• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need a R.O.B. critique

Vesoralla

Smash Rookie
NNID
nathaniel33333
3DS FC
2062-9467-1849
I'm brand new to the Smashboards. I'm not entirely new to forum stuff however, so I hope that can carry over to here. I am a R.O.B. main, and I would love to know how to fix my faults.
These matches happened before I found a video about DI-ing a couple of Bayonetta's combo starters.
Also, this isn't the most professional of recording matches.
Anyways, what do I need to do to not stink so bad?...except for the last match; but even then I stunk some.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
First of all, roll less. Personally I got rid of my rolling habit by going into the control settings and removing shield completely from my controller. After playing a few games, you'll be forced to make workarounds for rolling and shielding. Also note that you can jump while shielding, allowing you to Nair or laser/gyro.
Also, you might want to threaten the opponent with moves more. Dunno if it's actually good or if I'm just really good at spamming, but shorthop Nairing can really scare opponents because you're putting up a wall of attacks.
I'm also wondering if you're autopiloting, which you should definitely watch out for, since it makes yourself a lot more predictable. Try to watch for Bayonetta's slide-y moves because they can get really predictable in some matches. They can be shielded and punished.
You should also try out gyro kill setups, I'll try to send a link once I can. Hopefully someone else can help you out, too; I'm not an expert or anything.

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
I wouldn't use your up-throw so much, although it's great as a kill throw starting at around 130% the down-throw should be used in pretty much all other situations. Down-throw to up-air is one of R.O.B.'s greatest tools (it's called the beep-boop).

You seemed to use your back-air to try to return to stage a lot, while that can useful as a mix-up sometimes it's very punishable if an opponent knows you will use it every time. Depending on which character I'm playing against I almost always go low when recovering, and only occasionally recovering high as a mix-up.

Other than that it seems like you get the idea of most of R.O.B.'s strengths, you just need to keep practicing in order to get the quicker movements down as it seems like you weren't quick enough on the draw in some situations to punish. That will come with time though. Definitely start practicing gyro kill setups once you begin feeling comfortable with his basic movement, as it's where R.O.B.'s strength really is.

Vesoralla

Smash Rookie
NNID
nathaniel33333
3DS FC
2062-9467-1849
Personally I got rid of my rolling habit by going into the control settings and removing shield completely from my controller. After playing a few games, you'll be forced to make workarounds for rolling and shielding.
I'm going to get destroyed, but okay.
The nairs didn't seem to scare him anyway. I can't get away with using Nair, I swear.
I'll be okay with the gyro setups since I know where my opponent will travel when I throw it based on my direction when I threw it, but I might not know exactly when I should throw it. I'm too hasty sometimes.

EDIT: Also, I can't disable one of the button commands in the settings on the 3dsl.

Last edited:
Top Bottom