• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Perform Shield Stopping

ThaQAtaQ

Smash Rookie
I have seen many videos of pro-diddy kong players performing a "shield stop" maneuver to approach.

It looks like a dash immediately into shield (with very minimal lag)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCxRE7KzOps
Seen @ 0:53, 1:17, 1:25 etc

This seems like a fantastic option for approaching, but I can't seem to replicate it. Can anyone explain (in detailed frame data) how to perform this AT?

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
I have seen many videos of pro-diddy kong players performing a "shield stop" maneuver to approach.

It looks like a dash immediately into shield (with very minimal lag)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCxRE7KzOps
Seen @ 0:53, 1:17, 1:25 etc

This seems like a fantastic option for approaching, but I can't seem to replicate it. Can anyone explain (in detailed frame data) how to perform this AT?
Do you mean Dash into Shield?

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Maybe.

It seems like he is cancelling momentum. And performing short dashes. Is there a timing to do this?
It looks like he is just foxtrotting into shield or maybe even walking at points. There is no specific timing to it.

ThaQAtaQ

Smash Rookie
Practicing in training..what it seems to be is a dash->crouch->shield

The crouch seems to shorten the ending lag of the dash allowing the shield to come out sooner.

Goldenratioboy

Smash Rookie
Practicing in training..what it seems to be is a dash->crouch->shield

The crouch seems to shorten the ending lag of the dash allowing the shield to come out sooner.
Dash, and then without releasing your control stick, pull the shield button.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Do you have a video clip demonstating what you described?
You already posted a video of ZeRo doing it so I don't know what video I could provide you with. I don't have a video of the controller input if that's what you're asking for, but it is exceedingly simple (just tap and hold your stick in a direction and then press shield).

ThaQAtaQ

Smash Rookie
(just tap and hold your stick in a direction and then press shield.
I will try this tonight.

However, I could have sworn that the shield doesn't get activated when the control stick is held down. Don't you need to let go of the control stick?

Top Bottom