• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to reliably rack up percent in neutral game? Safe approach options to raise %?

Bowgamer

Smash Rookie
I know that Ryu has very strong kill moves with tons of different options and setups but what are the best methods of reaching those higher percents? I usually struggle in the neutral game versus anybody that zones me off and I find it extremely difficult to get safe approaches with Ryu. This is especially true vs characters that simply cancel out the neutral game such as Rosalina, Luigi, Ness, Mario, Sheik, and even Zero Suit.

Last edited:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Well throwing out a hadoken, at safe ranges helps to try to get closer to your opponent. Tatsu eats projectile, and has some weird shield property it seems(?). Although it is unsafe on shield if you do it to close it's moderately safe if you do it at the end of the move, where it's at it's strongest. Focus attack dash cancel is great as it lets you take a hit and either dash in or away from the opponent.

Ryu can combo his specials from weak Utilt, Strong Utilt, weak Down tilt, Strong Downtilt, and jab 1. This means you can make yourself safer by cancelling moves with specials. Although I would try out all the moves to see what works best with what situation. This also means when you do catch up to your opponent you can do some solid damage from basic hits.

Ryu also has an amazing Fair and Nair. if you get the sourspots of Fair an Nair depending on percentages you could combo into things such as Usmash, Shoryuken, Another fair, Dair, Dsmash, Fsmash. All of these combos do 18+ damage and decent knockback.

Strong Ftilt is good for pressuring opponents who shield too much, even if it doesn't break their shield they have to fear it now. That will let you punish shields much better.

Usmash on shields is safe on most characters, the knockback is too much for most of the cast. Dsmash is a fast smash option that is only safe when you hit the tip of the attack so don't throw it out without thinking about spacing. Side smash is one of Ryu's unsafer smashes but if your opponent is rolling around a solid SSmash will connect.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Try to master shield running and perfect shield. If you're capable of dashing and perfect shielding the projectiles then running again you should have no problem. It is hard, but perfect shielding everything goes a long way vs projectile happy chars.

Top Bottom