• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have to say, Spirits and World of Light... not bad at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Back when Spirits was announced in November 1st, I saw a lot of people take to the internet and be outraged about them and the lack of trophies. At the time I didn't completely understand the concept when Sakurai presented it, so I waited till I could try it myself. And I was pleasantly surprised.

I get a kick out of fighting those custom matches which mix things up in interesting ways. Collecting Spirits becomes addicting and it helps that you can play it on the go. Some people compared this to the Subspace Emissary mode, but to me this is more like a near endless succession of Event Matches and a longer Adventure Mode without the platforming segments.

I know that some people lament the loss of trophies with their descriptions, but the Spirits have a more practical use and feel more involved in the gameplay. Trophies will be missed but I'm more of a practical guy who prefers to have content in a game that can be put to use and have some impact on the actual gameplay. People say that they have no lore but a lot of them are arranged in way that reference their source material and provide some cute nods to their history.

There was this particular section of the map that was an homage to the Street Fighter games that I found quite charming:

You travel in a plane across several regions like in Street Fighter II.

You have to defeat opponents before moving to the next one. Most fights take place in an Omega Stage and feature low jumping.
First fight is against Zero Suit Samus possessed by Chun Li. I believe ZSS has boosted power in her kick attacks which I thought it was neat.
Another fight is against a green DK possessed by Blanka and who is equipped with a Screw Attack.
Another is Little Mac possesed by Balrog.
Another one is giant Ryu possessed by Sagat. He has super armor and mostly spams Hadoukens at long range and Shoryukens at close range.

One of the last fights is against a Ganondorf possessed by Bison, who reflected projectiles.

I felt like I was playing Street Fighter for a moment and the whole thing was pretty fun. The giant Ryu gave me some headaches but after switching to Megaman and attacking him at long range, I was able to prevail.

Even if they aren't really there, it kinda felt like fighting against the cast of Street Fighter

Gotta say, this and the Classic Mode re touched for each character makes this my favorite Smash single player experience ever. Subspace was hit or miss with its shoddy platforming and length, but the story and cutscenes were great at least. Adventure Mode was fun but could get a little repetitive over time.
WoL just hits the right spot with me. I see myself coming back to play it on New Game +, and once I get everything there is in the game, I'm considering deleting my save and start anew.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Status
Not open for further replies.