• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I deduced the difference between 3DS/WiiU versions.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
SSB4 will use touchscreen as a new gameplay element. You will affect the stage by adding platforms, items, hazards, assist trophies, etc. There could also be stage-specific gimmicks activated with the touchscreen. (such as turrets, arwing strikes, piranha plants, whatever)

For WiiU version this of course means assymetrical multiplayer, with the tablet screen player probably not controlling a character. And if he is controlling a character there must probably be some advantage to the other players to make up for it.

Now how does this relate to the 3DS version? Well that's easy, it will simply mean that all players by default have access to the touchscreen feature, and can control a fighter at the same time.

This way you have two versions of the game, each one offering an exclusive experience, without having to gimp either version. Ergo, this is almost certainly the direction SSB4 will use. (not to mention WiiU has a touchscreen.. and Brawl allowed motion controls)

For the record, I have no proof this will happen, except sheer logic.

To show I am serious and that this was thread worthy, I wager exactly 1 coke on my prediction.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I suggest changing the title of the thread to "Possible Differences between the 3DS and WiiU versions".

Anyway, whatever you said is certainly within the realm of possibility.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm definitely expecting touch screen use for both versions, especially for stage builder. C'mon Sakurai, you know you want to.

Anyway's, as Falkoopa said, it's possible they might do something like that.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Sakurai's not going to deviate too much (if at all) from core game mechanics since it's a good way to alienate your fan base (NOT something they want to do right now, dear god.)

However, I expect, like Kikwi and others said, that touch screen will be utilized in some way with both games. However, I also expect it to be incredibly optional. Anyone remember the Shake Smash option in Brawl? Yeah, that thing you never used? I expect something like that in some form, and the incredibly obvious stage builder functionility.

finalark

SNORLAX
._. Touch screen use on SSB3D? Uuh...it could be a gimmick they could add... Seems pretty useless to me, though.
You haven't stuck with Nintendo that long, have you?

Honestly, I'm sure that Nintendo will have some sort of touch screen control, but it will probably be completely optional.

Although I'm still baffled on why Nintendo decided to only allow users to have one touch pad connected at all times. Other than some sort of marketing scheme to get people to buy pro controllers. Which most of us were going to to anyway.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
You haven't stuck with Nintendo that long, have you?

Honestly, I'm sure that Nintendo will have some sort of touch screen control, but it will probably be completely optional.

Although I'm still baffled on why Nintendo decided to only allow users to have one touch pad connected at all times. Other than some sort of marketing scheme to get people to buy pro controllers. Which most of us were going to to anyway.
Oh no no no. I have been stuck with nintendo since the N64. I just don't expect touch screen use to be used during gameplay... Like Swampsaur said, I can also see menu interaction through touch screen happening, but not with actualy gameplay.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'd expect the touch screen to be heavily used for customizing features and camera controls.

Stage building, trophy viewing and taking snapshots are some features that could benefit from touch screen controls.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
This is a cool idea. It would be interesting to see how they would use it, if they went in this direction.

finalark

SNORLAX
Oh no no no. I have been stuck with nintendo since the N64. I just don't expect touch screen use to be used during gameplay... Like Swampsaur said, I can also see menu interaction through touch screen happening, but not with actualy gameplay.
I'm just saying Nintendo has a habit of doing weird ****.

Octopus controllers.
Mini disks.
Motion controls.
Tablet controllers.
Putting both sticks up top.

The list goes on.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I think the 3DS version can be fairly similar to Jump Superstars. The bottom screen for SSB4, will be the equivalent of JSS's comic panel; but instead they'll be utilizing the stickers that were in SSBB's SSE. Players will be able to customize the bottom half of the screen with whatever stickers they can fit.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
There definitely will be a camera mode for the gamepad. The 5th player would have complete control going around the stage taking pictures of anything. They will have the ability to pause the game, put only on the gamepad so they do not disrupt gameplay for the other 4, to get a better shot.

And if there is a 'forge' mode then it would obviously be controlled through the gamepad. But for a normal 4 player stock match the only realistic thing the gamepad could be used for would be taking pictures.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
By the way. I figured out how to make WiiU tablet user balanced with the other players. The other players will team up against him. The tablet player is essentially a boss. The tablet player is Master Hand. Or Ridley. Or one of the SSE bosses.

I guess this is obvious now that I think about it. But for some reason I was thinking something along the lines of: 2 players fight, and the 3rd player uses tablet to troll the other 2 players for no reason.

Sakurai's not going to deviate too much (if at all) from core game mechanics since it's a good way to alienate your fan base (NOT something they want to do right now, dear god.)
Well it's only really the WiiU version that can't afford to alienate the fanbase.
SSB has never been on handheld before so the 3DS version is a bonus.

The WiiU gamepad feature by nature will be optional. After all, you can't force one of the players to the ugly duckling if they don't want to. Especially if there are only 2 players.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
What's up with everyone wanting the ability to change stage hazards, spawn items, platforms etc. with the touchscreen? To me, that's sound horrible and not particularily fun at all even at a casual level.

And I think that even tripping is okay in a casual aspect of Brawl (note, it is okay, but definitely not anything that Smash needs or should be in Smash)...

However, I must admit that I can't recall if I have played a game with similar mechanics.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
What's up with everyone wanting the ability to change stage hazards, spawn items, platforms etc. with the touchscreen? To me, that's sound horrible and not particularily fun at all even at a casual level.

And I think that even tripping is okay in a casual aspect of Brawl (note, it is okay, but definitely not anything that Smash needs or should be in Smash)...

However, I must admit that I can't recall if I have played a game with similar mechanics.
If its a seprate game mode then its fine.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Maybe touchscreen won't be environment related, maybe it will be for inventory.
You can cause items to spawn, or choose when to activate assist trophies.

