• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to punish as zero suit samus?

pikanag

Smash Rookie
I have been having trouble punishing people as zero suit. Specifically people who roll a lot. Also what can I do if I use my down b, but they shield it?

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
A properly timed dash attack from ZSS is an incredibly good roll punishing tool due to how quickly it travels and how far it travels. You can also use side-B or grab if they're close enough for you to land them in time. If they roll right next to you, you can even use down-smash or up-B.
As for down-B, if they shield it then you need to get away from them - try either aiming for a platform or the edge of the stage. Ideally, you wouldn't use down-B in a situation where it's easy for them to shield it. :)

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
A properly timed dash attack from ZSS is an incredibly good roll punishing tool due to how quickly it travels and how far it travels. You can also use side-B or grab if they're close enough for you to land them in time. If they roll right next to you, you can even use down-smash or up-B.
As for down-B, if they shield it then you need to get away from them - try either aiming for a platform or the edge of the stage. Ideally, you wouldn't use down-B in a situation where it's easy for them to shield it. :)
Pretty much this, but you really don't want to miss your up-B. Down B is not suited as a punish because of the long startup time.
If you Down B and they shield, leave the kick out to travel further away and to have less landing lag or try not to land on them at all.
My favourite punishes are dsmash if they roll into me and grab if they roll away.
I prefer to use side b as zoning tool if they hug me too much. I use it pretty often after a shielded non-kick down B.

check_mate

Smash Rookie
I use ftilt, grab, and side+b to punish people who roll a lot. Grab and side+b has to be well spaced/timed, and therefore I only use it when it is mid-range and they can't roll behind me to punish the lag if I miss. I use ftilt when they are close range as it doesn't have as much lag as her other moves, and I can quickly turn around and tilt in the other direction if they roll behind me.

If they shield my down+b, I usually get punished for trying to follow up right away so I tend to jump away from them with neutral+b or side+b to go back to neutral.

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I agree with everything people here have said. I've been using ZSS A LOT, as my secondary character... and for people that roll a lot, I tend to use the forward tilt with the C stick often to do some good damage while they're rolling. That, and grab + down throw + up attack.

Cancel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Diaz30
When people roll alot against me I space them out with my forward kick since it is pretty fast after all.

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
I stun them with a semi-charged down smash (which may or may not do more damage than no charge) to make sure they don't end up getting away before I can either fsmash or Boost Kick. If it comes down to it, a swift kick or Plasma Whip won't hurt to get them away from you.

LordFluffy

Smash Apprentice
I find that its a matter of reading where they're going to roll, if they're close to you and often roll behind you a quick pivot Fsmash Works, going away, dash attack works, side B is good for spacing a roll decently far away. and the Grabs active frames are also brilliant for that as well.

comes down to reading the roll in the end, read it wrong and there's a good chance you're takin a blow to the face.

Top Bottom