• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How well does the Wii VC version work on Wii U?

Retrotator

Smash Cadet
Smash 64 is one of my most favorite games ever, but I didn't get the Virtual Console version yet, because I still play my N64 often. Now that I use an HDTV and a HORI Battle Pad controller, I'm thinking about finally getting the VC version. The only problem I have heard about it so far is that the VC version drops frames. Since I mostly play casually I'm not sure how much I would notice TV lag or frame drops, but I'm hoping that I'll get to enjoy the game at its best.

Are the Virtual Console frame drops a bigger problem than common TV lag?
Could the VC frame drops possibly be less of an issue on Wii U since the Wii U is more powerful than the original Wii?

tehz

Smash Apprentice
If you're just playing causally for some nostalgia, I'm sure the VC version will be fine. TV lag from plugging an N64 into an HDTV is way worse.

I don't think that there should be any differences between playing VC64 on the Wii vs playing VC64 on the Wii Mode on a WiiU, but I've never tried, so idk. No one really wants to use Wii classic controllers anyways, so it's kind of a moot point.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I love playing Super Smash Bros. on my original Wii via the Virtual Console. I'm sure it'd be the same on the Wii U except you can't use the GameCube controller. Here's my video review showing SSB(N64) running on my backwards compatible Wii on my LCD HDTV.

Last edited:

Retrotator

Smash Cadet
Thanks guys!
I finally got the Virtual Console version, and it looks awesome in 480p.
To me, it played great once I adjusted to using a different controller. The controllers I use are the PDP Fight Pad and the HORI Battle Pad since they have a similar layout to the GameCube controller. I think the control stick is slightly less sensitive in Smash 64 than it is in Brawl and Smash 4 though.

Top Bottom