• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to make windows XP run fatser!!!!!!!!

kimimaru5

Smash Rookie
Yeah so this is some stuff i picked up in the last 7 hours about making your computer faster:

Registry Clean Up

As you surf the web, use stuff, or bassically get on your computer your computer builds a registry of everything. By being on the computer alot or for a long time that registry can become HUGE and take up alot of space. So this is what you do:

Find a registry clean up site that offers a free download. I have regcure and it found like 15 thousand problems. Im using it at this moment.

Follow the steps to get rid of preoblems

Do this regularly every month or so.

Defraggmentation

okay so imagine a humongous store with thousands of prducts all neatly arranged. Now imagine that store with 10,000 more products. No way they can all fit right? So the products have to be rearranged. By doing that you spread products of the same kind apart. Get it?
The more stuff u have in your registry the more spaced out things get and it can take up a HORRENDUS amount of space. If it's spread far apart than it can accually make your computer slower o.o So here's what you do:

(will get back to this lol since im still in the middle of RegCure and u can't have anything open during Defragmentaion unless you want it to be skipped.)

Try this my computer>c drive> properties>tools>defrag

If that don't work wait like 30 minutes for me to edit it into this post

kimimaru5

Smash Rookie
1: because some people don't know about them
2: because everyone isn't a master with computers

Posted this because some people might have the same problem i had. They need to make there comp go faster but don't know how.

kimimaru5

Smash Rookie
what are some good registry cleanup programs?
im using regicure but u have to give email ( make a side email so they can't spam u with ads )

to get the full version im doing that now and im about to defrag my comp with like 3% space left lol

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
What on earth is Regcure? From what I could gather from Google, it is not extremely reliable or completely safe.

Just get CCleaner, it's totally free, reliable, safe, and it also comes with tools to clear other unneeded system files. It has been reviewed and recommended by various magazines and web sites. No need to pay for or crack a bulky program when you can get a better streamlined one for free.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ samdaballer, GoldShadow, kimimaru5: I use a combination of CCleaner (free download) and Glary Utilities (the pro version, although the free version is good too).

CCleaner I use to securely delete files and as a quick registry cleanup, while Glary I use to remove certain things from the context menu (winrar, poweriso, Microsoft Groove, etc) and as a much more in-depth cleaner. Both come with the ability to completely uninstall and remove programs and also edit what starts up with your computer.

I recommend them both very highly.

[Edit:]

Ack! Sorry for the bump...

Top Bottom