• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Need Some Help Here

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Alright, I've been playing PM for about a year now and I've always been adding custom content to keep things fresh and interesting for when others come over to play. Unfortunately, sometimes I can't just seem to get the common5 to agree with me.

I've been trying to change the stage select icon, preview, and switch images for Onett for the past couple days with absolutely no progress. The images are smaller than their counterparts and yet no matter what I do, the file size for the common5 continues to go up. Since I can only seem to upload one image at a time, here is the 160x160 preview image in case a visual could help solve the issue.

Tanetane Island (160 x 160).png

That image is only 17.3 kb. I've reduced it to a indexed image with only 200 colors I believe, and have done the same with the all the other images. Their current file sizes are:
3.4 kb (icon)
7.7 kb (stage switch)
17.3 kb (stage preview)
1.17 kb. (stage name)

Limiting the color usage has solved my file size issues in the past, but even bringing these images down to only 60 colors had absolutely no effect (and they looked like utter garbage at that). If anyone can help me out or already have working SSP for TaneTane Island it would be much appreciated.

By the way, I created the images by taking an in-game screenshot, used bin2jpg to convert them to a file format I could modify, indexed them to decrease the file size then saved in .png format.

Doq

Smash Lord
.png files are usually not indexed and Brawlbox expects .png files to not be indexed. Remove the indexing (won't affect number of colours) and then try again. Usually opening it in an image editor (GIMP works wonders for me) and doing this solves my problems. That or that specific image just won't work.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Why thank you. It's been a good couple months since I've added new stages and I completely forgot about having to revert the indexed images back to RGB.

I do all of my custom SSPs in GIMP, but I'm beginning to realize the image file size displayed under the properties when browsing your folders is completely unreliable. Images exported directly from the common5 have smaller file sizes, even when compared to the exact same image I put in. But if I open the file and re-save it GIMP it returns to it's larger file size, even though I haven't edited it at all. But if I check the data size in BrawlBox while replacing the images, it'll tell me those two files (which have different file sizes) use the same amount of data??? I hope I'm making sense here. I'm sure I'm not the only one going completely insane on occasion trying to edit the common5.

By the way, is there a rough estimate as to how large a preview image should be? I'm guessing it varies with the stage you're replacing, but I see them anywhere from 20-40 kb which I'm guessing is the safe zone. Is there a limit to how many stages you can change as well, that might become an issue as I'm starting to acquire a lot of custom stages and not to mention that PM already edits some of the files within the common5 as well.

Again, thanks for the help.

Top Bottom