• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can't seem to win in this game.

Ivist

Smash Rookie
NNID
IvanMurillo
3DS FC
0817-3994-0772
I've had the game for a long time now, but I always lose. I don't really know what my play style is. I guess a fast moving and fast hitting character. But I can't win and my w/l percentage is like 23%. I can't even beat my cousin who's pretty good. I'm starting to not like playing. PS. Sav4 is my first smash game.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I always happens, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Playing FG online can be brutal sometimes.

Arrei

Smash Lord
If you can't identify what your problems are yourself, try saving and/or recording replays, sharing them with others, and asking what you're doing wrong.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Learn your defensive options know when to sheild, when to spot dodge and know when to roll. One of the easiest ways to win is just not getting hit don't let them tack on uneccesary damage.

Know when to walk and when to run. You'll obviously get there faster running and can do things like dash grabs and what not but walking can provide you with more offensive options out of your movement.

Learn your spacing on aerials, and find a character whose recovery you're comfortable with , you're not going to win on ground game alone

1FC0

Smash Lord
Pick R.O.B. he is awesome at least you will be losing in honour and with dignity!

Ivist

Smash Rookie
NNID
IvanMurillo
3DS FC
0817-3994-0772
Recently I went 7-1 withRosalina. I think my problem is o get nervous against real people and just forget everything I teach myself.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Recently I went 7-1 withRosalina. I think my problem is o get nervous against real people and just forget everything I teach myself.
I had this problem as well, being able to play decent against familiar friends and family and then heading into For Glory but then do to my nervousness it's like I completely forget any decent sense of play style as if I 'forgot' how to play and I would suck, which made me not want to really play on For Glory.

But then I'd always watch my brother play and I asked him how does he not get so nervous facing real people online. Then he told me, 'Think of it as like fighting a really hard CPU.' Give or take typical For Glory spam/camp shenanigans of course.

So yeah it's pretty much the mindset I stuck with now to the point I don't really even flinch at jumping into 1v1 For Glory anymore (I mainly stuck to team battles before then so I had like 3000 matches there lol). But now I prefer 1v1 more.

Also since this is kind of under the same blanket in the topic of not being able to win and stuff. When I first started playing For Glory 1v1 I mainly stuck with Ike for the most part, being my main and who I was good with. And when I did try to switch off to some other characters that I enjoyed playing, I would just lose, making me want to stick with Ike more.

But again watching my brother, I see him switch between several characters (he plays Marth, Link, Fox, Falco, Donkey Kong, Mewtwo, Lucario, and Captain Falcon). And yet he's good with all of them and can still win his matches. So I asked him what does he do to learn new characters, does he watch videos or read guides and he's like nope. Then I said, you just jump straight into For Glory with them? And he's like yep. Then I said, but what if you keep losing, then he said he keeps playing them.

Which was kind of my problem, once I played and lost with them, I'd get discouraged and not want to touch them again. But I actually took his advice and played several games with Lucas (I remember telling my brother a few days after Lucas' release how I felt sad that I couldn't really reconnect with Lucas anymore, despite being excited for his return, to the point where I felt like I had to drop him cause I just wasn't winning with him). But after several games of just throwing Lucas into the 'lion's den' basically lol. I started picking up on the playstyle better, doing combos I never thought to do in Brawl haha.

So yeah honestly I think my brother's methods for some things are a bit 'unconventional' to say the least. I'm taking advice from the same guy who literally taunts in the middle of Sudden Death for Pete's Sakes lol. So just throwing a character into For Glory may not really work for everyone and reading guides and watching videos won't necessarily hurt you either. But in my case I'm super lazy haha, so I let myself get destroyed in For Glory and learned my mistakes, how to approach better etc.

For Glory's also unpredictable where some moments I can win several games in a row and then lose several games in a row just as easily. I don't really stay in a room where I know it's an impossible match up so say after three games where I'm on a constant lose streak with said person, I'd state my GGs and leave or something. It's about having fun first off, so I see no need to torture myself and getting stuck in the mindset that I suck by continuously losing against this single player and I must absolutely beat him or else. I have tags like 'Good run!' or praising a person that they're good before I leave since it's not like I'm leaving out of rage or salt. If I can't win, I can't win lol. Unless of course it was a spammer/campy person then yeah I'd leave salty then without saying much of anything lol. Also this kinda king out way longer than I expected. Whoops.

Last edited:

HillustratedJ36

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
MIKE#274
Which was kind of my problem, once I played and lost with them, I'd get discouraged and not want to touch them again.
I feel ya, man, trying to tame Yoshi and Mario's moveset. Although I blame my losses on having a hard time thinking of a strategy (especially during the battle), I'm just not used to Smash 4's playstyle, which is why I'm more leaned towards Melee and Project M. And that's how I am at a record of 14-73 on For Glory (3-8 in 1v1 matches)

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I feel ya, man, trying to tame Yoshi and Mario's moveset. Although I blame my losses on having a hard time thinking of a strategy (especially during the battle), I'm just not used to Smash 4's playstyle, which is why I'm more leaned towards Melee and Project M. And that's how I am at a record of 14-73 on For Glory (3-8 in 1v1 matches)
I also recently checked my personal 1v1 record for the first time since I forgot that was a thing I could do (my brother and cousin all play online so all the percentages get molded together). And I have more loses than my wins as well. Certainly doesn't help with my 'strategy' of just throwing characters I'm trying to learn straight into For Glory and seeing what happens lol.

But yeah it doesn't really matter what strategies and techs I read up on or whatever since I usually end up 'blanking' as soon as the match starts anyways. I feel I learn best when I'm actually in the moment since when I fight an opponent all the while I say things to myself like, 'Well that didn't work. Certainly never going to approach you like that again.' or 'Gotta stop rolling against this guy, he keeps punishing me for it.' or 'Using a tilt would have been the safer option instead of going for a smash.' So yeah I pretty much give myself 'tips' during the battle. Certainly more productive than me going, 'OMG! Ugh stop hitting me! Man why does this guy keep landing that! Ugh I hate this character! So slow!' Hurt to say that last one even as an example. I could never hate you Ike!

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Sh*t happens dude. I can go days at a time before getting a single win. I do add for the record that playing in FF or FG not necessarily reflect on your skill, rather FF is a handicap.

There is not any "one" winning strategy in Smash, you need 2-3 at least to keep your game constant, and keep from becoming too predictable (which more often than not, we all fall victim to and thus is the start to developing our strategies). Smash, in terms of the reaction time needed, I consider to be similar to that of driving. Every reaction is in real time, and the simplest mistake can be consequential.

I'm not a master myself, so the only advice I can give is experiment with your character, in solo mode or with a friend, and hone a couple strategies before venturing into the online universe with random people.
And remember, whether you choose For Fun or For Glory (merely misnomers) does not reflect on the quality of ones individual skill, progressing is different for everyone. Who knows? The people you see winning at the Comic Con tourneys might have started out themselves playing with items.

Top Bottom