• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I feel I move quite slow when I play Marth

SirhcEz

Smash Rookie
And when I see pro players play, they are moving around the map super quickly, and moves don't have lag.

How can I train directly to acquire speed?

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
Are you L-Canceling your aerials? Also wavedash makes you move faster. Make sure you time them correctly. A wavedash can do more then just make you move faster however.

Marth is all about movement. His wavedashes, DD, waveland etc are what makes him get him to move faster. If used correctly you will be able to move faster on the stage and also better mindgames too.

Fast-falling is also great too. You can fast fall from any aerial and jump. Hold the analog stick :GCD: when he is about to fall.

Also. 20XX has color layers which can help you to improve your movement. The green represents that you are standing still or stopped moving.

This may may not be the best advice but i hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

SirhcEz

Smash Rookie
Are you L-Canceling your aerials? Also wavedash makes you move faster. Make sure you time them correctly. A wavedash can do more then just make you move faster however.

Marth is all about movement. His wavedashes, DD, waveland etc are what makes him get him to move faster. If used correctly you will be able to move faster on the stage and also better mindgames too.

Fast-falling is also great too. You can fast fall from any aerial and jump. Hold the analog stick :GCD: when he is about to fall.

Also. 20XX has color layers which can help you to improve your movement. The green represents that you are standing still or stopped moving.

This may may not be the best advice but i hope this helps. :)
The thing is, the only tech I use in game is the sprint cancel for the grab.
Suppose I have to learn.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
The thing is, the only tech I use in game is the sprint cancel for the grab.
Suppose I have to learn.
These tech are very important so it is best to learn them and also learn how they can be used. :)

SirhcEz

Smash Rookie
These tech are very important so it is best to learn them and also learn how they can be used. :)
What should I add to my gameplay first?
I want to do onething at a time, I currently only have the jump cancel grab,

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
What should I add to my gameplay first?
I want to do onething at a time, I currently only have the jump cancel grab,
Best to learn how to wavedash first. Then after you have gotten used to that tech then learn how to dashdance.
There are videos on how to do it. This will should help you. :)

If the video is too small click on the video title in the player.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I'm also working on a guide thing for Marth's neutral game in general. Right now it's just his DD game, but it'll still probably be a nice resource for newer players. It's only fundamentals, though. I only go into theoretical situations to illustrate a point.

AirFair

Marth tho
Yeah melee is quite slow without more movement options and L cancel.

go look up advanced how to play ssbm and learn everything there as a start.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Learn that frame data bud. The pros you're watching are acting out of every movement close to the first available frame in most cases, so best thing you can do is study timings on movement options to flow smoothly and quickly from one into the other.

But also keep in mind the game always looks slower when you're actually playing it vs when you're watching it.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Learn that frame data bud. The pros you're watching are acting out of every movement close to the first available frame in most cases, so best thing you can do is study timings on movement options to flow smoothly and quickly from one into the other.

But also keep in mind the game always looks slower when you're actually playing it vs when you're watching it.
I don't necessarily think that you have to learn the ins and outs of the frame data, but knowing by feel approximately when you're actionable will take you super far. I do a lot of edge canceling as Falco for the fun of it, but I'd never considered the fact that I was active on frame 1 after successfully getting the cancel. Try to push how quickly you think you can act out of something until it can't be pushed any further.

Top Bottom