• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need an opinion...

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
I love Link as well as Y. Link. I'm not asking for a serious critique here...I know what I need to work on and that these arn't my best matches (I need to figure out the best way of incorporating SHFFL)...now onto my question.

After watching the matches of my Link and my Y. Link, which one has better potential in your opinion. I know both will need work but I'm kinda loking for which should be my main. I also have picked up a little Sheik and considering her has a secondary or rather third, but I'm not going to bring her up here. I have two more matches of my Y. Link and will post them as soon as their uploaded...

Link matches (Some have already been posted):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWhCloimFyg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35ka_M2DaCE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UmTQXnYAt4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUo33tgOCoA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeSx9moJYhY

Y. Link Match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSwa4FCIPNI

Anything will help and this will be posted in the Link pages as well...

Switchblades

Smash Apprentice
Im only going to comment on the Y.Link video, as I know more about him.

Speed.

Go into training mode, practice your SHFFL's, until you can perform them near flawlessly at a high rate of speed. Even a decent Sheik will give you a good beating if you're not fast enough (bleh, bad personal experience, but is true in general).

Learn to wavedash, it's a handy tool, as you can do anything immediately out of it, whereas with shielding, there is some delay to doing anything after.

I noticed at the end that you were just waiting for the Sheik to come to you. Keep on top of Sheik, don't give her time to charge up needles, as they allow her to setup combos, which, with her, can be bad =/.

Play aggressive, but play smart.

Most importantly, work on that range accuracy, and keep those projectiles coming!

i_eat_fried_worms

Smash Cadet
exactly, always keep a sheik busy so that they can't do the needle hold trick. stay quick or you'll get your *** handed to you on a bloody platter. and don't roll so much, if you need to escape, use a wavedash and start l-canceling especially dairs.

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
I agree about why you should choose young link over link and thats because of speed and speed is essential for getting combos and you will notice the difference in speed if you play Link for a little while and then switch to young link the only real drawback that i think is range. But hey this is just me, whatever one you think is better is your choice and ony you cann decide that.

Kada

Smash Journeyman
Well, Link and Young Link are very different characters, it all really comes down to your personal preference on which one you want to main.

Link, on one hand, is a very powerful and well balanced character. He's slower and heavier than Young Link, but you can control that extra weight to your advantage. He also has greater range. You'll end up using lots of Boomerang and other projectiles to setup and lure your opponent where you want them to go, and then knock them off, and keep them off, with a couple well placed aerials. I find that Link has a much more defensive style than Young Link.

Young Link, on the other hand, is a much faster, lighter, and agressively played character. You can use his speed to your advantage to really chase your opponent down and knock them off. Young Link's style is less defensive than Link's, which makes sense, when you consider his speed. Also, Young Link actually has a useful wavedash, which can be really helpful. His range can be a problem sometimes, since you have to get so close to your opponent, if you ever end up facing someone with a longer range than you, you could be in for trouble.

It really all comes down what you want your style of play to be, a more patient master of manipulation, willing to wait for openings, or a more aggressive character, who tries to MAKE openings.

And then there's the taunt. Young Link might be worth playing just for that :lick:

(Please, someone correct me if I said something wrong :chuckle: I'm actually a Marth main, but my best friend plays Link and Young Link, so I pick up on the styles)

d2Law89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PolarUrs
3DS FC
1263-6319-5484
Yeah pretty much Kada's got it down. However, what I don't understand is why everyone says that speed is needed for combos. Yeah, you need speed when the opponent has low percentages, but the real deal comes into play when they have higher percentages--when you can actually K.O. them with ease.

Which brings me to why I choose Link over Y.Link--range. Range stuns, allows you to move in, plus Link has power over that too.

In the end, it's just the style you play, but don't count Link out just because he doesn't have enough "speed" to do "combos". Every character can do combos...even Bowser, so why not Link? :p

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
Well for one thing Link's nair isn't as powerful as y. links which is very useful. Link's Dtilt sends his opponents up and isn't a spike like y. links. Also the second part of Links Fsmash sends them up which doesn't kil like y. links. And plus since he's slower it can be harder to pull off better combos.

And great job Kada, for someone who mains Marth and got that from observing his friend.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
l33te, Links dtilt actually does spike, its just harder. because the spiking part of the dtilt hitbox is smaller or something. but it does spike.
and i didnt know Link's nair wasnt as strong as Ylink's i always thought they were the same O_O

anyway kratos i would say use ur Ylink. to me u seem to move more easily, like u have a better feel for Ylink. with Link u seemed like u were held back or something.
some advice, work on always L-Cancelling ur attacks. dont roll so much. shffl more. shield grab more often

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
It spikes? I never got a spike outta it but the reason for that could be is because I rarely use Link.

But yeah Kratos work on the stuff Giggi metioned, it may seem basic but basics can be very useful.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
yea i use link occasionally, theres actually a thread on Link's dtilt spike.

and once kratos gets the stuff i mentioned down pact. he should start figuring out ylink's physics and create combos on his own

hurray for ylink

d2Law89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PolarUrs
3DS FC
1263-6319-5484
I main both--I started with Y.Link, then I grew to like Link better. W/e they're different characters and yeah you do play more smoothly with Y.Link, but hey, a challenge is always fun. As for the down tilt, it spikes, but extremely rarely and is not even worth trying to pull off. Just use it to pop people up and set them of for a combo and it might spike them down if you're lucky.

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
How can you main both. Which ever one you use more is your main. And i'm gonna have to try and get the Dtilt spike for Link.

Top Bottom