• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can wave dash OoS consistently, but I don't really know what to do with it.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
I use it sometimes to quickly get in range and throw a random d-smash, but it seems like i could be doing this without the initial shield. I know I'm not using it to its full potential.

what am I really supposed to use it for?

general and match-up specifics welcomed!

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
you can use it to make punishes if your opponent hits your shield with an attack that leaves you out of range to do a normal shield grab or nair OOS or whatever else. For instance, lets say the math attacks you with fsmash and hits your shield. At the time he hits you, you are way to far out of reach for a grab or any other realistic OOS punish. If you WD forward right after shield stun ends, however, you can put yourself right next to him and punish the end lag of his attack with grab, dsmash, jab, or whatever else you still have time for. You can also use it to quickly re-position yourself if you want to retreat and throw a couple fireballs at them after they try hitting you. its much quicker than a roll if you're trying to do that, and helps you to regain control of space very quickly after defending yourself.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
you can use it to make punishes if your opponent hits your shield with an attack that leaves you out of range to do a normal shield grab or nair OOS or whatever else. For instance, lets say the math attacks you with fsmash and hits your shield. At the time he hits you, you are way to far out of reach for a grab or any other realistic OOS punish. If you WD forward right after shield stun ends, however, you can put yourself right next to him and punish the end lag of his attack with grab, dsmash, jab, or whatever else you still have time for. You can also use it to quickly re-position yourself if you want to retreat and throw a couple fireballs at them after they try hitting you. its much quicker than a roll if you're trying to do that, and helps you to regain control of space very quickly after defending yourself.
Oh ok that makes a lot of sense. I usually spot dodge, but ill throw this in as well for a nice change up. Thanks!

GeZ

Smash Lord
I've actually talked with another player at length about this so I'll just copy paste over what was said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrMehh3pOOQ
This would be a good video to watch for Mario specific WDOOS punish stuff. It's against Samus, and primarily her F-Smash. Otherwise, Hugs plays a very aggressively-passive game of constantly pressuring from a distance. WDOOS is then used to avoid an attempt by moving away, and punishing it accordingly. This can mean either directly hitting the opponent when they miss the attack, or dashing towards > dashing away again/shielding/stalling/whatever, with the means of waiting for their reaction to missing their attack, and punishing THAT.

Against a Falcon for example, it plays out with the same concept, but can be applied differently due to the match-up. If you shield a Knee, and the Falcon is catching on to you WDOOSing a lot, and knows it's a good option from there if he spaced it in a way that you can't connect an aerial OOS etc, he may go for another aerial either in front or behind you (wherever he expects you to WD to), and you have to predict accordingly, or even just wait in your shield for a moment to wait for the SH so you know where it's safe to go, or WD on the spot and Grab him on his whiffed aerial wherever he may be landing.

I saw you post in the Bowser is OP thread, watch M2K's Shiek vs both Fox and Bowser and his application of WDOOS. It makes it VERY dangerous for Fox to attack in any form, while being in danger to a quick Dash Attack/Grab/Needles at that distance. If Fox doesn't Dash-Grab the appropriate, tedious distance, either predicting the Dash Forward > Shield or the WDOOS Backward that follows, he could get punished HARD for it. If Bowser attempts closing the gap, he has to commit a LOT due to his lack of speed, and in this case the WDOOS is simply a bait to force Bowser to commit while still being a threat from a baiting-falsely-defensive position.

Hope that helps!
WD backwards > grounded Fireball is legit, I'd go as far as saying that's a very advanced maneuver that only ever really starts to be abused when the Mario player is highly experienced and developed in play.
Thing about what it covers, from everything like SH Aerial approaches against you, to keeping you grounded and safe from fly-by attacks that would generally be a good way to punish Mario for Jumping > Fireball normally, etc. It doesn't seem like much on paper, or even feel like it's amounting to much, but think about when FACING someone doing that.
Mario WD's backward and throws a Fireball along the ground at you, and starts moving up from behind it... what do you do? Attempt Power-Shielding it? Try approach him so you don't lose Stage control, but by SHing over it at him as your only option? Try throwing a Fireball over that Fireball, at him, and somehow not landing on it while yours can simply bounce over if he positions well/moves close quickly?

Top Bottom