• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would I go about Edgeguarding?

Rampage

vx
O.k, so I've been able to edge guard with sonics Dair -> Jump Cancel -> Spring
for a while now and It's worked out pretty well. But just recently my buddy has been playing metaknight/Pit. How do I edge guard them? I made a really awesome kill Where I Sprung up and Dair to ledge grab. But I've only been able to do it once or twice.

Have you any of you come up with a good move to take out the multiple jump characters?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
You can actually just stand on the edge and wait for Pit/Metaknight to come. Sonic's forward smash will hit things that are surprisingly low if you space it right (fist over the edge) so multi jumpers will often get caught in it.

If they are making sure to sweet spot from under the edge, running off the edge and fair/bair-ing will work (bair them into the side of the stage and let them bounce off to their doom).

The homing attack will work fairly well against certain characters, as will the up-b (the spring falls and hits them).

And for Pit specifically, hitting him with anything after he initiates his up b will pretty much guarantee you a kill since he can't up-b again.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
I've found homing attack off the edge to be surprisingly effective against Metaknight, but if MK up-b's early, you may end up having the homing attack out-prioritized. Not sure on that though.

Pit gives me a major headache, but fortunately, he suffers from some of the same problems as Sonic. Most of the time, I end up getting a lucky f-smash against him. Fairs also seem to work pretty well, as does spring-dropping on him after he starts his up-b.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
You know what's freaking cool? Against Pit. If he is side-Bing you can stutter step the F-smash right through his spinny blades of doom. I got 2 kills with it in 1 match.

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
You know what's freaking cool? Against Pit. If he is side-Bing you can stutter step the F-smash right through his spinny blades of doom. I got 2 kills with it in 1 match.
Really? Can you do this when you're caught in the middle of it? Because I have a friend who likes to play Pit and loves to spam this whenever I spin dash towards him.

Or does this only work if you're in front of Pit without the Side+B hitting you?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Without it hitting you. In fact if you are too close when you start it you'll get caught in it. So yeah. Spacing is important.

Spacing important for Sonic. Who would have thought?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Terios, just so we're clear, do you have to stutter step to get it to work? It seems to me that normal forward smashing would give the same result, and the spacing is just a mind game issue.

Oh and Rampage, one more thing: if you want to spring->dair->edge-grab more consistently, just remember that if you do a short back jump and spring and dair asap you will have the correct distance to grab the ledge.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Um.... I didn't think it would so I didn't test it....

And I don't have a second person here to test it right now. I figured stutter stepping just disjointed your hitbox a little or something.

Now that I see it written down that just sounds stupid. I need to get some sleep.

rushdown

Smash Rookie
When you guys say dair with edge grab, do you mean Sonic flying towards the end of the stage from the inside, or Sonic kicking towards the stage from the outside?

/___ or \ ___

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
He can do either from the right height, but I was trying to do it from the inside and it's just plain suicidal. 9/10 the other guy will grab the ledge before you and you will plummet to your death, and if you get the ledge first you'll never hit him so it's pointless to risk it.

However, it is useful to dair from the outside if you're gimping with the spring because you can quickly edge hog and prevent them from getting back. Of course, this still carries the risk of plummeting to your death should you not get to the ledge before your enemy or space/time it incorrectly, but I think that usually you can tell when that would be a risk and simply dair back onto the stage and use the lagless land to prepare your next attack.

Ultimately, I think you SHOULD dair from a spring whenever you can because it keeps up that high-pressure play mentality by cutting out useless air time and keeping your opponent in a reactionary frame of mind.

Top Bottom