• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Apex 2015 How to not be freaked out under pressure?

fizzleDX

Smash Cadet
NNID
fizzleDX
3DS FC
4141-4080-3072
Well, I'm gonna be one of the youngest players at APEX probably. Wii U Singles. I'm already worried, since people might judge me based on my age, and I'm extremely self-conscious. Also, since there are gonna be a ton of people at the event, I'm going to be really intimidated, and also I'm kind of worried, since I don't have a Wii U, I haven't practiced Sm4sh with any GC controllers, but I have played other Smash games with them. I only have the 3DS version of sm4sh.

So I'm just wondering, how would I keep from breaking under pressure XD

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
Okay, coming from someone who was nervous when he first went to Xanadu(with over a 100 people there mind you), I'll give you a few tips you could use.

• Playing a bunch of friendlies helps you get used to the setting and environment you're in. You can take a couple of tips from your opponents too that could help you in your matches
  • Talking with others seemed to help me out as well, not only to just gush about certain things but it helps you feel less distant from everyone else there. Just make sure not to butt into every conversation though avoid looking obnoxious.
  • Have a drink of what you like
  • Observe everyone else
  • Most importantly is to have fun. Play to win of course, but have fun at the same time.
I'm not really the best at advice though, but here's a video to also help you out. It's actually quite suited to you.

Also about your age, I don't think your age will be that big of a deal to others. I had the same thoughts as well going to Xanadu(it was a few weeks before I turned 16) so I mostly kept it under-wraps, but I did tell two others who were older than me and they didn't seem to care at all.

Besides look at Wizzrobe. Dude's only 16(or 17 dunno when his birthday is) and from what I've seen of him he's a beast at Project M with Sonic. You gotta start somewhere and the younger you are, the better it is for you to get more experience and perfect your skill as time moves on.

Hopefully this helps you out!

Last edited:

fizzleDX

Smash Cadet
NNID
fizzleDX
3DS FC
4141-4080-3072
I got the controller thing figured out, I'm just gonna pick up a pro controller, or use a GC if it feels right.

But since I'm leaving right after 6th period 2:04ish, it'll be 5 by the time i get there, and I'm in the E category with matches 5 - 7 so I might not have time to play any friendlies.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
Go for the fun of it. The trick is to not be nervous, just consider it a learning excersize. I'm doing that because I'm going and I'm probably going to get wrecked.

Top Bottom