• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to practice grab combos and precise neutral aerials?

gapw

Smash Cadet
On a recent Wizzrobe stream I asked them as a player several weeks into the competitive game what I can do to develop my playing since I've begun to get shuffling and basic movement down. Their response was to work on my grab combos and being able to put my neutral aerial and grab wherever I want so that I can be able to start combos, as those are the two moves that start combos.

This is a good starting point, but I want to know a bit more about how I can practice these things.

First of all: how can I work on getting more control over my neutral aerial and grab? They said that being able to put these moves wherever I want and capitalize on my opponents mistakes with them is how I'll be able to start combos. But what can I practice to get more control over my neutral aerial? I've been doing it out of dash or just forward jump for now, but I hear that doing it out of dash is especially bad and that I should be able to control the distance of my jump and apply drift to sort of fade away from my opponent. So in short- what kind of neutral aerials should I be using and what can I practice alone to make them precise?

Second of all: how do I practice my combos? Even if I could space neutral aerials well or get a grab, I'm unsure of how I can develop combos from these starters. Is there a good way to sort of study combos alone so that once I get a grab I'm aware of where to take it, or do good Falcons just sort of rely on experience and intuition to take a grab or neutral aerial or even down aerial to new places?

So in short- how can I practice my combos alone and practice being able to put my neutral aerials wherever I want (fading away, going a short distance ahead, going backwards and drifting in, going a long distance, that sort of thing)?

Myst0

Smash Cadet
to practice combos I installed 20xx (so computers have random DI) pack on my computer and played against a lvl 1 bowser, he is so big you can do alot of things on him and just combo the living crap out of him and its actually pretty fun. you can play against bowser and just practice nair at low percent -> nair -> nair etc then when he gets higher you can do nair -> uair -> knee. then after wrecking bowser forever then you can move to floatier characters (my favorite is marth and link) because I can still practice my nair carry and nair -> grab, so yeah just play a ton and your combo game will get better.

strongboy

Smash Cadet
Play people & try & learn different ways to use nair & pay attention to how you're hitting with it. It's got a big hitbox so something to learn right away is how to space it so they can't get ez shield grabs.

For throw stuff, there's a Falcon index thread that's stickied with tons & tons of info. You should be able to find throw follow ups there no problem. GLLLLLLLL

Top Bottom