• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How you can utilize full hop arrowing to your game.

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
As a Pit main, I go out of my way to analyze other competitive Pit players in order to gradually improve my game. Though there are not many we'll known ones out there, I began to notice something I've incorporated into my game that the Pits I've witnessed so far haven't. Perhaps it's because of the medium risk the players might take while utilizing it, or perhaps it could be labeled as "situational". Regardless, I'm going to tell you how you can possibly incorporate this particular strategy to your Pit game.

Now, as the title of the thread implies, I am indeed talking about full-hop arrowing. Upon first glance, it doesn't sound very reliable, does it? Well, allow me to explain.

First of all, a full hop arrow is pretty self-explanatory. It's not difficult to iniate at all. Simply input a full hop, pull out your bow upon ascending, shoot it while at the peak of Pit's hop, and slightly angle it downwards towards your opponenent. If done correctly, you'll notice that Pit has absolutely no landing lag aside from simply short hopping an arrow, and will land roughly at the sametime of the arrows collision.

What exactly does this mean for you? What are its applications?

Well, this provides you with a few reliable and efficient follow-ups. Most Pit players don't notice this, because their arrows are mostly utilized as camping tools, or edge guarding antics, but the arrow's collision provides quite a bit of hit stun, enough for you to throw out a dash attack, grapple, or even another arrow as soon as you land.

The move has also proven to be a reliable approach and retreating option for me. By iniating a full hop at a slight angle by taping the control stick up at an angle left or right, depending if you're approaching or retreating, you can still fire and angle the arrow downwards with no landing lag afterwards. This allows you to either reset, or go in for one of the said follow ups.

I also consider this to cover a lot of options as well. I've noticed quite a bit of players are hesitant to approach Pit due to his accurate pivoting game and immense knock-back, so for those who distance themselves a majority of the time are highly vulnerable to this strategy.

The retreating arrow is perfect for aggressive and physical opponents, and are usually unsuspecting of the sudden leap back and arrow pelting them from the skies above as they're attempting to run you down.

Be careful though, if your jump is too short, you'll activate the landing lag, and if you jump way too high, you won't be able to capitalize on the arrow's hit stun. Measure your hops accordingly.

The risk is minimal, and holds great reward if done correctly. Standing back and shooting an arrow is great and all, but being able to follow up afterwards can really step up your game.

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
Do you recommend only using this at a comfortable distance from your opponent I assume?

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
Sounds interesting, think you could make a video of you using it properly? I like to watch someone else so I can know if I'm doing it right.

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
Precisely. Ounce you've practiced and used it enough, you somewhat instinctually know what distance it's a good idea to utilize, and when it's not. It's a really good retreating tactic though, because it allows you to draw back when you're getting run down, get the arrow in, land, and go right back in and capitalize on the provided hit stun.

Not to mention, if your opponent tries to punish your landing after the arrow, the lack of landing lag will allow you to take the defensive action without wait.

Sounds interesting, think you could make a video of you using it properly? I like to watch someone else so I can know if I'm doing it right.
Of course, I can probably get some footage in before the week is over.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aGC9TAHxj3g

This was a 3ds friendly I had at Forte at UT. I'll have A wii u Demonstration up this weekend, but 0:37 is a good example of it done correctly. There was a small second jump inputed there, but a full hop works the same exact way. There was also a moment In the match where The arrow missed Gasu and he attempted to punish, however due to the lack of landing lag, I was able to defend against his dash attack.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet

This was a 3ds friendly I had at Forte at UT. I'll have A wii u Demonstration up this weekend, but 0:37 is a good example of it done correctly. There was a small second jump inputed there, but a full hop works the same exact way. There was also a moment In the match where The arrow missed Gasu and he attempted to punish, however due to the lack of landing lag, I was able to defend against his dash attack.
Awesome, thanks. Some great Pit playing all around, really makes me want to go practice!

Makorel

Smash Apprentice
I feel like this would be really good with control arrows.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Precisely. Ounce you've practiced and used it enough, you somewhat instinctually know what distance it's a good idea to utilize, and when it's not. It's a really good retreating tactic though, because it allows you to draw back when you're getting run down, get the arrow in, land, and go right back in and capitalize on the provided hit stun.

Not to mention, if your opponent tries to punish your landing after the arrow, the lack of landing lag will allow you to take the defensive action without wait.

Of course, I can probably get some footage in before the week is over.

In the future, please don't double or triple post; instead, use the edit button.

Top Bottom