• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to short hop and shoot lemons at the same time?

DeaDea

Smash Cadet
I'm struggling to walk forward, shoot one or lemons and short hop while shooting out the second or third lemon. How do you guys do this? I started assigning jump to L shoulder button so I can easily tap A and jump but short hopping with L is hard.

Also just in general shorthopping and shooting lemons while moving back and fourth so quickly/frequently/accurately?

Do you guys just use A and X/Y and practice lots? How does Scatt do it so well? (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBfxJi71n8)

Last edited:

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
You have to tap the jump and press a at the same time I kinda press both at the same time and it works. Just takes some practice and it'll come naturally after a while.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I do the opposite of what you do. Map A attacks to L shoulder and jump to a face button. (Well, I also have A attacks on a face button too, of course).

It's easier this way because modulating between short hop and full hop using a shoulder button is hard, whereas you don't need to be nearly as precise when using a shoulder button to attack

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
I use Classic Controller with jump on B and Attack on Y. You might have luck on GC controller with Jump on A and Attack on Y.

I use the tip of my thumb to attack and the middle of my thumb to jump. I don't need to move my thumb at all to do both at any time. It may take a few weeks to get used to it, then more weeks to master it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHf4mW_WULQ

Last edited:

quepasacontigo

Smash Rookie
I use R to jump. It took me a while to be able to shop hop consistently since i guess its harder to do a light press with the index finger. But after some practice it's ok. I want to believe its more optimal to have the right thumb free to do quick aireals.
But i'm quite a ****ty player so yeah.

Name suggestion to the annoying pebble shooting with short hops and tilts back and forth: Lemon dancing :)

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
I can't recommend the following set up enough for GC

L - shield
R - jump - not used too much, mostly for retreating aerials with cstick
Z - attack, only used with cstick for uptoss super glide and with special for A+B forward glide toss

***A - jump
B - attack
Y - special
X - grab
Cstick - smash

It took some practice, but jump set to A is great on megaman. You can slide thumb easily back and forth from A to B for lemon techs, as well as metal blade grabbing rising aerials. You can also slide from jump to both special as well as grab. I found doing techs with a sliding finger press has made it easy to muscle memory some pretty difficult button combinations involving zdrops and jump cancels.

I hate the R and z buttons on GC, so I rarely use those out of preference.

So, to do short hop style lemons you can while on ground slide finger from B to A then immediately hit direction you wanna go.

Last edited:

DeaDea

Smash Cadet
Cheers for response everyone. I tried some of the options and while I'm sure a lot of them work well, I couldn't get used to it.

I just went into the lab and practised pressing a, a -> y (shorthop) -> a and a -> y (shorthop) -> a, a and now I can do it pretty consistently while moving forward and backwards too. The upside of this is I have been using y for short hopping for a whole year so I'm well practised in that!

One thing I did do though was swap out z and x (z is now jump, x is grab). X being grab has no disadvantages, and having z as jump means I can easily shorthop backwards/forwards while throwing out a c-stick aerial instantly. I use L (or Z) for throwing aerials instantly out of full hops. I couldn't get down spamming lemons while short hopping with the Z button as my right hand just doesn't seem to have the coordination to gently press Z for a short hop while spamming A - perhaps that will come to me in a couple of weeks though!

I also tried setting L to attack, but I really didn't like having to spam the chunky L button so much and as it tired me out much more than just spamming the A button.

SanAntonioSmasher - that is an extremely interesting set up! Don't think I would have the time to get used to such a different set up like that though! How do you deal with C-Stick messing up aerial momentum if its set to smash?

Last edited:

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Cheers for response everyone. I tried some of the options and while I'm sure a lot of them work well, I couldn't get used to it.

I just went into the lab and practised pressing a, a -> y (shorthop) -> a and a -> y (shorthop) -> a, a and now I can do it pretty consistently while moving forward and backwards too. The upside of this is I have been using y for short hopping for a whole year so I'm well practised in that!

One thing I did do though was swap out z and x (z is now jump, x is grab). X being grab has no disadvantages, and having z as jump means I can easily shorthop backwards/forwards while throwing out a c-stick aerial instantly. I use L (or Z) for throwing aerials instantly out of full hops. I couldn't get down spamming lemons while short hopping with the Z button as my right hand just doesn't seem to have the coordination to gently press Z for a short hop while spamming A - perhaps that will come to me in a couple of weeks though!

I also tried setting L to attack, but I really didn't like having to spam the chunky L button so much and as it tired me out much more than just spamming the A button.

SanAntonioSmasher - that is an extremely interesting set up! Don't think I would have the time to get used to such a different set up like that though! How do you deal with C-Stick messing up aerial momentum if its set to smash?
Surprisingly it just took like 1-2 hours in training mode to get used to this set up. It's jarring at first, but I think you'd be surprised how quick the brain can remap things. I just hit cstick quickly to minimize the momentum stall. I had it to attack for a long time, but missed having an easy super glide toss and easy pivot forward smashes. Still not sure which is best honestly.

Poopybutthole

Smash Cadet
Just play with whatever you feel bro, not really a best control scheme since in the end it's all personal preference. I used to play with X on Grab but recently switched it back to Jump and my Mega Man movement has personally improved a lot for me and now I alternate between Y / X Jump (I really need to use my L button more for jumping though). Other than that my settings are pretty standard, I still haven't fully adapted to Z Grab but it's not as big as of a issue for me anymore.

DeaDea

Smash Cadet
I actually started playing with L set to attack and z/y to jump....and it definitely allows better movement with lemons. There is just no way to effectively short hop while shooting lemons with just y/x jump and A attack.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
All I ever did to do shorthop lemons is slide my finger from A to X. Never thought about a new control scheme for it.. sounds promising!

Top Bottom