• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need critique on my R.O.B.

AxelRob

Smash Rookie
I got demolished can I get some advice on how I can improve...?
watch?v=06nBKkbed4M&feature=youtu.be

pikmin.org

Smash Apprentice
I think one of the main issues is that you're being impulsive and willingly putting yourself at a lot of ranges that R.O.B isn't particularly good at fighting in, especially if he's dashing (so you can't utilise d-tilt for example). You want to be using more Short Hop Auto Cancel N-Air (a lot of your N-airs were a bit sloppy, resulting in lag as you hit the ground; trying practising auto-cancelling n-airs when you're falling down from high above the stage back into the ground also, that's where you missed some autocancels) and Short Hop F-airs to make your opponent respect your space and edge back (so you can gain some stage control) and just generally play more defensively, utilising lasers and gyros. Shulk has a lot of range which makes this a bit tough, but you can still zone him out to an extent, especially if your opponent is constantly afraid of projectiles. It feels like you're rushing in situations where you could sit back and make your opponent approach (Shulk has no projectiles of his own). E.g.

0:05 - you just dash towards Shulk. Out of a dash, the only somewhat threatening thing we have in that scenario is like, dash attack? Whatever you did got stuffed by a d-tilt; perhaps some opponents are more passive in this regard and would have gotten hit by what you were doing, I guess?

0:10 - Again, another dash grab. I know a grab is really rewarding for R.O.B (especially when the opp. is at low %), but you've got to ease off a bit and play the more defensive game; Shulk wasn't in range for a grab there even.You then follow up soon after with another hasty dash attack. I mean, again, the reward off of dash attack is pretty good (you could probably get u-tilt--> u-air if you'tre lucky), but your opponent snuffed it out.

You're also rolling a lot, which probably isn't optimal. Try to be a bit more stoic in the up-close game and utilise d-tilt, jab, down-smash, shield and spotdodge in conjunction with roll as up-close defensive options when you happen to get stuck there. In a similar vein, you were throwing out F-smashes in some situations where it didn't feel like you could reliably land them (some were utilised effectively though).

1:08 - I think you could have gotten D-throw --> up-air in that scenario. Perhaps it would have missed, but it's probably still worth doing a d-throw as the damage is essentially the same as f-throw, and if you recognise that it won't combo, you can try and catch an airdodge or still hit Shulk outright. Up-air should outrange the first hit of Shulk's down-air (I'm not an expert though haha).

1:36 - I really like this attempted set-up, with the F-throw into the gyro followed by the F-smash to punish the hitstun. It didn't happen to work out in this instance, but even attempting this stuff is really impressive.

1:39 - Again, a hasty option that moves you closer to an opponent that's hovering in the air and in the perfect position to punish. Just chill out a bit, haha.

2:10 - The side-b worked out, but I don't know why your opponent didn't just shield it. Was it an accidental button press? (I sometimes do side-b instead of neutral-b on occasion)

2:16: What's the idea side-b'ing with the opponent on the ledge? Is the idea to cover both them coming onto the stage (although it could just be ledge attacked - or do ledge attacks not have invincibility beyond 100%? idk) while retaining the ability to hit them if they drop down and grab the ledge a second time (where they gain no invincibility thanks to the new ledge mechanics)? Because Shulk dropped down and grabbed the ledge again, and the side-b missed him still, despite the fact that it was angled down. I'm open to trying this actually, in conjunction with SH AC N-airs (primarily) when the opponent is on the ledge, but I'm a little confused as to how it works out exactly.

2:24 - I like your mixing up of the up-b fuel usage whilst coming down - it's a great mixup that can make juggling difficult - too bad N-Air doesn't kill until silly percents (thanks Sakurai :p).

2:31 - If you manage to land a jab1 when you opponent is at that high a percent, don't jab2. Just do jab1 --> grab --> Up-throw for the KO (although in this instace, Shulk was in shield mode so it probably won't have killed anyway - but it's worth going for the grab anyway as it's more rewarding still than jab2 even if you just b-throw or w/e). You might also be able to get jab1--> U-smash which would have killed there almost certainly, although I haven't figured out if that's escapable yet.

2:56 - Was this an accidental button press? If you're not in a position to spit the gyro back onto the stage to pick up, just hold it to throw later, or threaten the ledge with it. Were you trying to snipe a jump with it maybe?

3:00 - When pressuring the ledge, make sure you're actually close enough to hit the opponent - you're n-airing from too far away.

3:14 - You've gotta full hop when doing d-throw --> up-air (in addition to drifting the required direction).

3:17 - If you land a n-air at this percent, try and follow up with a dash attack as opposed to just rolling into the opponent. This is a scenario whre you have a real advantage, so even if it's not a true combo (I suspect it may be in this instance) you're going to hit with it a lot more times than not, and of course dash attack is very rewarding at these percents.

3:52- Again, be a little more discerning with your gyro throws, because this wasn't ever going to hit Shulk, nor did it stay on the stage.

So yeah, overall, it just felt like you were rushing things. Slow it down, stay calm and be confident in your spacing and defensive game. Abuse R.O.B's strengths. You've definitely got some nice stuff though, so just tighten up some of those bad habits.

Last edited:

AxelRob

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I make a lot of mistakes with the new gamecube controller. I also did a lot of moves I didnt want to do....and I was shocked on how good he was, I probably wasent focusing. The advice you gave me is amazing, THANK YOU! I been applying it and been winning more. You should add me, my Wii U name is the same as my icon with out the youtube :)

pikmin.org

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to, but unfortunately I don't have a Wii U and am still playing smash 4 on the 3DS (except at tournaments). As soon as I get a Wii U, I'll add you. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom