• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS I need ways to train properly.

Nanatashi

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1521-6611-7113
Hello you cool peeps! I have been playing sm4sh recently and I have been training alot so I can enter tournaments eventually. I go against Lvl.5 or higher bots at one stock. Any suggestions? (Also, I did a match with Lvl. 5 cpu, 1 stock, and killed then in 12 seconds... does that mean my training is working?)

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Well it depends what exactly you're trying to train. Fundamentals, specific techs?

Nanatashi

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1521-6611-7113
Uh, I have no idea what a Fundamental is in smash or a tech... lol

EDIT: I know what fundamental means though...

Last edited:

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
I'd start with techniques you want to or like to use, then start researching combos, skills, etc. and practice them. Training mode and for glory will be your best friend.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Alright well then before you even develop a training routine, I would say it would benefit you to watch basics videos on the most common techs in Smash 4. Super Smash Academy on YouTube has some good ones.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Avoid double posting, please.
I think that, if you need to learn some basics of competitive Smash, you should start simple. What is a neutral game, what are the options for your character at neutral, what stages each character is better at (Mario: Battlefield, Pikachu: Lylat Cruise, for example), and generic techs, like Teching solid structures when you tumble in the air, proper applications of spotdodges and dodge rools, DI and Vectoring...

Nanatashi

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1521-6611-7113
I was just letting the two that were above that i made a bit of progress, thats all. Thanks for the video too...

EDIT: I am on 3ds btw

Last edited:

Jumpo

Smash Cadet
I can only train offline, I spend time in training mode learning new techniques and combos, then play a couple of matches against a lvl 7/8 cpu just until I can do the thing I was learning successfully on a moving/attacking target. Then just go back to training mode, fighting the cpu heaps will give you bad habits otherwise, and unless if you killed the cpu in 12 seconds with a true combo, basically no it doesn't mean anything because the cpu doesn't understand things like how to recover safely

Nanatashi

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1521-6611-7113
I can only train offline, I spend time in training mode learning new techniques and combos, then play a couple of matches against a lvl 7/8 cpu just until I can do the thing I was learning successfully on a moving/attacking target. Then just go back to training mode, fighting the cpu heaps will give you bad habits otherwise, and unless if you killed the cpu in 12 seconds with a true combo, basically no it doesn't mean anything because the cpu doesn't understand things like how to recover safely
you got a point I guess...

EDIT: Actually, Lvl. 9 Cpu's know some pretty interesting things, and I learned a bit of DI and tech or what ever people call this stuff.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I also noticed the CPUs almost never edgeguard. At all. Sometimes, if they're feeling clevery, they go for a Down Smash at the edge. If they're Marth/Lucina, they might go one step further and try a Down Tilt!
They never hit it, though.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
I also noticed the CPUs almost never edgeguard. At all. Sometimes, if they're feeling clevery, they go for a Down Smash at the edge. If they're Marth/Lucina, they might go one step further and try a Down Tilt!
They never hit it, though.
I got down-air'd by a level 8 ganondorf CPU offstage once (on the 3DS). He didn't go that far offstage, though.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
They may not do certain things that a real player does, but lvl9 CPU's are still plenty since they're frame perfect and in certain ways better than some FG players. A good balance of CPU's and FG I think would go a long way.

DentedDementia

Smash Rookie
Going to tournaments, even if you know you're going to lose, is always a good idea. Computers are good to a point, but you'll start to learn bad habits fighting them. Other players can point out what you should and shouldn't be doing. I also like to see how pros play my characters; you should never try to completely copy someone's style, but sometimes you'll see combos or uses for attacks that you might not have come up with on your own.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Going to tournaments, even if you know you're going to lose, is always a good idea. Computers are good to a point, but you'll start to learn bad habits fighting them. Other players can point out what you should and shouldn't be doing. I also like to see how pros play my characters; you should never try to completely copy someone's style, but sometimes you'll see combos or uses for attacks that you might not have come up with on your own.
Assuming that's an option of course. I know plenty places have limited scenes.

Nanatashi

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1521-6611-7113
I wouldnt be able to travel to tournaments, im only 14 and i dont have a job.

Top Bottom