• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I actually learned something from reading the manual!

Zurad

Smash Cadet
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=95855

I was reading up on that topic, and was curious to know if the game manual made any such mention of the moves that we believe were intended (such as L-cancel), so I gave it a read through...and actually learned something new

On page 14, it talks about the shield. It states that after using L or R to shield, you can tilt the control stick to shift the position of the shield.

I've never heard anyone make reference towards shifting the position of your shield ever.
Has anyone actually bothered to read the manual?

Or is this just common knowledge that everyone but I knew about?

Sorry, but I just thought it should be pointed out. Could be very useful for preventing opponents hits that you shielded against.

and yeah, if it's old, just lock it up

Fefnir Cerveau

Smash Lord
Not talked about much, but everyone knows it. It's not like it was a hidden technique like wavedashes and Lcanceling, which aren't glitches.
Tilting the shield can mess up the Lcanceling time of a drillshine of whatever at times.

Zurad

Smash Cadet
Ah, I figured it was nothing new. Just thought I would make sure though, since...no one ever made note of it's existance before, heh.

its rarely useful, if part of your body is exposed lightshielding to cover it up is easier
Eaiser, I can understand, but would it still be more effective if one just used a normal shield and tilted in the direction the attack was coming from? I rarely lightshield (a bad habit I should work on breaking), but from what I understand, doesn't the lightshield basically sacrafice strength for length?

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
Eh, that's already been discovered, just not likely used...

Mostly used: Against a Marth player who tries to edge grab with Up B... Just dodge roll towards the edge, put your shield up and tilt it down... When Marth Up B hits you, you fall down and edge hog and Marth just falls to his death...

Mehijunior

Smash Rookie
Moraga, CA. Any east bay players PM me! need oppon
The only time I can think that would be helpful is if you hold the shield down a lot/for extended periods of time and so it gets smaller, exposing various parts of your body to attack, so you tilt the shield so you can hold it down longer and still defend yourself. Though, I doubt anyone who plays the game regularly would ever use this simply because it is rather pointless.

quak

Smash Champion
Eaiser, I can understand, but would it still be more effective if one just used a normal shield and tilted in the direction the attack was coming from?
Easy was to get your sheild broken, by *******s who play falco (like me :grin:)

Top Bottom