• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Can't Beat Toon Link

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
:urg: is it me or is toon link created to beat bowser? i would "tips" on how to beat toon link. I have tried aerial approaches and ground approaches but nothing works. Help Me:(

shockfrost

Smash Apprentice
Well, Toon Link is slower than Bowser in air, and he's pretty light. The main issue is, he's a weapon/projectiles style enemy. The sword gives him extra reach to boost his priority. And unlike Link, he's not sluggish.

Use the Firebreath to chew up early damage, intermixed with ducking swipes. Try jumping at him and blowing fire. Eventually he'll start blocking it as you come in, and that's your cue to jump-and-klaw.

You generally don't want him above you. Rather than mess with his Bombs and Sword pogo, just roll away and make some room. Instead, get above him and hash him up.

Try to attack from the corners. This is not so easy for him to strike; he'll have to rely on his boomerang, which takes too long, or come up after you/move. Forcing the enemy to move is generally a good thing. When he starts hopping up after you and doing Up+B, jump back and blow flame.

If he gets aggressive, fight back with your own agression. Hop-maneuver and blow flame in his face, occasionally popping him with your claws. If you catch him open under you, bomb him.

He will try to stay at sword's end in distance from you... show him that is not a safe distance using fire and jump attacks, and he will come in closer. Then you can nail him.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
Toon Link is tough but just about every character is with Bowser.

Your want to get your perfect shielding down. Firebreath isn't very useful in this brawl seeing he'll just stop it with his many projectiles but if you get him off the cliff then firebreath is useful.

If your not very good at perfect shielding then your going to want to keep in the air with fair's. (I jump a lot in campy brawls even tho my perfect shielding is pretty good its just with perfect shield you can approach easier and punish if your not far away from him and you know he's going to use a projectile)

Fair's and Flying slam. Jump at him just enough to make him think your going to attack (but don't attack) then after landing quickly jump again and use Flying slam.

Going in with air dodge to Up B works well too. Wish I could explain this better but I'm bad at these things.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Firebreath at the edge, get ready to sheildgrab and perfect shield a lot, and dodge projectiles i suppose.
Oh and use Side B to grab him when your close as much as you can.

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
A scrub toon link will always try to stab you with his dair, take advantage of his reliance to this attack and get him to use it, dodge and then attack while toon link is removing his sword from the ground.

twotonedSKAzn

Smash Rookie
Is there anything specific that you have trouble with against Toon Link? I always find the d-air attack used often, which case (as said before) roll and punish. I also second the fire attack followed by some claws as it works for me, though I don't think I'm experienced enough to say more.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I hate toon links so much. I consider Toon links much worse than the original Link.
Yea, Tricking the typical TL spammer to use his D-air is vaulable. With great speed and precision, you can land a Boozer Fsmash when he misses, but to conserve time, an F-tilt or a grab.
For the projectiles, I really dont have much to say, but try to keep up the pressure so they wont be using much projectiles. Firebreath helps in destroying his Boomerang and non-charged Arrows, but not against the bombs.
Fsmash spammers really get to me. Hopefully you can Fortress out of the shield after the second hit.
Experience from fighting cheap scrubbish TLs really does help.

neji32

Smash Lord
Im a toon link my self and i just wanted to say that all of you have forgotten about toon links bombs. His bombs have a bigger explosion than links and toon link can throw one over bowsers fire while backing away at the same time. Toon link also stays in the air most of the time and usually only approaches if he has connected with a projectile, if not then he will usually do what marths do and faint his aerials until he lures you in. Jump fire wont work due to TL's ability to throw an angled boomerang, its quicker than you think. But when the boomerang comes back, unless toon link cancels it, he will have lag from catching the boomerang. But most toon links will keep throwing it along with ShDa(short hop double arrows) and if the boomerang is behind you then the toon link will attack knowing that he cant be punished because if you try and attack, toon links boomerang will come back and get you leaving you open for an attack for toon link to make

QUIVO

Smash Master
Short hop airdodge through projectiles
Ftilt his apporach
Jab combo when he's close
Airdodge into shield and then fortress out (go at him at an angle and fall)
Fortress out of shield a lot when his spacing is bad
Dtilt for a little range and to space him out
Don't chase him when he's below the edge and off the stage

Top Bottom