Or better yet a mix of item and environment.
The touchscreen will display a map of the stage. Touching in an area will cause an item to spawn there.

Maybe this can be used to do things that aren't environment specific. For example maybe you can lay mines anywhere in the stage. Players can see where mines are being laid even on their screen (as they are being laid) so it wouldn't be too cheap.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
idk i dont see the touchscreens having to much effect on the actual gameplay. definately would be used in the stage builder, menu and trophy browsing and what not. and in the Wii U's case would most likely be used as a 2nd screen like in Super Mario U. and being the inventory and stage hazard guy doesnt really sound fun at all.
can i get a Pepsi instead. i dont really like Coke.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
More brainstorming. More and more it seems I did not think my idea through.
However, as much as the WiiU idea fails, it just means the 3DS version gets to be more unique. (therefore the general idea holds up - which is simply that the 3DS version will have a feature exclusive to it, to make it unique from the WiiU version)

On 3DS everyone has touchscreen. So whatever the touchscreen is used for, it will be excellent because everyone has access to it. (making it balanced, and making it applicable to both co-op and competitive modes)

On Wiiu it is a doozy because only one person can have it. So either it will be unbalanced for competitive play, and even for co-op play, it will be weird since only one person gets to use the tablet.

Generally speaking a WiiU owner who has someone to play with will use a tablet controller for one player and a pro controller (or maybe Wii remote + classic controller, if that's allowed) for the other.
In the end the only ideal solution is to have the tablet do nothing of importance, and have both players be equal.

So in the end, any tablet-specific features has to be for a non-fighter, and has to be on the same side as the other player(s).
OR, the tablet user can be against the other players, but this would be a standalone single-serving mode. You wouldn't do this in SSE for example since the tablet user can lose on purpose (or have nobody be the tablet user) and even if you play as intended, everyone would hate the tablet user for making them lose.

I thought of one possible alternative however. Both players play co-operatively, both players control a fighter. Only one person is the tablet user. The tablet is used to give the other player items. (or other advantages) This is fair and balanced, because although only one player gets to use the tablet, it's only the other player that gets to benefit from it. Therefore BOTH players are having fun. Conceivably both players can want to be the tablet user, but because it's more fun for them, not because of any strict advantages gained.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
The moment when you just realised/remembered that everyone will be using a Pro Pad anyway... *facepalm* (#_#)
This is incorrect. Generally speaking, exactly one player in almost every household will use tablet controller to save fifty dollars plus tax.

We did the same thing. We had two remotes, one nunchuk, one classic controller. One of us used the classic while I simply used a Wii remote. I rented Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 once but we couldn't even play it together because it didn't support classic. Granted, people with money to burn will pay an extra 50 so every player has a pro controller, to get the premium experience, and so they don't have to suffer from using the tablet controller.

edit: Also I heard of people using Gamecube controllers to play Brawl simply to save money on batteries, not necessarily because they prefer the controller.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
http://wiiudaily.com/2013/04/nintendo-announces-a-3ds-nintendo-direct-this-wednesday/

EDIT: Also dunno if you lot know already and wasent really sure were to post this but a Nintendo Direct for Europe has been announced for this Wednesday coming up reguarding the 3DS dunno what its about really or if any news on WiiU will be there...doubt it i know there saving the big guns for E3.

Link is Above:

This is incorrect. Generally speaking, exactly one player in almost every household will use tablet controller to save fifty dollars plus tax.

We did the same thing. We had two remotes, one nunchuk, one classic controller. One of us used the classic while I simply used a Wii remote. I rented Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 once but we couldn't even play it together because it didn't support classic. Granted, people with money to burn will pay an extra 50 so every player has a pro controller, to get the premium experience, and so they don't have to suffer from using the tablet controller.

edit: Also I heard of people using Gamecube controllers to play Brawl simply to save money on batteries, not necessarily because they prefer the controller.
Ow trust me i am damn pissed of that i gotta get a pro pad..should be bloody £25-£30...i feel like im forced to though.mi have to...

Wouldnt it be kinda funny if the tablet ends up being the way to go for Sm4sh? Competetivly...

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
SSB4 will use touchscreen as a new gameplay element. You will affect the stage by adding platforms, items, hazards, assist trophies, etc. There could also be stage-specific gimmicks activated with the touchscreen. (such as turrets, arwing strikes, piranha plants, whatever)

For WiiU version this of course means assymetrical multiplayer, with the tablet screen player probably not controlling a character. And if he is controlling a character there must probably be some advantage to the other players to make up for it.

Now how does this relate to the 3DS version? Well that's easy, it will simply mean that all players by default have access to the touchscreen feature, and can control a fighter at the same time.

This way you have two versions of the game, each one offering an exclusive experience, without having to gimp either version. Ergo, this is almost certainly the direction SSB4 will use. (not to mention WiiU has a touchscreen.. and Brawl allowed motion controls)

For the record, I have no proof this will happen, except sheer logic.

To show I am serious and that this was thread worthy, I wager exactly 1 coke on my prediction.
I think it will be for keeping the main screen uncluttered with the percentages and such...so,

*Takes Coke*

Your on!

Strevo

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't mind if they incorpareted the touch screen in adventure mode for solving puzzles or something, but not in the heat of a battle. That'd ruin gameplay.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
on 2nd thought yea... now that I own a 3DS XL I hate it when games make you use touchscreen. I stopped playing Kingdom Hearts demo when I got up to that part of the tutorial.

edit: New idea! The 3DS bottom screen will have a zoomed in view of gameplay.
Top screen shows entire level while bottom screen shows you and anyone who happens to be on screen at the time.

Top Bottom