• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to practice SDI?

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
So I am trying to get better overall fundamentals in PM right now like WDing, WL on stage, and what not and all of which I can practice by myself. This is nice because I don't have a person to play with ATM, but I don't know a good way to practice SDI by myself. Are there any methods to practicing this?

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Start by learning the SDI for ledgetechs if you haven't already. That should get you comfortable with the mechanics of SDI.

Player -0

Smash Hero
You can use the bomb from Star Fox that hits multiple times (B Bomb).

Other than that just keep awareness to use SDI in matches. It's hard to remember to do it. Don't really worry about fancy dual stick SDI. Just mash both in 1 direction when you get hit.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
you might be able to just let a level 9 with really aggressive ai (don't know which ones have that, though...) beat the **** out of you and just practice sdi-ing hits so you can get used to hitting the input during hitstun, since part of sdi, from my limited understanding, is needing to anticipate getting hit so you can be ready to do the input properly.

waygu

Smash Lord
the hard thing is realizing how fast the window for sdi goes away man.
i only started sdi'ing things picking up fox and going ham and thinking of asdi'ing down for safety or trying to amsa tech while getting unexpectedly hit.

if you can predict something like a fox jab > upsmash or link upb coming you can sdi in those situations to start, after that it's literally roll your sticks really fast in an advantageous way as the 'pow!' animation is still going on

Mentor

Smash Cadet
Step 1 go to onett
Step 2 position yourself so your character lines up with the grey pipes in the middle building of the stage
Step 3 get hit by the car @ 0% & try to SDI to the left & di to the left so you hit the yellow house to the left if u fly over it u didn't SDI/ di correctly
Step 4 after hitting the house 10 times in a row reposition yourself slightly to the right ie in the flowerbeds next to the grey pipes & repeat
The car hitting you has about 13 freeze frames ie u have 13 SDI inputs. Realistically you can only really get three maybe four.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Step 1 go to onett
Step 2 position yourself so your character lines up with the grey pipes in the middle building of the stage
Step 3 get hit by the car @ 0% & try to SDI to the left & di to the left so you hit the yellow house to the left if u fly over it u didn't SDI/ di correctly
Step 4 after hitting the house 10 times in a row reposition yourself slightly to the right ie in the flowerbeds next to the grey pipes & repeat
The car hitting you has about 13 freeze frames ie u have 13 SDI inputs. Realistically you can only really get three maybe four.
Which character were you using? Wouldn't this test be exclusive to certain weights/collision box sizes?

Last edited:

Mentor

Smash Cadet
*shrug* I only practice SDI w/ Zelda & Sheik. Only the positioning changes in Step 2, so you gotta trial & error it for your individual character.

Update: Just tested it w/ MK & Ganon, my method works fine, just gotta figure out the right position to practice. It is slightly different than Zelda's.

Top Bottom