• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have a better question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Studstill

Smash Ace
Who else is going to help grow the online SSB64 scene, and thus the SSB64 scene at large.
This is who I see contributing, if you are not on this list and think you should be, comment please.
If you are not on this list and WANT TO HELP (because we totally need it) THEN COMMENT, YO.

It could be as much as you`d like to do or as little as showing up at a certain time to play SSB.
In no order:
Knitephox, Umbra, Kabal, Shears, Studstill, Crusader, bloodpeach.

Studstill

Smash Ace
We wouldn`t be HERE if it weren`t for you. Or lack of all of you, rather. Get called out, everyone. Uncle SSB needs you. Reddit isn`t going to do it, Smashboards isn`t going to do it, you and me and them will, but we`re waiting on you

Annex

Smash Ace
I organized a tourney in my dorm that pulled like 20 people so I could make some grocery money
What should I be doing

Studstill

Smash Ace
What's wrong with online to you specifically
Absolutely nothing that cannot change. I`ve given about 6 weekends in a row to this effort of the Tournament series, and have a few people, mostly mentioned above, that have done about 3 weekends a piece.
The turnout has not been ideal. I am starting to think this is because there actually aren`t enough people to play.
This thread is an effort to make the impending failure known. I think we need about 8 people to play in the tournaments, a core that can be grown upon, an established and definitely happening event that players could just join, instead of needing them to join in order to have a tournament at all. The latter is wearing on me, just making that known. So yeah, if you don`t like me, or SSB64, then keep finding other stuff to do on the weekends.
Otherwise, we`ll see you on Friday/Saturday!

Studstill

Smash Ace
I mean, specifically, if all it`s ever going to be is months+ long tournaments that rarely ever finish and wading through randos for matches, then ok. I can see a brighter, more fun, super-awesome future, but the few of us currently trying are just not getting it done. This isn`t a "I`m tired of wasting my time;" that`s impossible as no time on Smash is wasted. This is just my honest opinion that it isn`t looking good, we could use some help.

Annex

Smash Ace
Maybe less frequent tournaments would help
As of now those online tournaments are what I do when I happen to not be getting wasted on a weekend evening. If you had less of them then I (and probably some other people too) would maybe plan around it

Also it could be really useful to put together one zip file which has everything already set up and calibrated and some links to the best adapters+controllers to make joining online super easy. I mean it already is really easy but I actually know a couple people who just didn't want to sit through knite's hour long video and do their own troubleshooting
I might do that later if I stop being a lazy ****

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
I've just never been able to regularly set up games without desync and lag issues that make it not worth it. And I'm obsessed with this game and have been a competent computer user since I was a young kid, but even on multiple computers, running different OSes and trying connections both wired and wireless on different networks it's just pointless. Not to mention the barrier to entry for potential newcomers based on how awkward, clunky, and non-intuitive PJ64k is and all the weird settings that can potentially cause desync issues: controller plug ins, going full screen, etc. Then there's the issue of finding people to play on a server with, having the same connection type etc. etc.

These aren't huge hurdles for people like us who are already really dedicated and are looking for good people to play against but I really don't understand how the scene is supposed to "grow" as it is right now. Nobody who doesn't already really like SSB64 is going to be won over when there's a million other games to compete with, especially stuff like League and Dota that actually work. Hell not to mention newer forms of smash that have netplay already built in.

This is just my two cents but if you guys really want to make playing online "super easy" someone's going to have to knuckle down and write a single executable that just has the emulator, plug-ins, and net-play functionality set up so that it just ****ing works without having to consult a 10,000 word write up on some message board. How many threads have you seen since you joined this board that basically all say the same thing: "I CAN'T GET ONLINE PLAY TO WORK, PLEASE HELP!" PJ64k just isn't going to cut it, regardless of whether there are servers or people to play with.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a p2p connection be better than connecting to a central server anyway? This is a fighting game that runs at 60 fps so every millisecond of lag matters a lot.

