• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to not suck with Ryu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueShadow.EXE

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlueShadow.EXE
3DS FC
2036-9070-3056
So, I really want to make Ryu a secondary, I just want to have a little more to choose from than Roy and Bowser. To me anyway, playing as the same character over and over gets kind of stale. I've heard my friends irl telling me I would like Ryu. But I'm really bad with him... I just want some tips from people who are great with him. Thanks!

malicecrossrevolver

Smash Apprentice
I found that you need precision for Ryu. So stay close and keep your cool. Getting close to your opponent makes them anxious and they will want to roll away, grab, or push you back. Hop in the direction they will roll and land with an tap A; If they rush for a grab, hop straight up and back-tilt; if push try to push you back then try to parry it. Ryu is dangerous close up, so if you keep your cool you can land a good amount of combos and smash attacks. And his 'parry' is a pretty sick intimidation move so you should practice that. Parry -> standing_hold-A. Sure-you-can be good with Ryu.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I found that you need precision for Ryu. So stay close and keep your cool. Getting close to your opponent makes them anxious and they will want to roll away, grab, or push you back. Hop in the direction they will roll and land with an tap A; If they rush for a grab, hop straight up and back-tilt; if push try to push you back then try to parry it. Ryu is dangerous close up, so if you keep your cool you can land a good amount of combos and smash attacks. And his 'parry' is a pretty sick intimidation move so you should practice that. Parry -> standing_hold-A. Sure-you-can be good with Ryu.
What is parry?

malicecrossrevolver

Smash Apprentice
Well actually everyone can do it. You just hit the block button when an attack is about to hit you. But when Ryu does this motion, he does the parry motion that is done from Street Fighter 3. Ryu's parry block is special because he does a special stance and there is a unique sharp sound when it is performed. It's scary when you get it down. Here is a famous video of Ken Parrying Chun Li's Lighting Legs.
But yeah, the cool down time after a parry is pretty fast. So you can follow it up with a powerful attack after like a Shoryuken.

Last edited:

BlueShadow.EXE

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlueShadow.EXE
3DS FC
2036-9070-3056
One more question, is there somewhere where I can just find a list of his unique attacks, like true tatsumaki I mean. Thanks!

HornBill

Smash Rookie
What is parry?
He's talking about a powershield when he says parry.

One more question, is there somewhere where I can just find a list of his unique attacks, like true tatsumaki I mean. Thanks!
Ryu has one special input on his side b (tatsumaki) and up b (shoryuken), two special inputs on his neutral b (hadoken) and none on his down b (focus attack), here's a full list assuming you're facing right:

Neutral b (hadoken):
- Quarter circle forward ↓ ↘ → + a or b (stronger version of the normal hadoken)
- Half circle foward ← ↙↘ → + a or b (flaming Shakunetsu Hadoken)

Side b (Tatsumaki):
- Quarter circle backward ↓ ↙ ← + a or b

Up b (Shoryuken):
- → ↓ ↘ (think of it has forward + quarter circle foward) + a or b (in addition to dealing more damage and knockback than regular up b it also has invicibility and produces no landing lag)

You should also look into ryu's negative edge, showed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auj4YDhxWFo

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom