• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have no desire to wave-dash

Kyzael

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raiyn
3DS FC
0104-3086-6937
Should I bother even playing anything but Smash 4? I attempt to try playing it but it's just feeling like a drag to even attempt to wave-dash.
And even if practice would fix that, I just have no current desire to try to learn yet I would like to actually give my friends a challenge when fighting.

I'm conflicted. :I

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
learning to wavedash won't help you give your friends a challenge. You have to learn WHEN to use wavedashing, and it's not as frequent as you'd think. More than anything else you should learn to l-cancel. Or if you play lucario in PM as well, learn to ASC. The lucario boards can help you with that.

Last edited:

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
A: You can't expect to just naturally be good at Smash (or most things in life) if you don't put in the effort.
B: Wavedashing is really not important for almost every character. Things like spacing, stage control, and mindgames--which require no technical skill but still need to be learned and practiced--are actually what will make you good. (also directional influence)

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
the idea that you'll just magically drop all of your skill if you don't wavedash at all is probably one of the silliest beginner-mistakes I always notice

unless you specifically understand the scenarios where it's good (wavelanding on platforms and the like), you will never need it for about 90% of the cast. honestly, with some characters (jigglypuff), they're very much little on the techskill, moreso emphasizing how good you are at spacing and punishing

also don't listen to kati, if @ Frost | Odds Frost | Odds has taught me anything bowser has way too much techskill, lmao

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Wave dashing doesn't immediately make you M2K
It's not really a skill you need but it would be nice to know how to
You won't give your friends a challenge by wave dash
Just do you

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Wavedashing is useful, but doesn't make a huge difference. It's a tool for approaching or escaping fast and while attacking, but that's all. You have to learn it, but not in the very first levels of competitive game. I would say L-cancel, Out of Shield options and some advanced techniques of whoever is your main come first than wavedashing.

As a matter of fact, many many characters do not use it as much as others. I would say it's pretty important if you main Luigi, but if you take Peach, Zelda or Jigglypuff it's not that useful. And thus, I believe it's better if you learn how to waveland, which is quite more useful if you choose some other members of the cast.

If you like Lucario too much, take it, but Lucario's PM moveset and mechanics are pretty complicated for beginners. I would recommend you to play some matches with different characters until you choose another one. Bowser and Mario are very good choices for beginners since they doesn't require too much skill or fast inputs to be played properly. But it's just a suggestion, you can get into Lucario boards if you wish for a comprehensive guide.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Should I bother even playing anything but Smash 4? I attempt to try playing it but it's just feeling like a drag to even attempt to wave-dash.
And even if practice would fix that, I just have no current desire to try to learn yet I would like to actually give my friends a challenge when fighting.

I'm conflicted. :I
Stop smoking weed and get some damn exercise

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
If you don't want to train to get better you'll never be a challenge for your friends, but I can tell you wavedashing isn't the magical trick to defeating all foes. If you want to a be a challenge, you need to work on the FUNDAMENTALS, like spacing, stage control, proper defensive and offensive play, etc. All of which are also useful in Sm4sh, so you may as well practice them anyways cause there's no getting around them.

Squire

Smash Apprentice
Wavedashing isn't all that important. It's good, and at higher level play you should know how and when to use it, but as far as tech goes, I think wavelanding, dash dancing and shffling are much more practical skills to learn. Mindgames are huge, but they don't require tech (although tech can be a useful tool in mindgaming an opponent).

Idk much about Lucario, and most of this is coming from a Melee background, but the only characters I've seen who really scoot around with wavedashing are ICs and the Mario Bros (mainly Luigi). Mostly wavedashing is for quick spacing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. My experience in Melee isn't anything to sneeze at, but admittedly its much more catered to the Links and the Plumbers.

You should practice it. It took me maybe 10 minutes to get down when I first learned it, it was learning when to use it that took a while.

Gotta admit though, when I read the title "I have no desire to wave-dash" I did automatically think "Oh... One of those guys."

You should learn it, and just keep it in your pocket for a rainy day if you really don't want to use it.

I do it by short hopping with :GCX: then air dodging with :GCLT: (some people use :GCY: and/or :GCRT: but it feels weird to me) then hitting :GCDL: or :GCDR:

Keep doing that, faster and faster until your awkward triangular jump becomes a slide. It's pretty simple. Again, no one's forcing you to learn it if you don't want to, but there it is.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Wavedashing certainly isn't the be-all end-all and I wouldn't even recommend worrying about it until you've got most everything else under your belt first. But in general, having a mindset where you just refuse to learn something no matter what is not a good mindset to have.

Top Bottom