• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need help against luigis dash and cyclone.

Ebbit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shipwreck
3DS FC
4313-1831-9997
Hello, I main multiple characters, including: Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Samus, And Bowser. I have issues with beating his dash and cyclone. Everytime I hit him into the air, he cyclones down, and everytime he dashes I get rekt. Any advice?

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Short hop up then fast fall and shield when he's in the air to bait out the cyclone. It has huge end lag so you can punish it very easily, especially with those strong characters you're using. I assume by dash you mean dash attack, which is beaten by just shielding and punishing. Both cyclone and dash attack have huge endlag, so as long as you aren't going YOLO HAM and rushing in without caution they should be easy to see coming and punish hard.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
^ Exactly. You need to shield them both since they both have a lot of ending lag that you can punish. Make sure to shield the entire move though, b/c i see a lot of players drop shield before the cyclone/dash attack finishes

louie g

Smash Journeyman
Yep, the cyclone can get punished hard, and it's honestly (from my experience anyway) the only true defense luigi's got when he's landing, you can easily turn this upside into a hard downside, since luigi doesn't seem to have great landing options,(again, from my experience) and is extremely floaty.

Be aware of mind games though, luigi can reverse B his cyclone, meaning that he can snap back from the opposite direction of where he's moving!

Last edited:

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
You won't see many Luigi do this (probably only like one or two really good ones) but sometimes when a Luigi is landing, they can use jumpless cyclone to hit you (or your shield) and go back up and away so that you won't punish them on time (if they do it right then some characters outright can't punish fast enough) and I don't think most moves OOS will work when they're hit unless they manage to PS it. Like I said before it would be very uncommon because most people don't know how to do a jumpless cyclone, and much less will be able to mash fast enough to get the full height needed to be out of range from the attack. But when you see someone who does try to do it you would be ready to avoid it (don't try to challenge it unless your aerial is fast enough).

Aside from using cyclone as a landing option you'll see a lot more proficient Luigis use B-reverse fireballs to ladder down the air and since they change momentum instantly it can throw you off. So watch out for people doing that, predict where he will be after the fireball and punish him for it (the fireball has quite a bit of lag, but small enough for them to be able to attack back/airdodge if you don't react fast enough).

TriTails

Smash Lord
Cyclone isn't the only option to land for Luigi. FF N-air works for a (un)pleasant surprise. Although it's beaten by shield, I have seen a lot of tourney Luigis use it, surprise the opponent below, and --wow-- a disadvantage turns to advantage in two seconds.

Top Bottom