• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Practice Solo?

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Longtime lurker, first time call-- er, poster?

So I don't have friends to consistently practice with at the moment, and I'd like to get better. I came from Brawl (main G&W and ROB) and decided to make my primary Charizard because...
  • Dem disjointed attacks
  • Never mained a "heavier" character before
  • Unique playstyle
  • It's f***in' Charizard, yo.
I know practicing against bots are ill-advised, and I am starting to attend more events, but is there any way I can get effective practice on my own for now?

metroid1117

Smash Master
When practicing alone, I usually work on smoothing out mobility options (maximizing dashdance range, polishing wavelands, Fly/glide tricks, etc) and target practice with sweetspotting DTilt and BAir. However, if you're just picking up Charizard, I'd recommend just bashing on CPUs and figuring out how his moves link together.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
When practicing alone, I usually work on smoothing out mobility options (maximizing dashdance range, polishing wavelands, Fly/glide tricks, etc) and target practice with sweetspotting DTilt and BAir. However, if you're just picking up Charizard, I'd recommend just bashing on CPUs and figuring out how his moves link together.
I feel I've got a good feel for how his moves can be chained together for the most part for now (currently practicing how to use his Up-B out of shield and as a combo finisher). What fly tricks do you practice though? His fly seems pretty straightforward, the only neat things I've seen done with it so far are Dair combos and attacking mid flight to cancel it.

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
Fly/Glide's pretty damn versatile, though it looks fairly one-dimensional on the surface. Here's some stuff you can pull off, in case you haven't seen them yet:

- Using Fly on the ground, cancel the super jump with an air dodge onto a platform.
- Using Fly on the ground, jump while rising to lessen the jump.
- Using Fly on the ground, attacking during the super jump.
- B-Reversing/Wavebounce glide cancelling as a juke when recovering high.
- Using Glide to ledge-stall, or using the Glide attack from the ledge to recover with ridiculous priority.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Fly/Glide's pretty damn versatile, though it looks fairly one-dimensional on the surface. Here's some stuff you can pull off, in case you haven't seen them yet:

- Using Fly on the ground, cancel the super jump with an air dodge onto a platform.
- Using Glide to ledge-stall, or using the Glide attack from the ledge to recover with ridiculous priority.
Been practicing the b-reversed fire wall for recovering already, but those other tricks mentioned are pretty cool.

Wonder if adding a hitbox to Fly would be OP... Seems like an easier way to continue a chase, or perhaps using it to gimp people recovering high by sending them off to the sides? Feel like Charizard has a super rough time killing off the side. Always ban Dreamland just because of that ceiling.

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
Been practicing the b-reversed fire wall for recovering already, but those other tricks mentioned are pretty cool.

Wonder if adding a hitbox to Fly would be OP... Seems like an easier way to continue a chase, or perhaps using it to gimp people recovering high by sending them off to the sides? Feel like Charizard has a super rough time killing off the side. Always ban Dreamland just because of that ceiling.
You'd be surprised. Ftilt, sweetspotted Bair, sweetspotted Dtilt, reversed Nair's final sweep, sweetspotted Fair, SideB, Fsmash... Charizard has plenty of options to kill off the side.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
You'd be surprised. Ftilt, sweetspotted Bair, sweetspotted Dtilt, reversed Nair's final sweep, sweetspotted Fair, SideB, Fsmash... Charizard has plenty of options to kill off the side.
Dat Bair though, so hard to sweetspot.

Fair pushes to the side? I always feel like they go to the upper corner or off the ceiling. Bad DI on their part?

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
Dat Bair though, so hard to sweetspot.

Fair pushes to the side? I always feel like they go to the upper corner or off the ceiling. Bad DI on their part?
Nah. The Fair has two hitboxes. His arm/shoulder sends people up, while his claw sends people significantly more forward. (Though as far as I know, people usually DI it upwards.)

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095

I'm no Charizard main, but Fly on the ground to chase after your opponent and immediately spiking them for added damage, seems like something that would be useful. Or is that a horrible, horrible idea?

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
I'm no Charizard main, but Fly on the ground to chase after your opponent and immediately spiking them for added damage, seems like something that would be useful. Or is that a horrible, horrible idea?
If you can pull it off, that's grand. However, if you need Fly to chase your opponent, you're probably better off trying to finish your opponent off the top.

metroid1117

Smash Master
If you can pull it off, that's grand. However, if you need Fly to chase your opponent, you're probably better off trying to finish your opponent off the top.
IMO it depends on the opponent's fall speed, their %, and the height of the ceiling. For example, if you DAir an opponent but Fly -> up+B won't kill, you can attempt to Fly -> DAir them onto a platform to continue the combo.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Theres some tech you can practice alone. B-reverse and wavebounce glide are both extremely useful. Practice it on the ledge as glide hog could get you kills one day. Practice sweetspotting a lot also. I find that having tap jump on makes having multiple jumps kind of a bane when trying to sweetspot.

To add to this, practice all forms of recovering from the ledge with invul. Wavelanding back on to stage as fast as possible into jab/grab/Usmash. Or immediately glide attacking to punish tethers or to use its slight invul to get back on.(It's still kind of risky.)

As for grounded mobility options, practice wavedashing out of shield into grab/jab as you're going to want to learn to punish smash attacks as hard as possible. Also pivot f-tilt and pivot jab are quite easy but incredibly useful once you get them down 100%.(Tilt the stick opposite direction during initial dash then jab/ftilt)

Glide tricks on platforms if you want to be flashy. Slide your thumb from the Y-button into glide to glide as early as possible, hold down slightly, then glide attack on to platforms. If done right you'll edge cancel and cancel all lag on it.

Practice your techchase options on all sorts of stages. Set the CPUs to run or play computers and just dthrow them under platforms or bthrow them on to platforms. Charizard has quite a bit of weird happenings. Example he will end up on platforms when he does short hop Dair/Uair on stages like Warioware. So try to get the timings down so that doesn't happen or learn other tech chase options.

Don't underestimate what you can get down playing by yourself. A lot of things that are simple will win you matches so you don't want to miss them!

ShadowShlong

Smash Cadet

I've used glide attack from the ledge to a lot of success, but also sometimes i'll get hit as soon as i initiate the glide and just be very dead having no jumps. Am i sitting on the ledge too long, not attacking out of glide soon enough? And i just feel like ledge-stall with glide is so very risky to where it's not even worth it, no invulnerability and getting hit means almost certain death

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
I've used glide attack from the ledge to a lot of success, but also sometimes i'll get hit as soon as i initiate the glide and just be very dead having no jumps. Am i sitting on the ledge too long, not attacking out of glide soon enough? And i just feel like ledge-stall with glide is so very risky to where it's not even worth it, no invulnerability and getting hit means almost certain death
I don't use glide to ledge-stall myself, though I see and hear of plenty of people who do so. I think they do it mostly when their opponents are away from the ledge, though. As for using glide attack from the ledge, it sounds like you're not performing it fast enough. The idea is to grab the ledge, drop off, and immediately glide attack while you still have invincibility from grabbing the ledge.

Top Bottom