• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hyrule's Handsomest Hero - Link Image Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589

Wii U

3DS

Gifs

Surprised this topic didn't already exist. Unless it did and I'm blind.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I really love how they designed Link to be close to Skyward Sword, yet gave it that feel of originality.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
That's his TP design, not SS.
The TP and SS designs are honestly very similar. The main difference between the two Link designs is the artstyle. Twilight Princess was a darker, grittier game with a more realistic look and Skyward Sword was an overall brighter, prettier game with a more stylized look which consisted of brighter palettes with an almost impressionist feel.

Seeing as SSB4 seems to be using an overall brighter color palette and is focusing less on detail than Brawl did, it's easy to see that Link resembles both his TP and SS designs.

Link has the gauntlet on his sword arm, he is left-handed and wields the gale boomerang, but he does look like both versions and, therefore, also completely different from both versions.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
This argument again? Even after the Gale Boomerang was shown? The specific boomerang that was only ever in Twilight Princess?

That's undeniably TP Link, brighter colours don't make him anything like SS Link, because every character in the game has brighter colours. Common sense.

I mean come on, no one is trying to say that Toon Link is suddenly a different Link because he now lacks detail and is brighter, why are people still denying Link?

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Seeing as SSB4 seems to be using an overall brighter color palette and is focusing less on detail than Brawl did
This should already tell you it's just TP Link in SSB4's artstyle. TP Link and SSB4 Link are exactly the same in terms of design.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
But the overall size of Link seems to have drastically changed in the Wii U version; both height and width-wise. I'm going on a limb and just stating that even though the palette gives the look of Skyward Sword Link, the Clawshot from the Sonic trailer should have been evidence enough to confirm it's TP's design with a brighter color.

(Seriously, you can't mistake the beige Clawshot with anything else. It was obvious in the trailer for Sonic.)

Aside from that topic, is it me or does anyone else think the sword is larger than Brawl?

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
That's undeniably TP Link, brighter colours don't make him anything like SS Link
Yes, yes, they do. They don't make him SS Link, but they make him like SS Link.

I mean come on, no one is trying to say that Toon Link is suddenly a different Link because he now lacks detail and is brighter, why are people still denying Link?
Did you even read my post? I didn't say he was SS, I said he was more like a combination of both. Also, Toon Link more closely resembles WWHD. Although, Brawl's Toon Link model didn't really look much like WW in terms of tunic details and coloring.

TP Link and SSB4 Link are exactly the same in terms of design.
Do you have any idea what "exactly" means?

I said he resembled both, not that Link wasn't in his TP design. It 's mostly TP, with some SS mixed in. If you want to delude yourselves, go ahead, but at least note the motion blurs on his sword attacks. Undeniable SS influence.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Yes, yes, they do. They don't make him SS Link, but they make him like SS Link.

Did you even read my post? I didn't say he was SS, I said he was more like a combination of both.
Well you see the problem here is that he isn't SS inspired at all. Brighter colours? Again, Mario isn't a new character now because he's brighter.
Saying that Link is inspired by SS Link because of his colour scheme is like saying I'm a different person when I put on a new shirt.
They didn't design him with any intentions of having him be SS related, otherwise he wouldn't have all of TP Link's tools.
And motion blurs on his attacks? Again, like everyone in the game? I guess Pikachu is SS based too.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well you see the problem here is that he isn't SS inspired at all. Brighter colours? Again, Mario isn't a new character now because he's brighter.
Saying that Link is inspired by SS Link because of his colour scheme is like saying I'm a different person when I put on a new shirt.
They didn't design him with any intentions of having him be SS related, otherwise he wouldn't have all of TP Link's tools.
And motion blurs on his attacks? Again, like everyone in the game? I guess Pikachu is SS based too.
...I said his motion blurs were influenced by SS. Not him. I said the brighter color palette makes him look like SS, not that makes him SS. Not that it makes him inspired by SS. Just that it makes him look somewhat like SS Link.

I'm fully aware every characters has motion blurs. I'm also fully aware that there motion blurs are brighter, but Link's looks different. Even from Marth and Toon Link.

