• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to play as Dankey Kang by DKbill ft. DKwill

How to play as Dankey Kang by DKbill ft. DKwill

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
Blueberry Kong submitted a new guide:

How to play as Dankey Kang by DKbill ft. DKwill - An intermediate guide on how to play as Donkey Kong.

How to play as Dankey Kang

by

ft.

Introduction

I love Donkey Kong, and I know a lot about him. Pretty much everything I know is from DKwill's amazing Donkey Kong, in Brawl and Smash 4. No, he did not physically write this guide, but I've talked to him a lot about it, and had...
Read more about this guide...

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Not bad, the only part I would revise is your advice about down special in the air. I use it all the time and spike people consistently with it. The good thing about down b is that you can make hard reads with it without being punished, because you're aiming to hit them with that second slap, not necessarily the first one. And your enemy finds out that if he EVER wants to go offstage to ledge guard you while you as Dk are above him, that he is playing a dangerous game. Nobody ledge guards me (if I'm above them in any way at all) for example, off stage after they play me a few times. I also go after people with it with my own ledge guards if I feel the bair or fair isn't giving me the options that down special can. If I had a capture card I could send you replays showing this...and of course the reason I have beef with this is that you're passing this off as an intermediate guide.

Last edited:

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
Not bad, the only part I would revise is your advice about down special in the air. I use it all the time and spike people consistently with it. The good thing about down b is that you can make hard reads with it without being punished, because you're aiming to hit them with that second slap, not necessarily the first one. And your enemy finds out that if he EVER wants to go offstage to ledge guard you while you as Dk are above him, that he is playing a dangerous game. Nobody ledge guards me (if I'm above them in any way at all) for example, off stage after they play me a few times. I also go after people with it with my own ledge guards if I feel the bair or fair isn't giving me the options that down special can. If I had a capture card I could send you replays showing this...and of course the reason I have beef with this is that you're passing this off as an intermediate guide.
lol... I added a little something just for you, but really not as good as you think it is. very meh, as will has said

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
All you had to say is that it is a very effective counter-edgeguarding tool if the enemy decides to go off stage while you are in any higher on the screen than they are, and can be timed to where the second slap hits, providing an angle that dair and fair wouldn't have provided.

Waddler-D

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Waddler-D
As I said in your guide's comments, I would highly look into setting Special Move to the C-stick. I was playing around with DK in Training and I've learned that if you press up on the C-stick when dashing with DK, it kind of gives him a bit of a foxtrot in his dash animation, so it cycles through the first few frames of his dash. I've then noticed it's very easy to throw out a Fsmash or a pivot Fsmash and can allow for some mindgames. Not to mention, quick access to DK's Up-B and Down-B out of a dash is always a plus.

Last edited:

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
As I said in your guide's comments, I would highly look into setting Special Move to the C-stick. I was playing around with DK in Training and I've learned that if you press up on the C-stick when dashing with DK, it kind of gives him a bit of a foxtrot in his dash animation, so it cycles through the first few frames of his dash. I've then noticed it's very easy to throw out a Fsmash or a pivot Fsmash and can allow for some mindgames. Not to mention, quick access to DK's Up-B and Down-B out of a dash is always a plus.
Seems pretty interesting to me. I'll look into it when I get the chance. I do recall watching a video about it and it seemed ok, but I can't seem to find it.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Waddler,
So I tried this the other day and at first thought it was nothing I couldn't already do by tapping forward twice on the joystick...but I figured out that yes you are right, the foxtrot can lead to a simple forward smash, and might be beneficial every now and then as long as they are the right distance away.

Last edited:

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
Waddler,
So I tried this the other day and at first thought it was nothing I couldn't already do by tapping forward twice on the joystick...but I figured out that yes you are right, the foxtrot can lead to a simple forward smash, and might be beneficial every now and then as long as they are the right distance away.
I guess I have to look into this now lol.

Sween14

Smash Rookie
Not only is this a great guide, but as I was reading it, and playing FG, we got matched up together. I got to see the moves real time as I read. 10/10 would do live training sesh again!

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
Not only is this a great guide, but as I was reading it, and playing FG, we got matched up together. I got to see the moves real time as I read. 10/10 would do live training sesh again!
Haha dude that's crazy. I remember playing For Glory for like the first time since the game came out, and I got paired with a DK. I only checked my smashboards today, but that was totally you I played wednesday! Your DK's not too shabby my friend. You can add my NNID DKbill if you want to play some more sometime :D

Top Bottom