• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need to become better. Critique my Game Plz?

IPlayMayLay

Smash Rookie
I have been playing Melee for like YEARs and I only get better when I play people that are better. I try to take the videos off of sites like these and try to get better but it doesnt really work that well.

Heres my game:

Basically I learned to play wrong it seems because.. I only use the Joystick to jump and I can't seem to integrate using the C-stick for smash attacks. I understand its quicker and all that but for some reason I just learned to play without the C-Stick.

So now I have developed some real bad habits. I recently played a friend who can do the short hops using the X or Y button and he totally dominated. I mean he only won by 1 each match but I felt limited in my approach cause of his short hops.. (PS he was using Falcon and the gun attack constantly) .

I tried to learn the wavedash to help improve some of my game but I seem to not be able to do it forward so much. I can do it backwords find for some weird reason. And is it me? Or is it easier to do with Samus?

But my main issue it seems it to do the FF. For some reason im not getting this ability AT ALL. I have one friend who just hacks away at me with Fox, he'll run up grab me toss me up and that kick fox has just knocks me off the board in seconds like. I dont know how to dodge that after being tossed.

Any tips to either learn these things better or tricks you guys used to overcome similar bad habits that I have practically grown ATTACHED to would help me out.

I really was all pysched and wanted to get Brawl but I dont want to get it if im not decent in the game geez. Im decent with everything else I can play the mind games, I can tech off the walls and what not, I even time the blocks to bounce things back during melees.

I just can't do the meat and potatoes moves that make you a decent player. My fav. character is Ganon (I play with him to have a good time cause hes cool lol).

I tried to learn how to play like the pros with him but .. as you know.. that darn short hop and back kick are like ESSENTIAL and im guessing because im using the joystick to jump its like ten times harder for me. Tipman makes it look SOOOOO easy its sad.

Help me plz plz plz. If all else fails give me ur hands!

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
-Practice using either Y or X to jump, it's the only way.
-C-Stick and A are same speed, you just need to find out which is easier for you.
-Wavedash isn't as important as Waveland with Ganon, but try to master both.
-Luigi and Marth are the best at wavedashing, I thinks.
-Once you learn how to use Y or X, at the peak of a jump, hold down and you will Fast Fall.
-If you get caught in Fox's up-air, DI down ASAP Might not always work, but you've got nothing to lose.
-Practice these like crazy and you'll get it. ;)

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Nothing wrong with using the stick to jump. I have a much easier time shorthopping with the stick than x or y myself, so I jump with the stick. However, you'd want to learn to use x or y if you're going to wavedash, or jump in midair for any reason. If you have a hard time doing something like a shffl u-air with the stick, c-stick the aerial (instead of pressing a) and it'd be easier.

Also, since you're playing Ganon, learn to L cancel. It's more important than shorthopping or wavedashing with him.

Myztek

Smash Ace
-Practice using either Y or X to jump, it's the only way.
-C-Stick and A are same speed, you just need to find out which is easier for you.
-Wavedash isn't as important as Waveland with Ganon, but try to master both.
-Luigi and Marth are the best at wavedashing, I thinks.
-Once you learn how to use Y or X, at the peak of a jump, hold down and you will Fast Fall.
-If you get caught in Fox's up-air, DI down ASAP Might not always work, but you've got nothing to lose.
-Practice these like crazy and you'll get it. ;)
Most of the info you provided is correct, but let me clarify a few things.

First of all, I used to only use the control stick for jumping and everything as well. The only way to change is to sit down and force yourself to use X or Y (I use Y, but whatever your preference is) until you get used to it. It won't take too terribly long to transition. Possibly two days at most for a full switch.

Luigi and Ice Climbers are the best wavedashers.

You don't have to hold down to fast fall, just tap it at the peak of your jump.

Do NOT DI down when Fox up airs you. DI left or right. Perpindicular DI is the most effective.

Practice practice practice. That's what it's gonna take. You can ask questions all day but until you sit down and actually apply the things and try them yourself, you won't learn anything.

Top Bottom