• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to send Olimar back into space?

sLicK.tdf

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone give me some advice on how to deal with Olimar and his Pikman.

How do you remove pikman without putting yourself at risk?
How do you approach Olimar without eating a pikman in the face?
Best moves to use vs Olimar?

boom-man97

Smash Journeyman
i would imagine that mach tornado would be a good approch like always but i dont have any experiance so its just speculative

Pi

Smash Hero
i would imagine that mach tornado would be a good approch like always but i dont have any experiance so its just speculative
It is. It eats up pikmin...

My friend plays a...I don't wanna say good MK, but his Mach Tornado is...broken. We tried all kinds of things to break through it, pikmin were not one of the ones that worked.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
Dont go telling people to spam any thing with Meta Knight! You'll give birth to a monstrous wifi dousch bag who uses the same moves over and over.

As for the question... try to use spacing and very fast follow up why? Even if you use the mach tornado it wouldn't be as effective if the pikmin are right next to Olimar and aren't effected. It's now however that the pikmin can be killed if they were either thrown, used as an attack, or is separated from Olimar. So try using spacing techniques in attempts to separate Olimar from his pikmin (they follow him eventually but their is a short period of time where they stay in the same place and then follows Olimar in the direction he was blown to.) That is when you use you fast attacks to take out the pikmin. Most likely the fair, reversed bair, nair, mach tornado, d- smash could take some of the pikmin out while the f -smash might be a little slow. Keep in mind that when Olimar uses his FS he is separated from his Pikmin, and they would be standing in one place so its the perfect chance to take them all out at once.

For an additional tip after you can take out the Pikmin while the Olimar's FS is going on before and after when the rocket lands. After because after the impact Olimar slowly falls down since he is a floaty character. If you think you dont have enough time to kill all of them juggle Olimar so he cant reach the ground since none of the pikmin will follow him until he touches the ground

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
I play against an amazing olly quite often, the best thing to do against him is to keep pressuring him so he doesnt' get much chance to use those nasty little critters. olly is also easily gimped so if u manage to get him off the stage take advantage of it . the best way i've found to approach him is SH dodging and doing SH dairs
hope this helps

Sino

Smash Journeyman
I also have a problem with olimar, i cant aproach them either. They always throwing pikmin's at me., and when i am close they grab me with their great grabrange.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
I also have a problem with olimar, i cant aproach them either. They always throwing pikmin's at me., and when i am close they grab me with their great grabrange.
Approaching is a simple problem, merely glide at a certain height. The draw backs to Olimar's long ranged grab (keep it mind it's range increases if there is a flower on the pikmin's head) is that they have limited verticle grab range boxes. As for the pikmin throws do not worry since it will most likely not hit you if you fly the height just a bit more above his helmet. (unless it was a yellow pikmin) Once you get close enough do the swift sword slash while gliding to do considerably good knock back on Olimar.

Prax

Smash Journeyman
Approaching is a simple problem, merely glide at a certain height. The draw backs to Olimar's long ranged grab (keep it mind it's range increases if there is a flower on the pikmin's head) is that they have limited verticle grab range boxes. As for the pikmin throws do not worry since it will most likely not hit you if you fly the height just a bit more above his helmet. (unless it was a yellow pikmin) Once you get close enough do the swift sword slash while gliding to do considerably good knock back on Olimar.
If you do that, couldn't they just jump and throw their pikmen? Also, if you glide towards them like that and try a slash in their face, they can just shieldgrab you.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
If you do that, couldn't they just jump and throw their pikmen? Also, if you glide towards them like that and try a slash in their face, they can just shieldgrab you.
Counter point:

In order to hit you with a pikmin from that height the Olimar user is forced to SH in hopes to hit you with a pikmin unless your hit by a purple pikmin you suffer 0 knockback and you will continue your desired path and then follow with an glide slash which is Meta Knight's 3-5 best attack in the terms of knock back and not only to hit Olimar with a pretty good attack but also can kill whatever pikmin he threw at you. (sure it might give you2-4% damage plan but in the terms of buisness you win at the end of the trade) Since he just threw a pikmin at you via a short hop he cant follow up with a fair or air dodge since he is forced to wait out until his pikmin throw animation to end. By then you should be at the point where at least his deceptive range hits Olimar.

As for the shield grab topic as I said unless your very close to the ground it wont touch you. Even if you go very close he will shield himself (hypothetically) on time but within that time and how close Meta Knight should be (right around the helmet in height of glide) he will impact the shield causing the shield to have the "perfect shield" effect but there will be a shield hit stun and during that small lag time you will find yourself behind Olimar so you cant be countered by his shield grab. (It only has grab boxes in the direction he is facing where the pikmin moves) After here you have you options during this small time where you have a small advantage. preferrably something that hits behind Meta Knight like a SH bair or a reverse grab (still unsure how that works) or d- smash if your lucky enough

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
Like they said, the tornado eats 'em up.

Also, your f-tilt is a good one for approaching. Works on my bro relatively often, and he plays a mean olimar. Also, if you're SHing your way toward him, spamming f-airs can save you as well. It slices them pikmin up like no tomorrow, as well as scoring multiple hits if you hit olimar himself.

And also, doing a dash>sidestep>grab is another good one that I do. Most people don't expect that one with Metaknight.

The problem is though, is Olimar is beast at close-range. That's why you have to use the tip of your attacks to keep him at bay.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
Tip or deceptive range works too... in this situation too.

And yeah I agree with Marthmaster's plan works very well since how I picture it the dash then the side step call still give Meta the sliding fx thus bringing him closer to Olimar yet but my only concern is that this technique works best from close to medium range and there is always the chance of olimar throwing the longer ranged white pikmin.

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
And yeah I agree with Marthmaster's plan works very well since how I picture it the dash then the side step call still give Meta the sliding fx thus bringing him closer to Olimar yet but my only concern is that this technique works best from close to medium range and there is always the chance of olimar throwing the longer ranged white pikmin.
Medium range is about right. The thing is though, Metaknight has a pretty decent dash, so when combined with the sidestep, *if you time it right* when they throw the pikmin it'll whiff as you sidestep. that's another technique I use, as well. When my bro is busy throwing pikmin at me, i'll either do a roll towards him, then a f-tilt, or just do Metaknight's over-b, and just drill right through the pikmin and into olimar. Also, if you do that, curve it upwards to send him flying back a short distance, just so you can position your landing safely. :)

It's tricky, but it just requires timing and split-second thinking. If they don't have too many pikmin, sometimes it's best to take the slightly more barbaric approach, and just let them throw them on you, so you can get to them and combo Olimar. As brutal as it is, that's saved me before. They don't expect you to just charge through and attack them head-on, as that's not the normal strategy against an Olimar.

That's the biggest part of playing Metaknight vs Olimar, you have to keep Olimar constantly guessing as to what you'll do next. Just one whiff is all you need to combo him off the edge, and then off the screen.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
Thats very true and the Nair in this case is particularly useful (it can also potentially hit twice and kill pikmin) but I always seem to catch my friend off guard with my grabs/ chain grabs... Chain grabbing my friend's Olimar is really tough its not that I suck (I can chain grab his other characters) but its that he is so floaty that my friend can avoid the chain...

But that is aside from the topic. I usually win against my friend too and his FS barely gets me too. Thanks to his multi jump and selectable speed of glide I always laugh when the FS End of The Day does absolutely nothing.

Sometimes he meteors me with the initial rocket but then since he is forced leave his pikmin where he uses it he loses all his pikmin and that where the but kicking begins

Top Bottom