• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to play ROB's defense?

Sacredden

Smash Cadet
I have had an issue for awhile when playing at my VG Club of players who can string combos real easy into ROB. Sure everyone says nair and air dodge, but once a combo starts on ROB, I feel like there is not a way to escape except air dodge because my aerials are all to slow except fair. Is there a way to prevent or stop ROB from being comboed?

My other thing is I am wondering is how everyone else approaches edge campers and rushdown players. xP

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Nope. You just gotta deal. Mix up nairs and pray to god they don't read your air dodge. It's a common problem all R.O.B players struggle with

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
Yeah, Rob's heavy weight and large hurtbox makes him all too easy to combo. If you're in an okay position for it (which is quite rare, and pretty much only ever happens with Ness' F-air combos), F-airs can work, but you need good timing on it, and it has poor range.

InsaneSanity

Smash Rookie
NNID
InsaneSanity
3DS FC
3797-7902-2713
From my experience I just try to DI away and get to the ledge. At least at the ledge you got some get up options. If you have a gyro in your hand, try Z-dropping it, maybe your opponent will be hit by it and it gives you time to get away and establish sufficient ROB spacing.

By edge campers, I assume you mean people who wait at the edge while you are recovering and try to gimp you or otherwise prevent you from regaining stage control. Definitely learn how to throw gyros back on stage and angling lasers to clear the ledge for yourself. Mixing up your gyros and lasers can really keep your opponent off guard.

Rushdown characters really give me trouble but spacing is key. I've found that F-tilts can be a great and quick "get away from me" option if timed right. Mix up gyros, lasers and F-tilts.

Take these points with a grain of salt, I'm a fairly new Smash player myself.... ^-^'

Top Bottom