• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I bought a Japanese made cartridge

White Diesel

Smash Rookie
So I purchased a used cartridge on amazon, this was the title,

"Super Smash Bros Japanese Import set to English and to USA N64"

I'm new to the game so this will be the version of the game I will be learning on. My question is what are some of the differences I can expect to see when I go to a tourney and have to play on a North American version?

Is it a bad idea to learn on this version?

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_regional_version_differences_(SSB)

I'm very interested in that cart. If it's possible to modify cartridges, we could see actual ROM hacks. If you'd be willing to part with it, I'd be more than happy to get you an american version of the cart.

Edit: nevermind. It seems that all they did was replace the back of the cartridge. Unless more of it is English than normal, don't worry about it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The JU version is a different meta game entirely.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
The Japanese version of Smash 64 has a lot of English text. However, if you're going to attempt to be competitive outside of Japan you'll need a North American copy of the game.

I own both and modified my Japanese copy so it'll play on a North American Nintendo 64. Here they are side-by-side.

All I did was swap the back using the tool seen in the photo.

White Diesel

Smash Rookie
The Japanese version of Smash 64 has a lot of English text. However, if you're going to attempt to be competitive outside of Japan you'll need a North American copy of the game.

I own both and modified my Japanese copy so it'll play on a North American Nintendo 64. Here they are side-by-side.

All I did was swap the back using the tool seen in the photo.
Dang looks like I'll have to try and get my hands on a North American copy. Thanks for the post.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
you can learn on J, but you'd be better off on the american version since there certainly are differences

Top Bottom