• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hungrybox has corrupted me

S

Somaiah

My playstyle with Jiggs has been through monkey-see, monkey-do tactics, and naturally aside from the occasional clips of Mahone, H-Box has dominated my Jiggly-Youtube-Smash experience. My Jiggles is pretty respectable, don't get me wrong, but my style is plagued by aerials and u-tilts. I mix up stuff a bit, but my style is basically H-boxed. What do I do to mix things up?

PS: <33Hungieboo

S

Somaiah

I have watched Mango's Puff, but like I don't especially like the choices that he makes in some situations. Like instead of doing hard tech reads with Fsmash, I'd rather use empty short hops to allow me to react. I like a playstyle that limits my opponent more than myself, and I find that positional advantage with Puff is more powerful than the aggression that Mango plays with.

And not to say that King's Puff is irrelevant, I try to learn from recent footage to keep up with the current metagame and strategies, and Mango and HBox have been those players.

Massive

Smash Champion
I would not rely on mangopuff for any sort of instruction. His intrinsic knowledge of game mechanics and reading people means that what he does is not something you can learn by just watching him. Additionally, he doesn't really do anything I would consider trademark mango other than be very aggressive (because he can). He generally just uses whatever he deems to be an effective move in the situation and it works.

Honestly, if you want to develop your own style, you need to stop watching other people play and figure out what works for you. Be pragmatic about it: try out new approaches, cross train with other characters to get a new perspective, nair more, wavedash more, try jabbing and dtilting people, there's still a lot of territory to cover.

Keep in mind that while HBox has developed a (very) successful style of play, it is most definitely not the only effective one. Dominant players do not get to the top by solely copying others, they all have to innovate and redefine the character in their own way.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
I always tend to recommend old Mango footage or watching some footage of DBR's The King who (in my eyes) is the best Jiggs of all time.

Top Bottom