• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I haven't seen anyone talk about this tech yet

Kmac0

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx6L0wiZDdk
Basically the gist of this video is that characters are allowed to cancel their run into an immediate sliding neutral-b.
It cuts out the jumpsquat frames as well as the 10 frames of wavedash lag.

It is also the science behind the vududash, which is a popular Luigi tech.
Unfortunately, Samus cannot make good use of the vududash, primarily because her charge blast pushes her backwards when in the air. We don't need the momentum anyways, drop zone charge blasts are good enough.

This technique is both easy to perform, and good for using your time efficiently and optimizing movement.
I don't see a very large number uses, but there are definitely some:

- Run backwards and charge your shot, perhaps you run from the ledge into center stage and cut down on frames by doing a run cancel neutral B.
- Catch them in a dash dance for bad DI. Lots of people have ****ty neutral, if you have a good idea of when they are going to dash backwards during a dash dance, you can time a running charge blast to really **** with their DI / make them question their spacing.
- The shot comes out pretty fast. So given the amount of shield stun, it could be used as a viable tool in neutral to either scare them or cut down their shield.
- I personally love to sit down and charge my blaster when people try and camp me. I don't see why this wouldn't be useful there.
- Honestly this tech just makes her projectile game objectively better, so I don't see why one shouldn't learn it. It's a pretty simple input.

Litt

Samus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx6L0wiZDdk
Basically the gist of this video is that characters are allowed to cancel their run into an immediate sliding neutral-b.
It cuts out the jumpsquat frames as well as the 10 frames of wavedash lag.

It is also the science behind the vududash, which is a popular Luigi tech.
Unfortunately, Samus cannot make good use of the vududash, primarily because her charge blast pushes her backwards when in the air. We don't need the momentum anyways, drop zone charge blasts are good enough.

This technique is both easy to perform, and good for using your time efficiently and optimizing movement.
I don't see a very large number uses, but there are definitely some:

- Run backwards and charge your shot, perhaps you run from the ledge into center stage and cut down on frames by doing a run cancel neutral B.
- Catch them in a dash dance for bad DI. Lots of people have ****ty neutral, if you have a good idea of when they are going to dash backwards during a dash dance, you can time a running charge blast to really **** with their DI / make them question their spacing.
- The shot comes out pretty fast. So given the amount of shield stun, it could be used as a viable tool in neutral to either scare them or cut down their shield.
- I personally love to sit down and charge my blaster when people try and camp me. I don't see why this wouldn't be useful there.
- Honestly this tech just makes her projectile game objectively better, so I don't see why one shouldn't learn it. It's a pretty simple input.
Possible application for samus, is quicker running shield option by charge cancel into shield, not sure the frames of it but just my thoughts after see the tech on how it could be applied for samus, however when most people see you have a flashy canon, the last thing you are going to use in neutral is your charge shot because any good player wants to bait it out

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I don't think it's very useful with samus unfortunately. How many samuses do use run -> crouch neutral b? That's only 3 frames slower than running neutral b.

It's not easy either, the timing on the b is frame precise.

@ Litt Litt You can already just shield during run, so it's only slower to go through neutral b in the middle.

Last edited:

Kmac0

Smash Cadet
Well the key differences between run cancel neutral B and running crouch neutral B is the 3 frame difference you mentioned, and the slide you get from run cancelling.
To me, the maneuver looks far less telegraphed than a running crouch neutral B.

Although I do agree in that the applications are few and far between. I just I feel that Samus is one of /those/ characters who should take whatever she can get. AKA not an inherently good character.

Litt

Samus
I don't think it's very useful with samus unfortunately. How many samuses do use run -> crouch neutral b? That's only 3 frames slower than running neutral b.

It's not easy either, the timing on the b is frame precise.

@ Litt Litt You can already just shield during run, so it's only slower to go through neutral b in the middle.
You misunderstand the implications of the application of charge canceling into shield, should you have a 3/4th charged shot... and you run up to someone and charge cancel it with a run, visually it looks like you fired it, and the shield can bait out a response and guard you from said response... while if that response is shielding, and you anticipate it, you can immediately grab

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@ Kmac0 Kmac0 I see what you mean, I'm a fox main, and I've been trying to learn running shine, which is not that different from run -> crouch shine. Every little things count. One tech which I think would be useful for Samus that I haven't seen anyone use is dash -> shai drop from platforms. It lets you space drops in a way that's not possible otherwise, which could be useful for example when shooting missiles.

@ Litt Litt I was just referring to this part:
Possible application for samus, is quicker running shield
so I guess it was some kind of misunderstanding :)

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
@ Kmac0 Kmac0 I see what you mean, I'm a fox main, and I've been trying to learn running shine, which is not that different from run -> crouch shine. Every little things count. One tech which I think would be useful for Samus that I haven't seen anyone use is dash -> shai drop from platforms. It lets you space drops in a way that's not possible otherwise, which could be useful for example when shooting missiles.

@ Litt Litt I was just referring to this part: so I guess it was some kind of misunderstanding :)
Yeah my bad dude, I should have explained the cognitive component better regarding moving forward with a big shiney ball in front of you more towards your opponent to force a reaction

You misunderstand the implications of the application of charge canceling into shield, should you have a 3/4th charged shot... and you run up to someone and charge cancel it with a run, visually it looks like you fired it, and the shield can bait out a response and guard you from said response... while if that response is shielding, and you anticipate it, you can immediately grab
hm, good point.

Top Bottom