• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hyper Bomb "can" be viable against rush down charachters

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
I was fooling around with megaman's customs, and I remembered how jank hyper bomb's trajectory is. it is a strange custom, but looks fun, so I tested out its viableness and went to training mode with a lvl 9 zero suit samus.

I got surprising results.

zss could not approach me without getting hit by hyper bomb. zss is pretty much a rush down character and you know how rush down charachters are always getting up in your face. hyper bomb actually wants rush down charachters to be in your face.

crazy right?

wat you do is you throw hyperbomb in the downward direction while jumping,making it be an active hitbox in front of you. and for some reason, hyper bomb lets you fall in the direction you want as you fall, making you have an active hitbox while falling. for zss to do anything rush down, they have to get up in your face and wats waiting for them? its an explosion and a follow up :)

this kinda gives megaman an option to rush your opponent down lol. i'm joking. well. kinda. xD

(this is just one of the techs of hyper bomb, there's more and if you guys want visual representation, check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFabmNf9Pxs) (this isn't me btw)

when you compare hyperbomb to metalblade, lots of ppl will make arguments for metalblade utility over hyperbomb. of course, i'll be one of the ppl to side for metalblade too, but i found out hyperbomb can work alot like metalblade, its just a case of directional input.

hyper bomb can be used like metalblade to go in, but you just got to throw hyperbomb in the diagonal downward direction facing your opponent. i know its got a wonky trajectory, throwing it the neutral b, but the neutral b is meant to hit opponent that are farther away. the downward diagonal hyper bomb is meant to be thrown at an opponent at mid range. kinda like how you throw metalblade at an opponent midrange, then go in.

hyper bomb thrown at netural b is as mentioned above meant to be thrown at opponents at far range. its pretty much like throwing metal blade at a far range.

and hyper bomb thrown at downward b is meant to hit your opponent at close range. this is where rush down charrachters have to respect its hitbox

another utility is that hyper bomb gives megaman a good neutral air attack. by throwing hyper bomb downwards while jumping, the bomb will be hovering over you, kinda like how characters have an active hitbox in front of them. hyper bomb does this, and it gives you sweet mixups, because you'll be landing while there's an active hitbox in front of you. hyper bomb helps do what metal blade can't in this situation. metal blade can't be an active hitbox in front of you, while hyper bomb can.

sweet spot lemons can be used like a neutral a, but sometimes we dont always get sweet spot lemons, and we can get punished. hyper bomb solves that.

i know alot of ppl use metalblade as megaman's standard b move, and i'm not saying hyper bomb is better than metalblade, and i would actually prefer metalblade in some matchups. but i'd like you guys to be openminded about how viable hyper bomb can be to megaman's metagame and wat usefulness can hyperbomb bring to certain matchups.

P.S. what ive noticed something hilarious with the cpu is that when i throw hyperbomb upwards while jumping, and its a floating hitbox, the cpu spaces me then tries to approach me, only to be hit by my charged shot. hyper bomb lets you cancel your landing lag very much like metalblade can cancel landing lag. this allows you to use follow up moves like charged shot

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Not gonna lie, I feel honored that my video is posted in this thread. :D

Cool, I'm not the only one who noticed the downward forward throw. I was exploring that a bit the other day since it is a neat mid range projectile that stays closer to the ground, hitting taller standing opponents. I wasn't convinced it was awesome enough to add to my Hyper Bomb thread though. (In case you'd like to add more to that thread/ read it: http://smashboards.com/threads/bomb-mans-demo-get-it.392095/) But, I'll definitely play with it more now since someone else noticed it!

And yes, VERY YES, I love using Hyper Bomb against rush down characters. It forces them to respect your space when they dash. Mind gamessss!

Last edited:
Top Bottom