Studstill

Smash Ace
Wow, yeah Annex/Horse exactly. That`s being worked on by a few people in the community, (I think), and will possibly be done this year, if not by them then by an outside person.
To catch you up, I think that at this point it essentially boils down to Mupen > PJ, but no gameshark.
The idea with the central server is to have one place initially for Kaillera Smashres to go. This could be FU, it has no need to actually be in the geographical center, if you follow me. Then the other servers will just help to reduce lag between potential opponents.
Yes, p2p is of course preferred, and Kabal is totally willing to walk anyone through that process, he`s quite good at it.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Wow I didn't mean to be such a buzzkill last night. Maybe I'm bitter because I got so excited when I heard you could play people in ssb64 online and I've never been able to get it to work. It's like there's a rule that either the game will run smoothely and desync in the middle or if it doesn't ds the input lag is so bad I feel like I can't play at my full potential. Sometimes the dreamland song slows down to like half the bpm.

If somebody ever does write an improved emulator, or just package one as an executable with properly-working netplay enabled by default they would certainly be a saint among smashers so good luck.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
Nobody who doesn't already really like SSB64 is going to be won over when there's a million other games to compete with, especially stuff like League and Dota that actually work. Hell not to mention newer forms of smash that have netplay already built in.
This pretty much sums up everything. Not to mention there's a civil war within this community with two sides that hate each other. Not very welcoming.

caneut

Smash Ace
Online should be treated as nothing more but a casual playing of a competitive game. The biggest games in esports now (starcraft, dota, lol, counterstrike) all are played on LAN, the equivalent of consoles.

Console on a good screen is as close as a competitive scenario as you can get because without delay you are literally just placing your skill vs another on equal setting.

Online does that have that. You may p2p someone to get equal frames, and you are both subjected to an "equal disadvantage" but there are many more variables to that. Monitor's have different delays. The controller or adapter you use may factor in some delay. Being on wifi adds a crazy amount of delay.

Throw in the broken online mechanics that we have with desyncs and etc, online should be nothing more than friendlies and friendlies tournaments. But the fact that online deters the competitive setting from the game does not mean it should not calibrate itself to be as competitive as it can, such as playing only the most neutral stage and not playing stages that have random factors. (lelele or not allow the character that has the easiest combo with no room for error cough kirby cough).

Studstill

Smash Ace
Yeah so just to get back on point, anyone else going to step up and put some time in? Fireblaster playing in Friday Saturday?

NovaSmash

3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
We are on point. IDK how people who are already part of the community playing in tourneys will help the online scene grow. Maybe I'm missing something.

Annex

Smash Ace
We are on point. IDK how people who are already part of the community playing in tourneys will help the online scene grow. Maybe I'm missing something.
People could be watching without participating, and the higher numbers would entice them to join
It's like there's a rule that either the game will run smoothely and desync in the middle or if it doesn't ds the input lag is so bad I feel like I can't play at my full potential
I'm not saying it's your fault because it probably isn't, but I know a lot of people don't have many problems
For me I can get in a match with somebody I'm talking to on skype within 20 seconds, get AT MOST 4 frames (usually 2), experience very minimal lag spikes unless it's teams, and play ~15 minutes before a desync. And playing only 2 or 3 games and then reloading eliminates desyncs altogether

NovaSmash

3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
You are wasting your time, there is no helping the online scene grow. I have no problem with losing but 99% of players online have ****ty attitudes and have to add a smartass remark after they win. No point, community is too toxic, move on with your life. The online ssb scene will never be as big or bigger than it used to be. All I'm saying is, there's a good reason people aren't flocking to come play ssb64 online.

Last edited:

NovaSmash

3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
Warning Received
I dont have a problem. I didnt say everyone has to feel the same way, swerve buddy

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
REPUTATION!

REPUTATION!

REPUTATION!

OH I HAVE LOST MY REPUTATION, THE IMMORTAL PART OF MYSELF, AND WHAT REMAINS IS BESTIAL!

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Thinly veiled callout, typical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom