• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have tons of trouble comboing

DragonZProductions

Smash Rookie
So i have mained mario for about 6 months or so, interspersed with Fox, Sonic, and Falco, however I have a terrible combo game. My neutral game is pretty good, however when I begin a combo I often find myself unable to continue the combo past 1 or 2 hits. For example I'll upair and expect to be able to follow up with wavedash up smash but often I cannot connect with this. So other more experienced mario mains What are the bread and butter combos you use?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Stuff
Fireball grab dair nair
Dair dsmash
Nair jab grab stuff
Utilt insert uairs fair
Dtilt to uair to nair
Utilt dair stuff
Nair dsmash
etc
Really, mario doesn't need long and extended combos, due to his knockback, fireballs, and being able to kill/edge guard/gimp most of the cast
comfortable.

Last edited:

DragonZProductions

Smash Rookie
Stuff
Fireball grab dair nair
Dair dsmash
Nair jab grab stuff
Utilt insert uairs fair
Dtilt to uair to nair
Utilt dair stuff
Nair dsmash
etc
Really, mario doesn't need long and extended combos, due to his knockback, fireballs, and being able to kill/edge guard/gimp most of the cast
comfortable.
I honestly had no idea about several of these. To be honest I often would just space fireballs and go for dair grab. I had no idea that some of these can even come close to connect, most interesting is the Dtilt to uair to nair combo. Thanks :D

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Depending on Di, you can go for fairs after those uairs, as well as the nairs.

Last edited:

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
Training mode can help you learn some of his combos.
Dthrow/uthrow chaingrabs on like, everyone. I've noticed that Mario can dthrow chaingrab Lucas to like 50%.
Dtilt is really useful for combos, and you can cancel the first or second hit of jab into all tilts or dsmash.
Fireball hit confirms into almost anything, but useful ones would be dsmash and fsmash for finishers.
Dthrow/dtilt to fair or nair
You can dtilt to utilt at low percents (like 40%, since at 40% dtilt will knock almost any character upwards and into hitstun for free followups) and follow up with something like uair or nair.
I haven't found many uses for ftilt, except for some times where I can use it to finish a combo off if the opponent is within reach. Sometimes if they are at too high a percent to dtilt into nair or something, I'll do fireball confirm to ftilt. It's useful to setup edgeguards since it comes out really fast.
And any other combos Nameless mentioned :D otherwise, just practice your combos and followups in training, that what I did.

I have a question also: what are some good uses of jab reset for Mario?

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
What do you mean good uses...?
It allows you to do just about anymove after you reset them, given the proper timing. Moves that can setup this situation are uair, fair, dtilt, fsmash, usmash and dthrow.

A good use of ftilt, is using it to space. You can space it out, so it's safe on sheild and you can throw a fireball before it and have both moves hit a sheild at the same time.

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
What do you mean good uses...?
It allows you to do just about anymove after you reset them, given the proper timing. Moves that can setup this situation are uair, fair, dtilt, fsmash, usmash and dthrow.

A good use of ftilt, is using it to space. You can space it out, so it's safe on sheild and you can throw a fireball before it and have both moves hit a sheild at the same time.
I think when I said that I was thinking of good situations to jab reset. Lolmyb. I'll have to try out the ftilt for spacing and stuff.

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
I've been playing Mario since I got PM in January 2013, I usually like to fireball, grab, down throw, dair, regrab, then down throw again to dair and finish with an upair

Aingeal

Smash Rookie
Does fireball clank with all projectiles? (with the exception of ZSS' laser)
I haven't had a chance to test this...that's why I'm asking

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Does fireball clank with all projectiles? (with the exception of ZSS' laser)
I haven't had a chance to test this...that's why I'm asking
No
You would have to mess around to figure all the stuff they don't beat. They don't beat all pikmin, charged projectiles, they don't outright destroy waladee, pk Fire probably just burns on contact, bombs stop moving or they explode I forget and so on.

Top Bottom