• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have figured out the sliding Counter!

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
Ike's sliding Counter can be done during a run of ANY length, and there are two phases of his run in which you can activate it.

The first is just as his feet start to cross. Press down B just as his back foot is facing straight down (sole of his boot behind him, toes straight down) and JUST BARELY touching the heel of the other foot.
Left foot, right foot, it doesn't even matter which one's going forward when you Counter, so long as his feet NEARLY occupy the same spot visually.
And just so that we're clear here, when I say "back foot", I DON'T mean the one farthest from our view, I mean his trailing foot.

The other phase is when both legs are stretched to their maximum distance, both feet in the air.

I've pulled it off over 100 times in a row now, at various stages of his run.
One step, two steps, ten steps, it doesn't matter, so long as Counter activates at either of these two points.

Another way to help with pulling it off is to learn the rhythm of his footsteps.
I can activate it roughly 2/3 of the time just playing by ear, just remember that he can do it every HALF step AND just before a new step.
For Ike mains planning to make heavy use of this, it may be worth lowering the music volume and wearing headphones to get the best milage you can out of it.

Also tested it with the slower diagonal angle run, seems that the timing is the same, but slower. It has a uselessly tiny boost in distance and is nearly impossible to pull off outside of training mode.
Might be doable by B-sticking it in the Wii U version, but almost certainly not worth it.
He also Counter Slides slightly at any point during his walk animation.

One final note:
All of this info also applies to Palutena's Counter, but because she floats its very hard to visually tell when it can be done, you'd likely have to memorize the distance you have to move.
Its not gonna help anyone mid-battle, but the two phases it works for Palutena are roughly (though not exactly) when her staff is closest to and furthest from her head, easiest to see when dashing left.

Anywho; good luck out there guys, I hope this proves to be of some use. :)

Last edited:

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
If you want to practice it:

-Go to Training Mode with Ike.
-Set speed to 1/4 And Zoom in the camera.
-Run either left or right and pay attention to his feet.
-Just as his feet start to cross by each other or are fully out-stretched, press down B.

Once you've got that down try swapping to normal view but keeping it slow, and slowly increase the speed as you get better at it.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Very nice. Gonna add this section to the guide.

Last edited:

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
Another Tip:
In order to pull it off easier, DO NOT lift your thumb from forward to press downward, merely slide your finger to diagonal down-forward and then straight down, like a "reverse Hadoken" movement.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
So I guess my initial thoughts about inputting it on the first frame wasn't far off, then.

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
Eh, I'm not sure, feels like its at least 3 frames for each phase, so about 6 frames total, or roughly a 10% chance of pulling it off randomly while running.

Besides that, I've had a few times where my slide was slightly longer or shorter, that might be based on the frame the input happened on, though that's just speculation.
Its possible that one phase creates a longer dash then the other, or maybe having more momentum added during when input during the run compared to just after the dash, I'm honestly not sure.

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
You said this applies to Palutena too, does it apply to any character with a counter? I main Mii swordfighter, I wouldn't mind having this up my sleeve....

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
You know what?
I've tried it with everybody BUT Mii Swordfighter, I forgot he had a counter move.

It doesn't seem to work with anyon else that I've tried it on, but I suppose that I could check similar moves like Reflector/Bucket/Psy Magnet.

Top Bottom