• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need some help and advice regarding Doc

WhatIsPie?

Smash Apprentice
I started playing Doc a while ago. I thought I was pretty good until I came here and read some of the Doc guides. Anyway, I need help with the following things:

1. How do you waveland? Can someone give me specific instructions? The guide by Cyphus and video by Smashmac didn't help me out too much. Do you press R and the direction you want to go in just before you hit the ground? Or do you hold the direction you want to go in as you're approaching the ground and hit R just before you hit the ground? I also need specific instruction for platform wavedashing.

2. How do you shield wavedash? By this I mean wavedashing out of a shield not wavedashing while shielding. I'm guessing you use both the L and R buttons(one for shielding and one for wavedashing). Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Should I use the claw method of holding the cotroller? I find that my fingers are too slow to do certain things such as Double Pill Jump.

4. Why is it a bad habit to use the C-stick to smash?

5. Can you mash the control stick left and right with Doc to right himself in mid-air?

6. Any advice on Bairing a Marth user? He tends to use his counter to stop me.

hhliveson

Smash Cadet
1. hold down the direction and then press l or r to waveland. just remember that it has to be at a downward angle. platform dashing is wavelanding.

2. shield and then wavedash. your jump will cancel the shield.

3. that's a matter of comfort. just work on the form that feels best to you.

4. sometimes you may need to stall your attack. plus you may want to charge it once in awhile. but it isnt really a bad habit.

5. yes

6. look at cyphus's FAQ and watch some vids to get ideas.

WhatIsPie?

Smash Apprentice
1. hold down the direction and then press l or r to waveland. just remember that it has to be at a downward angle. platform dashing is wavelanding.I see. Everytime I do it, Doc does an air dodge. I'm guessing either my timing is off or i need a more downward angle. I'll work on that, thank you.

2. shield and then wavedash. your jump will cancel the shield.Yes, I already know that you can jump out of your shield to attack. I do it very often. Should I still be holding down the R button when I'm jumping?

3. that's a matter of comfort. just work on the form that feels best to you.

4. sometimes you may need to stall your attack. plus you may want to charge it once in awhile. but it isnt really a bad habit.

5. yes

6. look at cyphus's FAQ and watch some vids to get ideas.I've already done that. The problem is that the Marth I play against has seen me kill with the Bair numerous times and he knows it's coming. Is there any good mindgame to counter this?
My response is in red. If anyone else has anything to add, please do. I'd appreciate it.

Some other things:

When you dash and then rotate the control stick upwards and hit A, you do cancel your dash and do an UpSmash. Is that the same thing as a jc'd grab, except you're hitting Z and not A.

Can you Bair in the middle of a FJ stopping your vertical movement?

Why is a SH pill better than a FJ pill? Aren't you able to do more attacks from a FJ pill since you won't land with any lag?

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
in regards to marth...

im supposing he's countering ur edgeguard, so just jump out, wait for the counter, jump back and cape as he up+bs...

hhliveson

Smash Cadet
you don't need to hold r when doing the shield wavedash. if you press the x or y fast enough, it will cancel out the animation that usually follows a shield.

as far as marth, dash dancing can make him swing and miss, allowing you to possibly squeeze in a f-tilt. pills also help. you can also try dashing into a shield but that should be done rarely and only if they are a tipper abuser. the focus really is on drawing marth into you so you can counter.

jc grab: i use y and z at the same time. seems to be the easiest for me.

and to answer pills... look at the trajectories. sh pills tend to travel more horizontally.

WFL

Smash Journeyman
1. Can you Bair in the middle of a FJ stopping your vertical movement?

2. Why is a SH pill better than a FJ pill? Aren't you able to do more attacks from a FJ pill since you won't land with any lag?
1. When you bair in the middle of a full-jump it is just a rising bair just like if you do a rising pill, but try not to do a rising FJ'd bair when juggling because it won't work that well. Try doing a SHBAWD instead so you can move quicker to them in the air.

2. It really depends on the situation. I like to mix it up a lot. If I'm approaching a guy I'll most likely perform a SH pill. If I'm not as close to the opponent then I'll placebos and FJ pill with a foward waveland (forgot the nickname).

Top Bottom