Since you can't seem to look on your own, here's a few screens:

A Mario motion blur:

As you can see, white motion blurs.

A Marth motion blur:

The motion blurs here extenuate the tip of his sword.

A Toon Link Motion Blur:

Link motion blurs as compared to Skyward Sword:

Link Motion blurs as compared to Marth:

Link motion blurs as compared to Toon Link:

Can you point out the picture of Pikachu's motion blurs the look like SS sword motion blurs you were talking about?

And for one last time, since you can't seem to understand what I'm saying, I think that the brighter color palette makes him look a bit like SS Link. Not that he was inspired by SS Link. Not that he is SS Link.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am trying to fall in love with his new design, but it really isn't new enough to fall in love with. I hated his Brawl design, and I suppose I will retain that disdain.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Do you have any idea what "exactly" means?
Yes, and it's true. Other than the color, they're the exact same.

I said he resembled both, not that Link wasn't in his TP design. It 's mostly TP, with some SS mixed in. If you want to delude yourselves, go ahead, but at least note the motion blurs on his sword attacks. Undeniable SS influence.
Ah, well then you're right about that. The motion blurs are a bit like SS.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I agree about the SS-influences on Link, yet I also agree on his influences from TP, as well. To each their own opinions, right? Unless Sakurai confirms Link is either based on Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess, at least.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
I'm quite suspicious that Link is actually based on his upcoming appearance in the next Zelda game. It's possible that concept art of his next design was given to Sakurai to use. I could be wrong but I hope it's what he looks like in the next game because I really like the design.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
I'd rather have a completely new design. We've had that same design twice already.

ibmutt

Smash Cadet
If Link jumps, he's grounded for 4 frames before he's airborne. This is demonstrated in the pictures below. He's grounded for 7 frames in both SSB and SSBB. In SSBM, he's grounded for 6 frames.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I am starting to come around to this new design. It just makes him look much older than he is supposed to be, it isn't too relevant, but maybe he is going to be older in Zelda Wii U.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
If Link jumps, he's grounded for 4 frames before he's airborne. This is demonstrated in the pictures below. He's grounded for 7 frames in both SSB and SSBB. In SSBM, he's grounded for 6 frames.

I guess that's a good buff.

ibmutt

Smash Cadet

I guess that's a good buff.
My frame analysis was wrong. I checked the fps for the video on 4 separate programs and frame rate is 29.97 for each except the video editor I used which said 60 fps. Apparently, Youtube doesn't even support 60 fps yet. This means for example, the 2nd picture is actually 2 frames after the 1st instead of 1. My method involves frame counting so the game needs to be recorded at 60/59.94 fps. My method worked fine for the SSBB videos because I personally recorded then at 59.94 fps. I could still show you the method. But I would understand if you didn't trust me. Sorry for wasting you and anyone else's time.

Last edited:

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
My frame analysis was wrong. I checked the fps for the video on 4 separate programs and frame rate is 29.97 for each except the video editor I used which said 60 fps. Apparently, Youtube doesn't even support 60 fps yet. This means for example, the 2nd picture is actually 2 frames after the 1st instead of 1. My method involves frame counting so the game needs to be recorded at 60/59.94 fps. My method worked fine for the SSBB videos because I personally recorded then at 59.94 fps. I could still show you the method. But I would understand if you didn't trust me. Sorry for wasting you and anyone else's time.
I was wondering if you had taken You Tube's frame rate into account. Don't be so hard on yourself it's of no consequence.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I'm quite suspicious that Link is actually based on his upcoming appearance in the next Zelda game. It's possible that concept art of his next design was given to Sakurai to use. I could be wrong but I hope it's what he looks like in the next game because I really like the design.
Nope. But there's a slight chance it may be a grown up Zelda U Link. Otherwise it really is just TP Link.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I think Link looks amazing in this game. He's turning out really well from what I've seen as well.

OreoReaper

Smash Rookie
NNID
AeonClash
3DS FC
0259-0682-0219
I really like the design of Smash 4 Link. I wonder if he'll be getting any special costumes like Zamus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom