalina's extremely favourable match ups. She can use her Down B to negate his slow and predicable Neutral B (probably works on Up B too but I haven't tried), she can also use it to take control of his Mechakoopas and fling them back at him, Luma Shot goes right through BJ's Side B...

Utterly amazing advice. Normally I'm not this sarcastic but this just feels like it's not a real answer.

1. "Give up on your main, play as a character with the matchup advantage" isn't helpful both in the sense that it doesn't let a person grow with the character of their choice and to make matters worse we're specifically talking about For Glory here, a mode where you don't even know what character your opponent will use until the fight starts. So me picking a different character to tackle Rosalina when I may not be fighting Rosalina in the first place is silly.

2. This is more of an opinion thing than me finding actual flaws in your advice but I swear close-combat characters are the worst against her, especially on For Glory. Approaching her is extremely difficult and it's not like she's actually immune to projectiles. She just has that down special, which again, can be dealt with.

3. Unless we're talking about the infinite that only works on Sheik and Captain Falcon, this is not reassuring to anyone and only reinforces these outcries you've supposedly been hearing that Rosalina is overpowered. Also saying to watch out for the setups without explaining what the setups are is worthless advice. People who do not play as or against Rosalina a lot likely do not know how these infinites are performed.
1) I didn't say "give up on your main", I just gave characters with particularly good counter abilities. It's more for people who use multiple characters, and happen to have ZSS and Lucario as one of them, so they can use the main of theirs with a favourable match up. It's always good to use a wide array of characters to cover all kinds of match-ups. It's better advice than say, telling a Bowser Jr main to just get better with Bowser Jr, since Bowser Jr is INHERENTLY terrible against Rosalina. I'm giving people an alternative character as an example. ZSS is just an easy one off the top of my head.

2) Luma can block projectiles too, so that's another reason why projectile users are terrible against her. She can use Luma as a meat shield, approach, and since she's far better at close range than the projectile characters, she has them right where she wants them.

Luma is great against short/mid-range projectiles, and Gravitational Pull is great against long range ones. A fully charged Luma Shot also has extreme priority, and will go right through pretty much any projectile (and in most cases, will negate it entirely too). GP at close range is also great against large projectiles, as it makes Rosalina their "owner" as they spin around her, and because the projectile is so big, it will usually hit the opponent.

3) I'm talking about the same infinite, but the person who claimed it only works on CF and Sheik was not being specific enough. The infinite works on almost anyone, but CF and Sheik are the only ones you can carry off the side blast zone with it (so far).

The obvious set up is the grab release one - she grabs you from the air, has Luma ready a little bit away from her, intentionally releases you, at which point your grab release animation carries you right in front of Luma.

She could also fire Luma through an oncoming projectile and punish the projectile user with the infinite. Outside of For Glory, the Luma Warp custom special is perfect for setting up stuff like the infinite too, since it has virtually no ending lag. Luma's jab also makes him inch forward, so she could just inch him forward a bit to start the infinite if someone just happens to be really close.

I was making that post casually during some idle time in college. So expecting a comprehensive Rosalina counter guide is silly, they were just quick hints, especially since this thread is not even exclusively about Rosalina. If you want more details on how to counter Rosalina, you don't have to be a sarcastic, condescending douche about it, that gets you nowhere and does nothing for nobody. And frankly, makes NOT telling you anything seem preferable, so if I coincidentally ran into you in For Glory one day, my Rosalina would hand it to you. Karma! :D

Instead, you could check the Rosalina boards for more in-depth discussion on her, you could wait for a Rosalina & Luma counter guide to show up in the new Guides section of the site, or you could have even just PM me if you have more in-depth questions about the character.

Last edited:

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
And yeah, BJ is one of Rosalina's extremely favourable match ups. She can use her Down B to negate his slow and predicable Neutral B (probably works on Up B too but I haven't tried), she can also use it to take control of his Mechakoopas and fling them back at him, Luma Shot goes right through BJ's Side B...
This is all true. My big thing is using the clown car ditch for combos. Rosalina ruins this completely. You can't get close enough on the ground to hit Rosie herself because of Luma, Luma is difficult to hit, and from the air, Rosie's smash attacks and aerials completely cancel it out and hit you. So you are stuck with your specials useless, most smash attacks too slow... it becomes a tedious match of rolls and tilt attacks.

mistermoo33

Smash Rookie
IMO he is frustrating to play against but no more frustrating than Toon Link, Duck Hunt, or Zero Suit Samus.

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
IMO he is frustrating to play against but no more frustrating than Toon Link, Duck Hunt, or Zero Suit Samus.
Man, a well piloted Duck Hunt Duo can be SO frustrating to get through to depending on what character you're packing. He can limit your approaching options pretty damn well.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Mac isn't nearly as annoying as Rosalumas and Bowsers too me. They buffed Bowser sooo much ;_;

JohnnyDelMidwest

Smash Apprentice
Ironically in the South (Clarksville, Arkansas)
My play style without Little Mac as an opponent- Go for the kill
My play style with Little Mac as an opponent- RUN AWAAAAAAAAAY

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
As a mostly Marth player in For Glory, he's actually pretty easy to deal with. Just get him off the stage and fair him away.

However, he is at his most annoying when you're in a laggy match. His moves don't really require too much timing to hit because of super armor and they tend to push him in the direction he's attacking so they don't even have to be that close to you when they start charging. Hell I swear some people with bad connections know he's easier to win with than others and thus pick him.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
We don't really need another rant thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom