• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Properly Set Up an Online Match

Sephiroth27

Smash Ace
Ever since the release of Super Smash Brothers Melee, fans across the world demanded online play. We got no such luck with Melee (except with that PSO bull****) and so if we really wanted to play other people we had to do some traveling. For the most part it wasn't that big of a deal since playing in-person is overall more beneficial/enjoyable (for most), but having online would still be extremely convienient for those that don't like to travel, are not able to travel, or for those times when you just don't feel like it. With the release of Super Smash Brothers Brawl our demands were met with online play. It's ****ty online, but it's online nonetheless. We are not fortunate enough to have random 1v1's or 2v2's with any setting we like, so we have to find some people. So we get ****ty online and we have to be troubled to find someone and add their friend code(s) just to play 1v1's or 2v2's with stock/no items etc. This is already very disappointing, but there's no reason to make it a pain in the ***. Allow me to go into detail.

Spamming

When someone is looking for a match they'll say something similar to "1v1 anyone?" or maybe "Need 1 more for 2v2." That's fine. There is absolutely no problem with that. Sometimes, however, you'll get someone who will copy their request. After that they will paste it and press Enter over and over again. When actual civilized beings are trying to communicate they get bombarded by "1V1 ANYONE PLZZZZZZ!!!" It's not exactly the biggest problem in the world since they would have to spam it many times and you would have to look away from your screen for a while to miss your future opponents response (and sending a private message to someone shows up in bright blue), but when it's a full room with several people talking and someone is spamming it just gets irritating. There's no reason for it. In fact, everyone would really be better off just sending private messages to each other.

Going Afk/Signing Off

When you are going to play someone make sure to let them know you are going to be afk or that you are going to sign off. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to set up a game with someone and they randomly stop responding. It's like...what happened? Did you suddenly lose all your fingers and so you can't type anymore? I'm sure there have been situations where the phone rings or someone is at the door. There are many common reasons for someone to suddenly go afk, but I can guarantee you that there are many times where the person completely lost their attention. It's frustrating and rude. As for signing off, there's no excuse for that either unless you lost internet/power (which doesn't occur often anywhere). Bottom line: IF YOU ARE GOING TO SET UP A MATCH THEN DO IT IN AN ORGANIZED AND EFFICIENT MANNER AND PLAY. Do NOT try and start a match when you know you're going to be eating dinner soon or you have to leave. I don't need more reasons to gouge my eyes out when it comes to Brawl.

Knowing the Rules/Hosting

Ok so now you and your opponent(s) have confirmed a match. You're all ready to go but wait...what are the rules? Before you play make sure everyone is in agreement about the rules and you know who's hosting. Today (the day I typed this) someone was asking for a 2v2. I immediately responded and said I would play. They asked me if I already had a teammate and I said "Yes." They said "Ok, I'll add you now." and then they immediately signed off. They assumed that my teammate was playing on my Wii as well. So now I have this person added on my friends list hosting a game that my teammate won't be able to join. They stopped hosting their game a few minutes later, which at that point I was hoping they were going to sign back on to say something like "Seph the room is up." But no, instead they typed a little message in the comment bar on wifi that said "Seph join." ****ing wow. There are no other spots left on my arms to cut without re-opening previous wounds, so I had to start on my legs. If you are hosting it should be your job to know all the people you need to add, and it should be EVERYONE'S job to understand what the rules are set to. There's nothing better than getting a game started and mid-match a ****ing item spawns on the stage.

In conclusion: Find people, get everyone to agree on the rules, understand the hosting situation, and play. Don't **** around.

Top Bottom