• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to make a Power Rankings List?

TimSin

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this is the right place, so if it isn't then my b.

I help make the power rankings for Smash 4 in a small community, and I was wondering how others make it. I need to know how people accurately make power rankings so I can provide the most accurate pr list possible. Thank you!

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
Whatever you do, don't make it opinion/panel based. Always try to have some metric behind it. If its a small community its typically easy to agree upon one, although not usually at the statewide and greater level.

The system right for you depends on a few things: how many players in the system? are you counting only tournaments in your local area, or all events in the region? Is this 'official' in any way (ie only counting tournament results) or more unofficial (based off of friendlies/moneymatches)? How often do you get data/results to be considered in the PR? How far back do the results/data go (ie do you have an archive of results to consider)?

TimSin

Smash Cadet
Whatever you do, don't make it opinion/panel based. Always try to have some metric behind it. If its a small community its typically easy to agree upon one, although not usually at the statewide and greater level.

The system right for you depends on a few things: how many players in the system? are you counting only tournaments in your local area, or all events in the region? Is this 'official' in any way (ie only counting tournament results) or more unofficial (based off of friendlies/moneymatches)? How often do you get data/results to be considered in the PR? How far back do the results/data go (ie do you have an archive of results to consider)?
I do have an archive of the Spring Season of out tournament results, our number of players are around 8-25, and this is purely tournament based. There were 6 tournaments in spring I believe.

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
The simplest way would just be to use the Smashboards ranking system already in place. Upload the tournament results as they happen (plus any past ones) via the 'rankings' tab at the top of Smashboards, then tag each place for each tournament with the appropriate player's account. (you may need to encourage them to create one just for ranking purposes if they haven't already). By checking each of their profiles you can compare their scores, which is based off of the best 10 placings they had in the past 12 months. Putting your players in order from most to least points every month or so would give you a rudimentary power ranking. In addition, this gives a sense of where the players stack up compared to the rest of the region / country, and helps keep the nationwide rankings accurate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom